Aloha!

Friday, March 14, 2008

Training in the moment...


I’m sitting on the lanai listening to the sounds of the ocean. It brings back familiar sounds of listening in Costa Rica. The smells are different, the people, and the moods are different. Most of the days are different too. Australia is a place I once wanted to visit as a professional surfer. Now almost 10 years later I am here as a pro triathlete. Swimming in the waves rather than surfing in them has really made me reflect on my life & how every path I once planned is one completely different than the life I live today.

Yesterday I had my first walk on the sandy white beaches of Australia. I was in much need of a little quiet time. Surprisingly I feel less alone and less homesick when I am by myself. Staring out over the ocean and watching the sun dance in the shore break I felt as if I was back in my little town of Kona and Jim & Kainoa were only a breath away.

The sacrifices you make and the things in life you go without in order to reach a goal sure change you as a person. Almost as if you become your very own dream. From a distance I have been watching my team mate Lisa Mensink. Her fiancé and her both gave up their jobs to be here chasing her 2008 Olympic dream. Everything she does in training is a step closer. I saw her at the track shed a few tears as if each lap she ran was a step closer or a step in questioning yourself as an athlete… it is a beautiful thing to see someone’s passion put to the test.

During our hill repeats yesterday I was in awe as Kim Loeffler raced up the hills knowing each climb was a step closer to all that she wants out of sport. By the time she returns home to her husband it will almost 2 months she has been away chasing dreams. But she knows this is what it takes…

Swimming is my struggle, especially long course meters and 5,000 of them at a time. Knowing I gave up time with Kainoa to be here I make each stroke count or for me it is just another day away and closer to nothing. It is like that here… now that we are all tired and knee deep in intense training 2 or 3 sessions a day everything has to count or we are just far from home & closer to nothing.

From the beach running I have caused both my calves to tighten so painfully that it feels as if I have a constant Charley Horse. During the hill repeats yesterday and being encouraged by my team mates chasing their own dreams it was as if the pain hid for a few hours so I could ride my bike like I know how. The goal is to be so focused on your dreams during these training sessions that the pain has no room to hide. And maybe to become your best that is what it takes, pushing aside pain and leaving only room enough for a dream…



13 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

Bree,
I have been following your time in the land of Oz and your different emotions.... It sounds like you are really going for it now. That is great to see. Keep in mind that in a relatively short time, you will be back with the family. While you are Down Under, make it the best training block you can possibly do and, in doing so, it will be all the more worth it. It sounds like you are doing so.. Keep it up and I totally look forward to seeing you race up here North of the border.

March 13, 2008 at 10:03 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

You are living the dream of many and no matter what happens in life in the future, just enjoy every single moment of every single day. You never want to look back and think what if....

March 13, 2008 at 11:39 PM

 
Blogger TB said...

When you push yourself physically and menatally you find out how strong you are and Who provides that strength.

Onward and Upward!!!

March 14, 2008 at 12:44 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

It's been very inspiring to read about your ups and downs and all your training adventures thus far Bree! You've truly hit the nail on the head - it's a sacrifice that you've made to be away from your family so make the most of every stroke in the water, pedal stroke on the bike and step on the run! And then the sacrifice will have been worth it 100% and more. Hope today is wonderful for you! :)

March 14, 2008 at 12:51 AM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

Bree--
Way to go and to draw strength from the little sacrifices that everyone else has made/is making. So few people in this world do what you, Kim and Lisa are doing--truly following your dream, despite your fears--and that is so inspiring!
Keep turning your arms in that water. Whenever I get tired during a swim workout, I think back to being a little kid and hearing some swim coach holler, "Dig and pull, dig and pull". It might not be the "correct" way to swim in 2008, but it sure makes a great swimming mantra!
-Danielle

March 14, 2008 at 1:27 AM

 
Blogger Amanda C said...

Keep it up Bree! You are awesome and such an inspiration. You are good at suffering and it will make you so strong - as a mom, wife and athlete! You can withstand any challenge.

March 14, 2008 at 4:14 AM

 
Blogger Brooke Myers said...

No bikes yet, I promise I will let you know when they arrive. It's Hawaii remember!

Stay within yourself and stay after your dreams yes, remember who you are and where you come from while doing so.
You will become a stronger individual altogether because of it...
Love you and miss you lots!

March 14, 2008 at 5:22 AM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Way to go Bree...you are doing great! You have no clue how many people you touch and inspire to do better just writing from your heart about something you love so much. One week down right? Think how far you have come already!

March 14, 2008 at 5:53 AM

 
Blogger Cy said...

Wow Bree..You share such a great story of inspiration and determination. You have such a gift of putting things in perspective. Also, a Big CONGRATS for your USAT Triathlete of the year award. Well Deserved.

March 14, 2008 at 8:33 AM

 
Blogger triclancy said...

Bree, you are truly and incredible athlete and writer!! I enjoy reading your perspective on being away from your family and following your dreams. I struggle with the balance of work and Mommy rolls that I play and it is inspiring to watch someone like you "do it all"! My son is turning 7 this month and I still haven't truly found a "groove" in terms of balance. Congrats to you on Athlete of the Year!! Truly incredible!! ~Clancy

March 14, 2008 at 1:34 PM

 
Blogger gosonja said...

Great job finding your balance away from home. It's great to get those gems of insight while you are training your fanny off. Thanks so much for sharing them with all of us and for laying your heart on the line for us to read.

Keep up the good work!

March 14, 2008 at 3:44 PM

 
Blogger Jen in Budapest said...

Bree, you inspire me lady. I like your perspective that you are making it count - all this hard work and pain while being far from home -- pushing aside the pain to pursue the dreams.....so you can live in the moment and definitely it won't be "closer to nothing."

As your friends said, onward and upward as you stay anchored from where you came from.... :D

Lots of love and prayers.

Jen

March 15, 2008 at 1:10 PM

 
Blogger vabna islam said...

Nice article. your article is very good and E-book is well. I love as like as E-book. I think there are best e-book link in the world. If any one search more e-book i seggust their visit here and collect more
Beginning triathlons

March 2, 2014 at 1:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home