Aloha!

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Lava Kids...

The image “http://www.lavamantriathlon.com/lm-banner.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Every April the Big Island kicks off the triathlon season for Hawaii with the Lavaman Triathlon. This was the very first "real" triathlon I ever saw. It's the first triathlon I ever won too (April 2004), so it holds a special place in my heart.

In 2003 I swam on a relay and watched the other athletes doing the entire race. James Cotter & Jill Savege won and I told myself that by next year I would have a bike, some good run shoes, and I would do it all, no relay, and be a triathlete!

Like I said, it holds a special place in my heart so when I was asked to help with the keiki triathlon I could hardly resist! From today till April 6th each Saturday a bunch of local triathletes from Kona are helping children prepare for their big race... "The Lavakids"

Today we got to meat all 30 of the eager-to-be triathletes ages 7-15. The main topic today was the swim. Hysterically, I was giving them pointers and tips on pacing and breathing and trying to hold back the laughter as everything I told them was something I too, am learning! Then we got in the lagoon with the children and helped them get comfortable with the open water and being in the deep. The swim test was impressive as some of the children are better swimmers than a lot of adults and at the same time a bit sad to see that a few could not even swim without help and they live on an island surrounded by water. BUT, they were eager to become "triathletes" so they conquered their deep water fear.

Until today I felt like I had been training, training, training... now being part of the keiki training I can see the horizon, that all this training will build up for racing! A little piece of me got excited to race triathlon this season... to love it, to challenge and push myself, to hurt, and to continue to encourage others (younger generation), to give it a go...



13 Comments:

Blogger shawn and tracy said...

As a P.E. teacher all I can say is thank you! Offering our time to younger generations is so rewarding. When you see their excitement you will be just as thrilled. Have fun!!!

February 2, 2008 at 5:21 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

what a great opportunity for those kids - and also for you, to see that innocent, eager enthusiasm... so refreshing!

February 2, 2008 at 5:30 PM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

What a wonderful adventure for you and the kids! I think that would be so much fun!

And you're right...we always seem to walk into it thinking about what we're going to teach them, and then we always end up learning something in the process!

Have Fun!

February 3, 2008 at 3:41 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Fantastic! Those kids are SO lucky - what a really great thing to do!

February 3, 2008 at 4:24 AM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

Sounds inspiring and fun at the same time. Swimming in a lagoon sounds so nice!!! You'll have to keep us posted on their progress.

February 3, 2008 at 5:01 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

It is such a good feeling to work with children and see the joy and confidence in them :) I love the photo of you running on the rock...how in the heck did you do it without twisting your ankle?

February 3, 2008 at 5:15 AM

 
Blogger Kerri Robbins said...

Bree,

WHAT FUN!! GEEZ, that tri looks brutal.

I am also helping to start and develop a ten week tri program for kids in Annapolis which will start in April. It will culminate with a kids tri in June. I think the biggest challenge will be to keep their attention and keep it fun. I would love to hear some of your ideas or how they progress and would love to help you in anyway. It's so fun! Cheers

kidstri@comcast.net

February 3, 2008 at 7:03 AM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

What a great way to give back Bree!! Keep us updated as to how it goes!

February 3, 2008 at 12:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most excellent! We have a great Kids Tri Program here...and when they ask me to help them out, I always do! They put on a great Triathlon over Memorial day weekend and each year my friend calls, "How old are your kids?" THEY ARE ONLY 6!!! Not yet. :) Have fun! Jen H.

February 4, 2008 at 1:34 AM

 
Blogger Andrea Ford said...

You're an inspiration Bree. Funny how reading your blog makes me feel like I know you, because I definitely know women like you. Our club is starting a kids program this summer (we have to wait until the snow has melted and the lakes are warm enough to swim in) so I can't wait to read about how your program goes!
Keep up your excellent training and blog entries :)

February 4, 2008 at 9:19 AM

 
Blogger Golam Kibria said...


plasterer sutton
RPS Plastering Service base in Sutton with works carried out with in the M25 and surrounding areas.
I find blogs through the comments that other bloggers leaves on those blogs and so it adds to it just to show different styles and ideas. I have chosen this particular website because It provides help for people to make them feel confident on the web, to know they are welcome to join the conversation and give their opinions. It's important that they know how the structure of blogs workout.

June 26, 2013 at 5:19 PM

 
Blogger ARSHE BONY said...


plasterer sutton

Hi There, I just spent a little time reading through your posts, which I found entirely by mistake whilst researching one of my projects. Please continue to write more because it’s unusual that someone has something interesting to say about this. Will be waiting for more!

October 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM

 
Blogger tushar khan said...


plasterer sutton
I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me.have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.RPS Plastering Service base in Sutton with works carried out with in the M25 and surrounding areas.

November 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home