Aloha!

Monday, December 10, 2007

3:03.11

These are my muddy shoes, yep, I saved em!
3:15 am wake-up call! I am not kidding! Lana wanted to get up super early. I am one of those that wake up with just enough time to get ready to race, get to the race, then do the race. No extra time. Waiting around to race makes me nervous.

I wasn't nervous this morning though. The Honolulu Marathon is one of the most exciting races I have ever done! Over 20,000 people, fire works, a BEAUTIFUL course, a FUN course too, and loads of friends! (there was roughly 30 of us Kona runners that made the trip to Oahu!)


Normal breakfast...Almond Butter and Wee Bee honey on raisin bread and a Cliff bar. I did get to watch Tila Tequila on MTV since we were up so early. As we head out to the race we are welcomed with buckets of rain. I am not kidding! The last of the "worst storm to hit Hawaii in 20 years" was wrapping up it's business!

So, we didn't have the heat & humidity but we had some nice mud puddles and rain. It was pretty funny to tell ya the truth. You could not help but laugh at all the wet people standing in down pours of rain waiting to start. Running around puddles wasn't always an option either-I just ran right through them and was thankful not to endure too many blisters!

Okay, so the race. I really wanted to break 3 hours. I really tried to break 3 hours. And I have no excuses for not breaking it. I gave it my best shot on the day & under the situations. I was only fast enough for a 3:03. I am very happy and despite not getting my goal time I still came across the finish line, threw my arms in the air, smiled, waved, hugged some friends, then wobbled around to wait for my sister to finish her race.

My little sister was running her first marathon. I saw her on one of the out & backs. She was on mile 13 and I was on mile 18. When we passed we shouted to eachother, gave eachother high-fives, then kept on going. But me... I also started crying after she went by. Nearly 4 years ago to this day she was not even conscious. I got the horrible phone call that my sister may not make it to see tomorrow. That her head was swollen, her brain was a bit shook up, her pelvis was broke, her lungs were collapsed, her teeth & face was smashed, she also about bit off her tongue and could not breath on her own. The list went on. Months later she started to get better and eventually ended up in a wheel chair- but doctors were uncertain if she would ever run... When she passed by me I had to cry. My sister was running, and not just around the block, but in the Honolulu Marathon! I could have sworn when she went by I saw some angels holding her up too. It was unreal, like she had help running it...

So, unlike any race before, this was so awesome to experience it with my sister and to see her smiling and laughing all through it! Maybe if I didn't high-five all 30 or so Kona people and goof with my sister I could have saved 3 minutes and broke 3hrs... but the fun I had more than made up for settling with a 3:03.

Thanks to everyone for all the encouraging emails, fun notes, & great laughs, To the Kona people out on the course... meet you there next December!

Mahalo for reading :)




14 Comments:

Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Awesome race, especially in those wet conditions and with your sis running it too. I have no doubt you'll be sub-3 soon. CONGRATS!!!

December 10, 2007 at 12:05 PM

 
Anonymous rachel said...

Congrats Wee!! It was fun to run with you, for about five seconds until you ditched me :) You did SO well and should be so proud. Sub-3 is in you, no doubt, someday when you're not just off a killer IM time. And congrats to your little sis as well!

-- rach

December 10, 2007 at 12:24 PM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

What's more fun than jumping in puddles? Jumping in puddles for 3 hours and 3 minutes with 30 of your bestest friends!

And even more congratulations are in order for your sister! I'm trying not to be jealous that she probably beat my marathon PR even with a medical record like hers. Truly inspiring.

Congratulations again to both of you!

December 10, 2007 at 4:34 PM

 
Blogger James Cotter said...

Dang Bree! I remember the very time I meet you when you were just getting started. It was at the 03 Lavaman when we had a picture taken after I finished. You could see the desire in your eyes for the sport. You have come a bloddy long way and I love following your progress.

I KNOW BREE WEE...THAT'S RIGHT!

December 10, 2007 at 4:35 PM

 
Blogger E. L. F. said...

I don't know what's more exciting- knowing you did a 3:03 marathon or knowing that you also watch Tila Tequila. (guilty as charged)

December 10, 2007 at 6:12 PM

 
Blogger Eric said...

What an awesome race. to be able to see your sister like that is worth more minutes than we can imagine.

December 10, 2007 at 6:21 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Congrats! What a fun DAY - puddle splashing all the way!! Way to go.

December 11, 2007 at 8:16 AM

 
Blogger Amanda Lovato said...

Bree,
I love your spirit! Reading your blog, especially about your sister, is so inspirong on so many levels! Keep up the great work!!!
xxagl

December 11, 2007 at 8:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bree!
Congrats on your awesome race! We can all live vicariously thru you in the wintertime snow and ice! :)
Jen H.

December 11, 2007 at 9:21 AM

 
Blogger Brad said...

It is so great to be reminded that having fun is way more important than a minute or two. Congrats on your race and thanks for keeping us all up to date up here in the North thru your blogging.

December 11, 2007 at 1:07 PM

 
Blogger Emmalee said...

congratulations! Brooke said it was an amazing feeling. I'm excited to see you both in April. Hopefully I can come cheer you guys on. (the whole family right)

December 11, 2007 at 2:59 PM

 
Blogger Emmalee said...

PS. I remember getting that phone call too. Still gives me chils to think of it....

December 11, 2007 at 3:01 PM

 
Anonymous Sarah McMillan said...

Way to go Bree! Congrats!

December 14, 2007 at 1:48 PM

 
Blogger Curly Su said...

wow, great race. 3:03:11 is super impressive...and, it made my heart swell to hear about your sister. a big congrats to both of you...

December 14, 2007 at 3:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home