Aloha!

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Finally saw a Kangaroo...


We have been in OZ just over 2 weeks and I have been bumming about not seeing any roo's yet. Well Happy Easter to me! This morning I saw one! BUT... it looked nothing like I thought they would...
...
For Easter we were served up a 5k and 3x 1k's. The goal: PUSH through any mental blocks that stand in our way. No excuses about the volume we just endured all week, no crying about being homesick on Easter, no wimping out about pains in the hammy or being trashed from close to 30hrs of training... the motto for camp is "confidence" and that was ALL we were allowed to have. A big dish of confidence...
...
The 5k. Our out & back is a nice dirt trail under an umbrella of trees and some kangaroo's in the fields... our mission: to push hard through the "stuff" that fills our heads. Lucky for me Lisa Mensink was with us. I knew if I could hang onto her I would be doing really well. I knew I had to hang onto her if I really wanted to have any sort of amazing running this morning.
...
3...2...1...go! Like normal Bree Wee fashion I go out a bit too hard and on the turn around Lisa is hot on my heals and ready to let her smart pacing punish me. I needed her and she needed me. She is racing at the world cup level and knows women will be in front-she has to learn to let the "bad pacers" go and do her thing, she also knows she needs to hurt to pull in the strong ones that are getting away from her. So, she totally was in control and used me to push herself to a new 5k PR. I used her too when she flew by me. I hung on for my life. I was hurting like never before but did not want to let her go...she pulled me to my new 5k PR too. It was so amazing! Just the 2 of us pushing, pulling, aching, hurting, motivating eachother to a new run pace...a new confidence. Her PR she will have to publish on her own... it was a nice bit faster than mine is all I can tell you and if I was racing ITU this weekend I would be scared of her! I ended up with a 17:28, about 40 seconds faster than my old PR. YES I am stoked about it! It hurt to get after 2 challenging weeks...
...
Now to the 1k's. We all line up and it becomes another "Mensink push Wee" challenge. We are both hurting after that 5k... but no excuses.... (oh, a 1k in American is 2 and a half laps around a track or 1200)
First 1k: 3:20
Second 1k: 3:16
Third 1k: 3:19
...
I am telling you (no joke) I ended in the bushes after all 3 of the 1k's just holding onto my breakfast and my life! I was nearly seeing stars... I have never had such an amazing girl to train with in my life! Lisa truly showed me how to hurt as we ran those 1k's together just torturing eachother worse than if we were to run alone.
...
Lisa will be racing Mooloolaba the ITU World Cup race one week from today... GO LISA GO! I will be in the pro race (non ITU) pretending I am running with her on the same day.
Oh, after the run coach tells us we have one more to go: it ended up being an Easter hunt! It was pretty funny hunting for treats & and even more funny our coach actually gave us treats!
...
Run hard... I am off to swim!
Bree



18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bree.....glad to hear you saw a Roo...You like penguins or Roo's better? Enjoy reading your blogs. Keep up the hard work. I finally got into lavaman. Not ready for it but should be fun!! See ya soon.
P-

March 22, 2008 at 7:46 PM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

That's the funniest looking roo I've ever seen! Actually, I think that'd make me run fast too :-)

Good job in OZ and Happy Easter!

March 22, 2008 at 10:50 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

that is so awesome! that training and the kangaroo! Have a great easter with your training family and I hope your HI family does as well :)

March 23, 2008 at 12:04 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Awesome job on a super fast new PR!! And that's coming off a monster week of training! And those final 3x1K after? That's just mean... :) You've inspired me for my 5K race next weekend. Thanks Bree!

March 23, 2008 at 2:40 AM

 
Blogger Sarah McMillan said...

Your such an inspiration Bree, thank you-just heading out for a long run now and will be pushing myself thanks to you!

March 23, 2008 at 5:15 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Ok... 7 more days at the spa (tee hee) HANG TOUGH and enjoy!!

...eating chocolate eggs wrapped in pretty foil... yum. :-)

March 23, 2008 at 2:46 PM

 
Blogger Brooke Myers said...

Happy Easter.... see you soon...

March 23, 2008 at 4:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bree..Lisa M says you are one tough cookie and there is no quit in you. She also thinks her PRs are no co-incidence either, it comes off the pushing you guys are doing to each other. She predicts great stuff in the Ironman for you.
Dad M

March 23, 2008 at 7:09 PM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

Go Bree Go!! Wow! You are doing so amazing. One more week... soak up every moment. I have a feeling you'll miss training with these super stars when you get home! Have fun!

March 24, 2008 at 12:53 AM

 
Blogger Mira Lelovic said...

Great picture! Your blogs make me tired just reading them :-) Good luck with the race next weekend!

March 24, 2008 at 5:16 AM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

What an amazing day! I would have never thought to run hard just to work my mind. That's why you're such a champ, Bree.

I hope the Easter Bunny brought you some yummy swamp vegetables to juice. Happy Easter!

March 24, 2008 at 7:33 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

VVVRRROOOOOMMMMMM!

Nice job - seeing the stars. You are one, you know...

Way to HTFU for your workout. You are STELLAR!

March 24, 2008 at 8:22 PM

 
Blogger TATI said...

my kind of fun!! only i'd be eating you guys' dust, ha ;)

March 25, 2008 at 10:23 AM

 
Blogger kerri said...

Hi Bree,

Oh my gosh, your sagas in Australia...WOW! You are one tough, talented cookie. So fun to read. Everytime I read them, they made me want to go faster and harder during my workouts. Thanks for the inspiration (again)
Cheers.

March 26, 2008 at 12:52 AM

 
Blogger j-mo said...

hey I saw your clip on the Australian news! I posted a link of it on my blog.

March 27, 2008 at 4:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are famous! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cd1nYQHDUA

Good luck this weekend!!

March 27, 2008 at 12:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice effort in the race yesterday Bree ! Third is fantastic ! Way to go!

March 30, 2008 at 6:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home