Aloha!

Friday, February 8, 2008

Going Bananas!

Hanging on my lanai are 3 bundles of green bananas (soon to be yellow)- mahalo to the Italian Rookie for letting me shop-lift from his fruit farm-ha ha!

The scoop on bananas:
  • A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy, just 2 can easily get you through a strenuous 90 minute workout! Thanks to 3 naturally occurring sugars.
  • Bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax & help with depression.
  • B6 helps with women during PMS and cramps (post workout calf relievers)
  • High in iron... helps regulate blood and anemia
  • Bananas are loaded with potassium, which is a vital mineral, that helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance.
  • A banana contains: 86 calories in a medium banana ,1 gram of protein,3 grams of dietary fiber, 26.9 g carbohydrates, 23.9 g sugar ,467 mg Potassium, 43 mg Magnesium, 27 mg Phosphorus, 7 mg Calcium, 1.3 mg Selenium, .4 mg Iron, Also trace amounts of zinc, manganese and copper, 95 IU Vitamin A, 11 mg Vitamin C, 22.5 mcg Folate (important during pregnancy), .7mcg Vitamin B6, .6 mg Niacin ,.31 mg Pantothenic Acid, .67 IU Vitamin E
  • What is my plan for all these bananas? I am really into dehydrating them these days. So, most will become dehydrated (they taste like candy that way). Then of course I plan to make my special banana bread! I don't bake or cook with sugar (EVER)... so if you dare to try a sugarless banana bread recipe here ya go!
You need: 5 ripe mashed up bananas, 1/3 cup coconut oil (or you can use 1/3 cup real butter NOT margarine), 1 egg(beaten), 1-2tsb vanilla, 1tsb baking soda, 2 pinches Hawaiian sea salt, 5-6 good shakes of cinnamon, 1 1/2 cups of whatever type of flour you use: wheat, spelt, rice, ect. (I like oat flour), a handful or 2 of any type of nuts (if you like them), and (if you prefer sugar you can use 3/4 cup agave).

With a wooden spoon mix coconut oil and bananas. Add in egg & vanilla (agave too if using). Sprinkle baking soda, nuts, and salt over mixture. Add flour last. Stir. Pour into a buttered 4x8 bread pan and bake at 350* for 45-60 minutes.

I made this recipe (I invent a lot of my own recipes) when Kainoa was about 4-5 months old and I wanted to give him some banana bread without sugar... and I wanted it to be REALLY mushy. This is a super moist recipe and you can add in an extra banana if you want! And Brooke, Penn, Jen, Pat, I promise to bring you some dehydrated bananas & bread next week!



13 Comments:

Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

You are so cute....HA! I'm going to try to make some weebread tonight ;-) Thanks! Send over more recipes please.....

E

February 8, 2008 at 1:16 PM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Can you make a big bunch and send it to the states?! Just kidding...it sounds awesome Bree. I think my kids and I might try it out this weekend! We will let you know how it turns out.

February 8, 2008 at 1:23 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

no sugar? i'll have to try it since i really don't let my kids indulge (just me, lol).
thanks for sharing!

February 8, 2008 at 1:42 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

YUM!!! That bread sounds so great!
When you come to Fl for st.A's will you bring me some???? :)

February 8, 2008 at 2:10 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

mmmmmm sounds YUMMY :) It is always great to pick up some good recipes..I just picked some up from Marni's blog too!! NOW that I am cutting out my coffee...I am A HUNGRY woman..so I just scraffed down 2 bananas (which I never eat), but now with all the good info you gave on bananas.....BANANAS here I come to eat you :)

February 8, 2008 at 2:49 PM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

This looks good. I've been meaning to try baking with oat flour and this might just jumpstart me.
-Danielle

February 8, 2008 at 3:38 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Okay - now this is just plain freaky. Coach Jen said that I should give bananas a try before my 6 hour ride tomorrow. She ALSO said that I should carry one with me... Oddly enough - the ONLY bananas left in the store were 1 BUNCH of organic bananas - that were overly ripe. There are 7 total... I'm eating on with PB (hurrah!) for breakfast (as a part of my MAJOR meal before my long ride) and then taking one with me on the ride. And the others? I'm making myself some Wee Banana Bread tomorrow night! The funniest part... I hate bananas, but I eat them because they're great for me.

February 8, 2008 at 5:31 PM

 
Anonymous Naughty said...

I hope that "jen" is Naughty because I LOVE that nana bread:) You brought some to our home right after our son was born and a few days before IM Kona and we gobbled it up in one day.........everyone out there........bake this bread; it rocks!! Naughty (I was struck by how selfess Wee was a few days before her AAA race; and a big one at that; that she would think to bring our little family some bread. That's what makes the Wee's so special)

February 8, 2008 at 6:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great timing...I was JUST talking to folks about how great bananas are and to EAT THEM!!! The bread sounds great...I am not a big cooker, but I will share this with Jerome and he can make it for us! Morgan, our daughter, loves to cook!
Cute pic, too! :)Jen H.

February 9, 2008 at 3:01 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

hummm... banana bread with no sugar. This I must try. Funny you should be talking about bananas today. I don't even know why or where it came from, but I made a Splish suit earlier today featuring... you guessed it, The beloved banana. I'm not sure Dawn will be brave enough to put it up on the "featured" with my Wonder Bread suit! Cheers from snowy cold I'm so done with winter... New England. Brrrrrrrrrrr.

February 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM

 
Blogger dpc said...

Very instructive, Bree. Thank you! Elizabeth (my wife) makes some rocking banana bread, but it has sugar in it. We look forward to trying your sugarless version!

February 10, 2008 at 6:35 AM

 
Blogger Jen in Budapest said...

Wow Bree...Love it! I grew up on banana bread that my mom made but it was loaded with sugar....so maybe I'll try this version. How cool that you're living in Hawaii. Did you grow up there? Anyways, thanks for the facts on bananas -- especially interesting is a post-workout for cramps. Appreciate the info. ;0)

February 11, 2008 at 10:09 AM

 
Blogger Julia said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I went out and got some coconut oil for the first time and made this recipe. YUM! I can't believe how good it was, being sugar-free and all! I even added some toasted coconuts on top, mmmm!

June 18, 2009 at 7:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home