Aloha!

Monday, March 17, 2008

27,450...

That is my swim total! 27,450 yards/meters is the distance my body swam (maybe even floated and drowned) across the pool & ocean! Back home it usually takes me about 3 weeks to reach that much swimming... The swims were mostly meters in a pool with a couple open ocean sessions in waves that looked like I should be surfing rather than swimming. The final training session of the week was a 2,000 meter base swim with the tempo trainer that I "accidently" left back in Hawaii.

We topped off our week at 30 hours (give or take a minute or two). Good news is I made it out in one piece. The week was all quality and lacked any junk miles so I am actually feeling pretty frisky and not beat to a pulp. I have never seen that many hours of training in my 3-4 years of being an athete & at home with the life I lead I am not sure when I will see that many again so I really dug deep to push the home sick tears aside and focus on training.

The bikes were made up of some hill repeats in a big gear (probably my favorite session of the week) where coach followed us up on a scooter & had me day dreaming of Ironman Japan hills. (note to self: I need more than an 11/21 gearing for St. Croix & Japan). We had a nice long rolling base ride, a group ride chasing being world cup ITU athletes and Brent Mcmahon's bum, a couple recovery rides, and every pool swim we had to ride our bikes to & from practice.

Running was my favorite... a run in the Kangaroo forrest (I got so lost and never did see any kangas!), an 8x1 mile grass track session, a tempo brick run off the bike hauling bum to hang with Loeffler, a recovery run (I still don't know how a run can be considered recovery but I am uninjured so maybe it works), and yeterdays long base run along a coastal trail that took me over 2 beautiful white sandy beaches, along a path called "Hells Kitchen" & "Devil's Trail" you can imagine the path for yourself, along cliffs over looking the coast and surfers having more fun than me, & finally next to a naked beach... (of course I stopped to tan naked too)... just kidding...

The week truly was a good one. And today, Monday, is recovery for me. Next week looks a bit different but much of the same if that makes any sense. Then ONE MORE week and I get to hug my Kainoa!



13 Comments:

Blogger Kellye Mills said...

What a great week!! You did awesome, you toughed it out, and you're stronger for it!! Way to go Bree. You're going to be an amazing PRO athlete this year!!

March 16, 2008 at 12:06 PM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

Great training week...and I laughed about the naked beach! Coach Paul would have had to ride his scooter down there to catch you!!!
Enjoy your rest day and hope that you get to see a kangaroo this week!
-Danielle

March 16, 2008 at 12:46 PM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Wow, it sounds really beautiful there, beaches and all. Have you gotten a chance to sneak out on a borrowed surf board to WOW! your fellow training mates? :-)

March 16, 2008 at 4:10 PM

 
Blogger Brooke Myers said...

Nice Training there sis..
It was great to hear from you the other day...
Remember each experience is a part of the jouney your on....

March 16, 2008 at 6:16 PM

 
Blogger Fresh Life said...

So awesome Wee! I am so proud of you. Kona is homesick for you too!
Love, Bee

March 16, 2008 at 7:33 PM

 
Blogger Brad said...

So great to hear you are totally into the training... it will all be worth it - keep the faith and keep going!!!!

March 16, 2008 at 9:40 PM

 
Blogger TB said...

Holy Training Batman!!! That's what I call a week. Sounds like you're soaking up some serious fitness!

At this rate, you'll be swimming home with no problem.

March 16, 2008 at 11:25 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Wow..that is one big training week!! The best part is that you were in good company for all the quality workouts. One more week!!

March 17, 2008 at 12:14 AM

 
Blogger j-mo said...

Bree - I went out and got a 12-27 casette for St Croix and I was glad i did. I used that 27 on more than just "the beast". I needed ever last tooth of it to climb that damn hill too.
Get proper gearing .. no harm in having a little bit extra gearing just in case.

March 17, 2008 at 3:12 AM

 
Blogger Iain Banks said...

What an awesome week.....looking forward to hearing about this week and hope you can get onto a surfboard :-)

March 18, 2008 at 2:48 AM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

That sounds so fantastic!!! Well, except maybe the hill repeats in the big gear staring at someone's bum... I don't know if there's a bum nice enough to keep me motivated through madness like that.

30 hours?! That's unreal! So what did you do OUTSIDE of training to hold it together for a week like that? More Swamp Thing shakes?

March 18, 2008 at 7:06 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Jones said...

Wow your like super women...

But seriously just added swimming laps to my morning cardio so I'm not running everyday. Just to keep things fresh and ... WOW exhausted

March 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

It is all cool! You are my roomie and I totally understand. We are doing so great here.....Have a great workout on the treadie!

E

March 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home