Aloha!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

101...

Well, truth be told... I am no fish. I swim okay, but not good, not good enough. I am not happy with a 20 for Olympic distance especially since I always wanted to be an ITU girl, I am not satisfied with no 26 for 1/2 Iron, and that 56 for Ironman hopefully won't be my PR forever!

So what's a girl to do? Start back at the beginning... maybe if I started swimming at like 5 or 10 or something early like that I would know about arm entry and elbow position and head placement and hip roll. One of my favorite people ever (my swim coach) has this theory he told me a couple years ago as he watched me swim... "Bree, you swim all heart". That was his nice way of telling me I am one ugly-ass swimmer that really makes no sense in the water but my passion to swim well and my dedication to swim fast pulls me along. He could tell I was giving it my all, trying my best. He watches me more than anyone and he noticed that after almost 5 years of being with him I am not giving up.

He took me to the gym and showed me a weight routine to work swim specific muscles, he is helping me with these on-land drills (like one arm opposite leg in the air kind of thing) and some other funny things for swimming. AND then, after seeing my drive to learn to swim better, faster, he said okay... 101.

6:15 am here I am. 101 class. Today's focus is all about rolling your hips. The 101 class is like "learning to swim class". The 101 crew looked at me strangely when I joined them... why Bree? She can swim... but really, honestly, I swim with my heart and not my body... I was going to learn to swim starting this morning!

So how did it go? Oh gosh I felt like a 5 year old! Kainoa should be in class with me! I was drowning as I tried to roll my hips (I was trying to be J Lo as best as I could), I was gasping for air trying to take a breath but not suck air for 10 seconds like I usually do... it was a challenge. It was fun, I enjoyed just learning to swim from scratch and not race the clock at masters or try to keep up with Mike and Jen. I was in this for me, following my heart, to learn to swim with my body.

The entire workout (I call it a workout because it was hard for me) only totaled 500 yards the entire hour! We did so many drills and after each one the "Awesome Coach Steve" corrected, fixed, changed, and said "do it again"! Krista (I told you about her, the super star swimmer) she was there to give us live demonstrations! We watched her under water, above water, you name it! Man, a picture does paint a 1,000 words!

So, add it to my intense training schedule... 101 for Bree Wee... See ya next Wednesday...



9 Comments:

Blogger Pedergraham said...

Good for you, Bree. I read somewhere that Karlyn P-N got even speedier in her 30s because she changed her stroke. Hope it works for you, too. Then you can combine heart and style! As you rotate your hips, we'll have to call you Bree-Lo.
-Danielle

January 23, 2008 at 2:29 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Oh that sounds awesome Bree! (or shall we call you Bree-Lo? :) I could use some swimming 101 too! Just think how much faster you will be than you already are when you get it down!! Your competition should be scared! :)

January 23, 2008 at 3:51 PM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

Though your heart allows you to swim a whole heck of a lot faster than mine, I swim out of pure desire as well! Swimming is just one of those things my body doesn't quite get :)

So I wish you the best of luck!! Learn some for me too!! :)

January 23, 2008 at 4:09 PM

 
Blogger kelli said...

i don't remember you being an ugly swimmer! i remember you being scrappy as hell in animal ball though:):)

January 23, 2008 at 4:10 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Bree - you're awesome! Technical work is SO IMPORTANT!!! And let's face it: we could all use that. Holy cow, I am REALLY happy that you're no longer in my AG :) This will totally pay off for you - it will! Think of how fast you'll go with LESS efforty. Everyone will eat your bubbles!

January 23, 2008 at 5:29 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

It is always comforting to know that such awesome athletes (YOU) have a hard time nailing the swim...I am a real sucky swimmer ...so these post help me ease my mind that even the BEST struggles with the swim....

But knowing how determined/competitive person you are YOU WILL GET IT DOWN and be on FIRE!!!!!

January 24, 2008 at 4:38 AM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

Oh phew! After your post from last week about "making it hurt" I was afraid you were contradicting the Total Immersian style swimming. I'll accept any theory that gives me a carte blanche to go easy.

""Bree, you swim all heart". That was his nice way of telling me I am one ugly-ass swimmer that really makes no sense in the water..." Haha! You have such a way with words, I love it!

January 24, 2008 at 8:28 AM

 
Blogger triclancy said...

Bree, I love that you are doing this...I would LOVE to "learn" to swim again the right way. Of course, I would also be VERY happy with a 20" oly swim...hahaha! Can't wait to hear how it continues!! Love your blog and your energy!! ~Clancy

January 24, 2008 at 8:49 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Haha, Bree-lo, I love it!! Maybe after 5 years of swimming I could do 101 too? I'm still working on Swimming 01 :P

January 28, 2008 at 11:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home