Aloha!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hanging Tough...

Just 9 days to go... I am still hanging tough in OZ. Getting my bum kicked and kickin' some at the same time. I have endured my highest volume, most challenging intensitites, and wicked mental games that have me on a roller coaster of highs and lows. In 9 days it will all be over...

I remember coach telling me during Ironman (or any race for that matter) it is really normal to have some high points and great thoughts and some low moments & blahs. I learned that we just have to push through the lows knowing a high is just a moment away. I had a 90 minute stepping run that must have had 72 lows and 73 highs. I went from "I want to walk" to "I am kicking some serious @$$", to "This is riduculous, I could be surfing in OZ", to "I must be running a 5 min. mile"... It was the most insane mental roller coaster ever in my life in sport. Honestly every few strides I went from a high to a low.

Hmm... Oh, I had my first motor pacing too! We had a Friday Group ride that included some studs like Greg & Laura Bennet, Brent Mcmahon, Lisa Mensink, Kim Loeffler, Maki & Hiro from Japan, the Swiss tri team, and a few dozen others. Once the pace picked up I was so excited to be sucking their wheels and taking a nice speedy ride, I even took one pull at the front with Brent. It was exhilorating to be in the mix, feeling strong, confident, and going more speedy than I ever have ridden in my bike life. BUT then we get to a round-about (a turn thingy in OZ) and I hit my brakes (all the ITU studs never hit the breaks and fully sped around the corners) so I got dropped, time trialed and got back on, then we get to another turn and I again slow since I confess I am a bit scared to take a corner at 28-30 mph, so I get dropped, try to get back on... and as I am suffering a scooter (coach Paul) comes to the rescue and I motor pace to the group. It was so much fun! I was feeling my lungs explode and my heart try to jump out of my body as I rode as hard as I could. It pretty much took everything I had to make it... but we finally got to the lead pack! Talk about OUCH! I wish I could down load a watts file or the HR's and speed because it was by far the most ridiculous riding done by my legs!

Oh... after the ride we had to jump off our bikes and run 5 min. full blast, whatever you had left (nothing in my case), then 15 min. easy. I toss my bike, see coach on the scooter, run towards the trail knowing NO SCOOTERS allowed (I was pretty tired of being chased by coach all week), anyways, I ran that 5 min. so hard I bet I out ran all the kangaroos! As soon as my watch hit 5 min. I fell to the ground! I hung onto my knees in pain so bad I thought I just popped out another baby! That was it, that was all I had left in me! The next couple min. I just laid in the dirt, no need to do my 15 min. easy just yet. The couple minutes I laid there felt like 3weeks and 8 elephants ran me over! And when I finally did start my 15 min. easy run I was passed by a woman walking her dog!

Other new stuff for me is swimming. I think I am finally getting a bit more used to the meter thing and the volume "Aussie" swimmers do in one day. This morning was speed morning. We laned up so the fastest people were leading lanes and so forth so you could race the people in the lanes next to you. Of course Greg Bennet, Hiro, Aussie wonder boy 1, and Aussie wonder boy 2, lead, then were the stud women such as Laura Bennet, Lisa Mensink, some other Aussie studs. Okay, now me! I get next to a 14 year old Aussie girl and Aeysha Rollins (my ITU teamate) and some other Aussie boy... Of course I love a good challenge and I have yet to have a GREAT swim here in OZ so I pretty much told myself I have to keep up. AND I raced so hard Max the coach opened the drain and told me that is my puke bucket. Here is the good part... I finally was hitting some respectable 100 meter times... I had a 1:10, and 1:11 in the mix. For me that is AMAZING... I suffer in the swim, I hurt, I cry, I dislike the pool... so I was pretty much calling today my swim day of the year. Luckily for this girl tomorrows swim will be in the surf!

And that is how I have been hanging in OZ the past couple days. Well, I am off to eat! I just got home from ANOTHER swim (yes I had to see that pool 2x today) so I need to eat & sleep and hope the Easter Bunny visits me in OZ tomorrow!

Cheers everyone! Happy Easter...



12 Comments:

Blogger Marni said...

Have a great weekend!! I love your details...hang tough...9 more days!!!

March 21, 2008 at 11:39 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Wow Bree - sounds like an amazing experience each and every day and each and every workout! Way to hang in there!! Hope you have a wonderful Easter!

March 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Well missy... You deserve a nice sugar free extra rich chocolate bunny! Way to go!!!

March 22, 2008 at 2:20 AM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

Go Bree GO! When you get back home, you are still going to be hearing that scooter following you in your sleep!!!
Sweet, sweet swim times. Way to go.
-Danielle

March 22, 2008 at 4:34 AM

 
Blogger shawn and tracy said...

Nice job Bree! You are such a work horse. I will take your 100 times any day. I swam a 1:17 the other day and was super excited(at 6200 ft)...I can't even imagine your pace yet..but I'll get there.
Tracy

March 22, 2008 at 6:19 AM

 
Blogger Carolyn said...

I was pretty much peeing my pants about your run off the bike !! lol too funny. Keep up the good work Bree and I will see you soon in Kona !!

March 22, 2008 at 8:36 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

How totally awesome! You were passed by a woman walking her dog - which meant that you PUSHED YOURSELF SO SO SO HARD! All of this work. Wow. I can' wait to see HOW FREAKIN' AWEOME YOU'll DO THIS SEASON! GO BREE GO!!!

Vrooooommmmm!

March 22, 2008 at 8:49 AM

 
Anonymous Rach said...

Hang in there girl, you are so tough! Love reading about it.. and really, really glad Paul isn't making me do all that ;) Congrats on the incredible 100m times.. all this work is paying off! & tell Hiro I say hi - we met at strongman!

Go Bree GO!

March 22, 2008 at 11:47 AM

 
Blogger Iain Banks said...

Keep it going Bree and don't forget to watch some Cricket while you're out there!....get Greg and the Aussies to explain it :-)

March 22, 2008 at 12:12 PM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Hey roomie! I'm home, so good to see Reid and Belle. I miss you guys though. Have a great rest of the week. Have fun and keep up the great work ;-)

E

March 22, 2008 at 3:49 PM

 
Blogger E.L.F. said...

I know it's hard work but it sounds like way too much fun. Hope you got some peeps today from the Easter Bunny.

March 23, 2008 at 4:00 AM

 
Anonymous Sonja said...

Wow, what an awesome PR! You must be very focused over there in OZ. You're doing great, keep it up!

March 27, 2008 at 8:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home