Aloha!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Costa Rica....


I have been day dreaming so much lately about Costa Rica. Maybe because training has started back up and it seems every time you train you need to have all sorts of stuff! Goggles, cap, bike, bike pump, and bike shoes, run shoes, tight sports bra, visor, nutrition... the list goes on and on!

When you surf you just need a suit and your board. Simple. I miss that.

Maybe I am day dreaming so much because we just moved and the new neighborhood we live in reminds me so much of the neighborhood I lived in during Language University in Costa Rica. A million stray cats & dogs, towels strung over lanai's, 10 cars in every driveway and only 1 or 2 actually work! And it smells like everyone is making empanadas here too...


Some of my best friends ever are my tico buddies. Something about their warm hearts and giving ways. I was reminded of them yesterday when my friend Lauren came for a visit. She always brings you a big smile, some yummy food, and has this "something" about her that makes you believe that people really are good and they mean well. She always somehow makes me feel like "Life is Good"...

"The Italian Rookie" calls me later to tell me his fruit trees are all nearly ripe and that I can have as much as I want! He has pineapple, papayas, & 70 bananas for me to dehydrate, (this is VERY similar to everyday life in Costa Rica). Whatever you have you give. Whatever you need someone will give to you. I love that motto...


You know what else I was really missing? Riding horses to la tienda! The best was just untying your horse, riding along the beach to the store, getting only what you need, then riding home with your groceries! That was so much fun to me. Sitting in traffic yesterday I was day dreaming about those rides and the adventures on horse...

Of all the many lessons I learned in my 5 summers and semester of university in Costa Rica the one that stays with me the most is to live in the moment...



10 Comments:

Blogger Brooke Myers said...

Ahhhh.. some of my most favorable memories take place in the heart of Costa. This one is for popo and his Beerrrrrrrrrrrrr...

January 29, 2008 at 9:12 AM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

What an amazing experience to go live in Costa Rica!! I'm so jealous! The memories and pictures are priceless!

January 29, 2008 at 10:47 AM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

That is one thing I've always wished I'd done...travel and live with other families amongst their cultures. I think that is so cool!

January 29, 2008 at 11:19 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

It looks like no worries in the world...I LOVE the bike photo, it reminds me of the show Lavern and Shirley :) Glad your back bloggin..I needed some new reads :)

January 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

What a great post! The country looks beautiful, and you captured its "life" really well. Like the photo of the sufers in the pool... and the bike photo as well. You're right - too much to get ready and prep when you train for tris... Somehow just grabbing your surfboard sounds much easier. Much more simple. Happy training - and get some good surfing in as well!

January 29, 2008 at 7:46 PM

 
Blogger Train-This said...

I hear surfing is great cross training! WOO HOO Bree!

:-) Mary

January 30, 2008 at 12:05 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Oh Bree - Costa Rica sounds great!! Sounds like life is more simple. We make things too complicated here!! Regardless, it's cold and windy here today so I'm going to be thinking of surfing in sunny Costa Rica to keep me warm! Have a great day!

January 30, 2008 at 1:42 AM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

what a fantastic experience! i have never been to costa rica, although i have been in almost all other spanish speaking countries, and it looks beautiful! i don't know if you knew, but my 'real' job, is a spanish professor, so i am sure that you must speak fantastic spanish with a great accent ;)

January 30, 2008 at 7:07 AM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

Lately I've been dreaming in my spare time about moving to Paris. Maybe Costa Rica would be a better idea. Horses, papayas, and surfing 8 days a week, was your life REALLY like that?

January 30, 2008 at 12:53 PM

 
Blogger BreeWee said...

Yeah, all that and dancing salsa at night! Oh, don't let me leave out school too! BUT I had fun classes, Latin dance, language, Latin cooking (I can make a MEAN empanada)... You would LOVE it! Sad thing, I barely remember any of the language!

January 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home