Aloha!

Saturday, December 15, 2007

2007 Training Reflection #2

Hmm, I have so many moments to reflect on before heading into 2008... but I will have to put my second 2007 reflection as my swim with Jamie Moracci. This was one of those "suck it up and get over your intimidations" workouts. You know those people that are pretty darn fast and when you get invited to do a work out with them you are thinking..."I am not even in their time zone?" But you go anyways... This was my "go anyways" workout of the year...

Jamie swims pretty darn fast. I heard about his low 50 min. swims for 2.4 miles. So, here I am in the middle of Kailua Bay with Coach Paul and Jamie. Coach Paul says for me to just draft Jamie. (easy for coach to say- he is in a kayak!) Work on my drafting skills, practice a few drafting drills, and hold on. He then furthers to tell me that Jamie will easily be under one hour for the Ironman swim... hmm, that sounds nice...

Jamie is easily maintaining a 56-57 min. pace during the practice. I am working on those drafting skills thinking I wish I could feel this good and effortless on race day! I am then shocked to be hanging on and loving the pull. This day gives me all the confidence I need for the Ironman swim. I still can't believe I was hanging on his feet...

I did get my sub one hour Ironman swim (56 something). I am thinking maybe I was physically able to swim that... but mentally I know I was.

Lesson learned... just go. So for 2008 anytime I get the opportunity to train with some intimidating fast person I am going! COUNT ME IN! It really is a confidence booster.



4 Comments:

Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

That is SO COOL! It makes me want to go ride/swim/run with fast people now - great recap!

December 16, 2007 at 4:07 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Keep up the great blogs! I think you earn the status of pro. You aren't only crazy fast w/ good results but you are an inspiration for many and a great role model for all of us in the sport! can't wait to see you this seasoN!

December 16, 2007 at 5:52 AM

 
Blogger j-mo said...

You forgot to mention that you beat me out of the water by 1 sec in the race!!

December 16, 2007 at 9:16 AM

 
Blogger Ian said...

Bree, one of my best weekends of training in 2007 was 4 weeks out from Kona with Jamie. We took it to each other pretty darn good for 2 days, a good (but painful) confidence builder for sure!
Congrats on a great season!

December 17, 2007 at 4:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home