Aloha!

Thursday, December 20, 2007

2007 Reflection #6 Nice & Naughty!

Yes, that is Amanda Beard (Olympic Gold medal swimmer) but NO, NO, NO,... the title of this post is not "Nice & Naughty" because of Amanda and her lovely magazine photos from a certain magazine a couple months ago...

It's because that chick on the right is Jen "Naughty" Nottage. I gave Jen that nickname but I won't tell you why!

This is a top 2007 reflection for me because it was more of a lesson-learned. When I first met Jen I will be honest, I didn't really like her but didn't know why...so I went through the list of questions to ask myself..."Am I jealous of her because she bikes faster than most women and I wish I swam as fast as her?" "Is it because when we met she was always giving me advice and I was not used to girls other than my older sister telling me what to do and how to do it". hmmm, she was as nice as could be but for some reason I had a challenging time becoming friends with her...

BUT this year that all changed! 2007 started out much of the same... but this year I wasn't new to triathlon and she wasn't giving me "tri" tips, I was new to motherhood and she was giving me "motherhood" tips. So, once again, stubborn old Bree Wee who thinks she knows it all, can handle it all, and can do it all wonders why someone is giving me tips and making me NOT feel like I can handle it all, know it all, and can do it all...??

I will tell you why, Because I know very little, I can not do it all, and I most certainly am unable to handle it all by myself. Jen caused me to have a BIG wake up call. She was the first person who put me in my place and taught me what it really means to be humble, to accept help, to appreciate, and that I need her.

In my darkest moments it was her helping me through the trials I faced and making me walk through them not around (like most of my friends do). When I dreamed big she never laughed but she also never said, "Yeah Bree, you can do that! No problem". Instead she said, "I believe in you and with hard work you can and I got your back". Few friends look you in the face and let you know that it will be a challenge and that it is a challenge...she sugar coats nothing. Maybe that is why I struggled to become friends... I was used to "easy" friendships.

Jen has challenged me to be the best me I can be. She has pushed me so darn hard that I wanted to dislike her but I only grew to love her. I have truly found that every person that has a "Jen" in their life will no doubt be forced out of their comfort zone, be kept on their toes, have a cheerleader ALL day during Ironman (even 5 weeks after she gave birth) rooting for you as if they are your biggest fan. And you will never ever be able to second guess yourself or your dreams- they won't let you...

I really hope everyone has the opportunity to have a "Jen" in their life... Thanks to the one I got I know 2008 is going to be Naughty!



5 Comments:

Blogger Marni said...

Happy holidays! How amazing all the people you meet in life and how almost everyone has a positive impact in your life! hope you are enjoying a little down time and just exercising :)

December 20, 2007 at 2:10 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Happy holidays! How amazing all the people you meet in life and how almost everyone has a positive impact in your life! hope you are enjoying a little down time and just exercising :)

December 20, 2007 at 2:10 PM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

Hey Bree!

I always find inspiration in your posts! Thanks for checking out mine and commenting. If you get a chance, you'll have to look at the picture I added! It's Hilarious!

December 20, 2007 at 3:37 PM

 
Blogger Akari Ueoka said...

Wow, a true friendship. That's something I have been longing for and have been afraid of. I am inspired by your honest journey with yourself and with her. Thank you!

December 20, 2007 at 11:25 PM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

So true! I had a "Jen" when I was training in the martial arts. Early on as a yellow belt, she kicked my @ss while sparring and made me cry (more from humiliation than pain). I hated her for that. But years later I was still training, unlike many who started with me, and she eventually would play a key role in my black belt test preparations. I miss her ... hope I can find another "Jen" in tris.

December 21, 2007 at 8:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home