Aloha!

Sunday, February 10, 2008

5.2 in 30:22...

Pooped and 22 seconds too late... BUT Kainoa's hug made me feel better...

This morning was our local 5.2 mile road race(not 6.2, I know Kona is fun like that). And to make it more fun we are not in age-groups for this race. We are in weight-groups. Kinda fun this way racing in pounds.

Last year I ran a 31 something 8 months post baby and this year I BEGGED my coach to let me "race it". I told him this is the year! This is the time I will break 30 min. (no local girl has done it yet). I told him I am feeling it! I told him I have to do it...

He responds, "Okay, Bree you can do it. But you have to do your progrssive tempo run on Saturday." UGHHHHH... I beg again..."you don't get it, I have to break 30 minutes, I am on pace to do it, please can I do the tempo run Sunday?" No-no-no! he pretty much tells me that I am not at that point in the season to work on "threshold speed" so I can run the race but not fresh. (I need to be working on running on tired legs).

Saturday I do my 2 hour bike ride (includes a 10 mile local TT) that race went great but no need for posting... Then I do the 75 min. run. I then recover every way I know how! Rest my legs, rub my legs, roll my legs, eat good, epson salt bath, you get the idea.... I was still going to give it my best shot to break 30 minutes even though I couldn't get coach to trade my tempo run day...

Race morning: I eat well, mentally prepare well, convince myself my legs are "fresh" and I warm up as if I were tapered. I toe the line with the lead guys and just keep telling myself "time to rock n' roll". I feel strong, I feel pretty good, I get to the turn around and see a 15:30... Oh man! I am thinking I still might pull this sub 30 off! VROOOOM I go as best as I can. I try to reach for that one-more-gear and gosh darn it, I must have left it on the tempo run yesterday! I did negative split by about 8 seconds... BUT no sub 30. 30:22 was the time, 5:50.38 was my pace per mile split.

NEXT YEAR! And here is my awesome support crew:



16 Comments:

Blogger Marni said...

With a family like that...who could be upset about 22 seconds. I love the pics!!!
Great job with the run. You look great!

February 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

CONGRATS! That is smokin' fast on super tired legs. You are awesome! I know, coach likes to do that, but it is SOOO good for us! You are amazing! I was thinking FAST thoughts for you all morning ;-)

E

February 10, 2008 at 12:50 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

WOW, you are smokin fast.....GREAT JOB.....Love the photo's :)

February 10, 2008 at 1:48 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

You WILL get under that 30 minutes next year - NO PROBLEM! Awesome job Bree!!! So impressive on tired legs and still such a FAST pace. As you would say - VRROOOOM! And I love the pics too!! Congrats!! Have a great week!

February 10, 2008 at 1:55 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Gotta go with what Beth said...

You, my dear, are the epitome of HTFU! Awesome! Nice job... mind over matter - I say. If I don't mind, then things just don't matter... right? (At least that's what I try to convince myself ! :). You rocked... and on tired legs. Excellent!

February 10, 2008 at 2:08 PM

 
Blogger Brooke Myers said...

Fun morning Bree for sure.. Nice race - you were totally in your zone this morning.. I loved it!!!!
P.s I had to laugh when Kai fell this morning backwards, what a little nerd.. Ha ha

See you in the morning, nice and early.....

February 10, 2008 at 2:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NICE work, Bree! Sometimes it all about going after that magical mark (30 min)....I love that no local women have broke 30 min and you wanted it. Grrrr! 22 seconds!!! Nice work....still smoking fast. The pics of your boys :) are adorable! Jen H.

February 10, 2008 at 2:44 PM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

Wow! That is amazing! But just think... 22 sec. You can EASILY sweep that next year! :)

Love the pictures! Kainoa is too cute!

February 10, 2008 at 3:07 PM

 
Blogger Chad Holderbaum said...

Wow smokin fast. Especially on tired legs. Great job, and I'm sure you'll break 30 mins next year!

February 10, 2008 at 4:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You spend too much time at Jamba Juice lady....watch out for the rats...they will chase you down Alii Drive all the way to the sewer....22 seconds? Nothing...U get it next year....Rock on button pusher...

February 10, 2008 at 5:07 PM

 
Blogger BreeWee said...

Pat I know it is you that is trying to be "anonymous"... ha ha, I was at Jamba AGAIN today! Did you see me??? Tell Jeff and the rats HI!!!
PS: why didn't you 2 run this morning... scared of a mom??

February 10, 2008 at 5:12 PM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

Great negative split!

Did Kainoa grow out of his Hooters shirt or is your husband on strict orders re: race day outfits?

BTW, Kainoa is such a cutie--live his hair cut!
-Danielle

February 11, 2008 at 2:18 AM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

Ugh! How frustrating!!! It really shows your dedication that you didn't just ignore coach's instructions. Next time take the turns tighter!

February 11, 2008 at 4:29 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Holy smokin' pace Batman! You are speedy and Splish likes speedy chickas. Therefore I don't fit. :-)

p.s. I have my "over-ripe" bananas ready for BreeWee Bread making tonight.

February 11, 2008 at 6:16 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Imagine how fast you could have been if you were fresh. But you stuck with the coach's plan and still kicked butt on that run. Congrats!!

February 11, 2008 at 8:55 AM

 
Blogger Jen in Budapest said...

I love the pics too!! Keep em coming. And wow. I have no doubt you'll do it next time. I really need to find some people who will kick my booty. Thanks for being a blogging inspiration.

February 11, 2008 at 10:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home