Aloha!

Friday, March 28, 2008

Still in OZ....

Training has officially taken over my life. But I am alive & well. It hit me yesterday that I am a "professional". Not just a pro-triatlete... that is just a label or title, but I have a job and triathlon is it! My coach is always telling me to be a "pro". To think and act like a "pro". It wasn't until last night I understood. Lucky me I have a job I love. I don't dread going to work, I don't hate what I do... BUT it is a job and to do it well I need to be "pro" about it treat it like my job.

Basically it has been a challenging week for me. I was slacking about my nutrition, not showing up 15 minutes early to "work", grumpy, using a bad tire that was just asking for flats, & leaving my swim equipment behind... and of course the HR monitor. SO, coach pulled me aside and put it all into view for me. As as teacher I was there 40 hrs a week (at least), an hour before my students, I had the class ready, school suplies on hand, dressed for the job, and ready to go even on days I didn't feel like it. NOW that triathlon is my job (since I agreed to take the year off teaching and chase this dream) I have to be committed to it as if I was working a non-sporty job.

After this little (over 2 hour chat) I felt refreshed. Motivated. I understood. It is all clear to me now... there will be days like the week I had but I have to get down to business and be professional about it... it is my job after all.

In other news... we had 2 photo shoots and 2 news interviews! This part of my "job" is my least favorite... my smile is so dorky and I can hardly stand still long enough! As for the interviews... WHAT A NERD! Yesterdays I had to laugh at myself... and the the one earlier in the week I have no idea what I am even talking about! The earlier one was on YOU-TUBE so if you want to see me in all out dorkiness check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cd1nYQHDUA

I have 3 days till Mooloolaba Triathlon. The race has 3 races going on. An ITU event for those going for their Olympic spots, the Elite race (a drafting pro race not going for the Olympics... thats the race I am in), and an age group race. I am pretty excited to race this season & see just how ALL this training has helped me become a better athlete. Now... remember how the day before the local triathlon in Kona coach had me run 15 miles, and the day before the 5 miler I had to run 90 minutes of intervals... looks like another race of "not an "A" race for me" and I have to ride my bike to the race! I am not kidding... but, like a "pro" I will LOVE my job and still give it my best effort and race with all my heart!

Cheers and Aloha!



21 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

I can't even pretend what it would be like to have my career depend on my athletic performance, but it sure sounds like a blast!

Good luck at Mooloobooloo!

March 27, 2008 at 4:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bree,
Make us PROUD!!! Good luck this weekend!! Woo hooo!!! Jen H.

March 27, 2008 at 4:25 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

awe, i thought you were cute in the video...and looking very fit! good luck this weekend and GO Canada ;)

March 27, 2008 at 6:08 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Good luck this weekend Bree!!! We'll all be cheering for you and an awesome start to your PRO career!! And by the way - I've always wondered how to pronouce Mooloolaba too!! :)

March 28, 2008 at 1:31 AM

 
Blogger TB said...

Race for your "Audience of One"...

Go get em!!!

March 28, 2008 at 1:42 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Allright Bree - time to VVVRRRROOOOOOOOOMMMMMM! This post was great - really puts things into perspective. Thanks for sharing! Go fast, have fun, and represent the US well! Yippeee! And before you know it, you'll be home!

What a way to follow and live your dream. You are an ispiration to us all.

March 28, 2008 at 2:30 AM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

Bree:
Have a GREAT race! BTW, Lelia has been loving your blog--pcitures of Kainoa, pictures of the beach, pictures of kangaroos... You are even an inspiration to the under-5 crowd!
Swimbikerun fast this weekend!
-Danielle

March 28, 2008 at 3:09 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

I'm so glad you are loving your job!! You put everything into perspective and it is great that you are viewing it as a job and also as an honor to be able to do what you do! Good luck with the rest of your week!! :)

March 28, 2008 at 4:00 AM

 
Blogger shawn and tracy said...

Bree your going to do awesome...and I am so happy you are giving yourself the time to just focus on racing and training. It will pay off!

Cheers,
Tracy

March 28, 2008 at 4:19 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Check list:
Bike with GOOD TIRE (make that both tires)
Properly fueled body

Can-do professional attitude
Smile your dorky smile (just kidding) and have fun at the race!

March 28, 2008 at 4:27 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 28, 2008 at 4:27 AM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Go get 'em Bree! You have worked so hard! Remember when you are hurting that yes, this is your job but you love it AND you are ssssooo good at it! Smile beautiful...you are livin' your dream!

March 28, 2008 at 4:31 AM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

GOOOOOO BREEEEE!! You are going to do awesome! And don't worry about this one... think of it as a freebie. Because it's not your A race. So it's just an opportunity for you to have some fun and get into the groove of working your Rear Off!!

LOVE the video too! I thought it was funny!

Have a great race and then.... HOME!! Kainoa will think you're a CHAMP no matter what!

March 28, 2008 at 10:18 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Good Luck Bree....Can't hurt anymore than you have been busting your butt in camp!!!! KICK BUTT :)

March 28, 2008 at 12:35 PM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Good luck in the race this weekend Bree! You will kick some Aussie butt! And I like the interview - it was really funny!

March 28, 2008 at 12:54 PM

 
Blogger Emmalee said...

I didn't think you were nerdy. It was cute. It made me wish to be there watching you in the moloo what?

March 28, 2008 at 1:57 PM

 
Blogger Georgia said...

Hey Bree,
Found your blog through Lauren's. Good luck to you, Bill & I are so proud & inspired. I did a tri this morning haven't done one in a year or been training. Bill said do it for training so OK. The weather changed 40 degrees, rain, wind, everything you don't want. Wanted to quit, but I would start chanting BREE WEE, BREE WEE and it got me through. Thanks

March 29, 2008 at 12:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice effort in the race yesterday Bree ! Third is fantastic ! Way to go!

March 30, 2008 at 9:13 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

I was just gonna post a message to say.... WHERE IS YOUR RACE REPORT/RESULTS???? Sorry, I am impatient! I see from the message above, you got third? THAT IS WAY AWESOME!!! YIPPPEEEE!

This is sooooo great to bring home! GOOD solid training and a top notch race result to boot.

March 30, 2008 at 10:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

see if this link works.

http://res.championchipaustralia.com/list.asp?id=1207&race=INDIVIDUALS&ath_id=&ath_forename=&ath_surname=&ath_teamname=&ath_gender=FEMALE&ath_category=FELITE&pbSearch=Apply+Filter&sort_1=2733&sort_2=2730&sort_3=&nDBPage=

March 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Why thank you anonymous blogger commenter! The link works great. Looks like Sarah and Bree were neck and neck. Exciting! Now...for the race report.

March 30, 2008 at 1:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home