Aloha!

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lavaman Triathlon...

Tyler Stewart, Me, Jes Kirkwood, Janet Nielson

The Lavaman Triathlon is held more close to my heart than any other race. It was the first triathlon I ever saw, the first one I ever won (2004), and it is home of the Big Island! Nothing beats racing at home....

Being a bit worn down caught up to me. I got sick last night and woke up with a huge fever (so I over-dosed on Kainoa's teething medicine this morning, it is the only medicine I keep in the house). My plan to have fun became a plan to stay awake!

Standing on the beach prior to the start coach looked in my eyes and said he could still see some "eagerness to race in me, that "it" was there". I asked if he was serious, and he was. I always trust him... sure enough, as soon as I got into the ocean my heart was pumping with joy... the race was on!

I grabbed onto some feet that are way better swimmers than me & held on for dear life! Of course out of the water I waved to the crowds & hi-fived some pals. Onto my bike I went and rode scared out of my mind! You all know Tyler Stewart... the amazing woman who holds every bike record in the tri-world known to woman! So I was riding as if my life depended on it. Of course I still yelled to friends on the opposite side of the highway, I still made goofy faces to the photographers on the bike course, and I still got yelled at for not slowing on the turn into Kukio (I may never slow there). But the point is she made me hurt... Last year I rode the course in 1:04 something, this year I rode it in 1:02.! Yes it hurt... but having her was amazing! She pushed me and I needed the wake-up call!

T2 was a comedy for the crowd! I could not get my bike to fit into the wheel holder then I took off running without my visor! I feel naked running without it! I even wear it running inside on the treadmill and in the dark running! SO... of course I went back for it! Of course I was teased all afternoon about that from those that witnessed the humor of my visor! Leaving on the run was amazing! All of a sudden I was my old self. I was waving, cheering, smiling, just enjoying sport! Having the lead was a nice pressure off me too. I got to "jog" over the lava (because yes it scares me) and I got to admire the dolphins, and I had fun! Lots of fun! AND it was the first time on that darn course I broke a 40! I have ran it 3x and I always run it in a 43! I wanted to break a stinkin' 40 so bad it hurt... but being a chicken of running on the lava & coral sections doesn't improve speed any so coach gave me a plan where I raced a 5k in the middle (the real-road section) and the start and finish I could "chill" on. It worked wonders... I got a 38 something today!

Oahu's Amy Bennet... she was running on the bike course and it made my day to see her running full stride in a cast!(her left arm is in a neon orange cast to the elbow) She even raced Xterra in that thing! The Lavaman run course fits her off-road talents way more than this chicken!

My best friend Cody B! We always race the bike, he out biked me today!! Way to go Cody... please wait for me next time!

Of course I made time to play...


Number #2. Do you see that? I was athlete #2! I was shocked to get that bad-@$$ number, I had to work hard to represent it!

The studs of Hawaii... sorry ladies, both happily married! Tim Marr & James Cotter

My biggest support... they were everywhere on the course! Little Kainoa had NO idea why mommy kept running by him but never stopped to play!
2 of the 25-29 girls on the podium! Brooke and Devonee hot as ever!
My buddy Pat... better known as my "anonymous" comment giver & pain in my bum! Yes, you may recognize him from Lost. He was on the show...



23 Comments:

Anonymous Naughty said...

Holy smokes........a PR by 8 minutes........Holy Smokes.......

Well, well well done. I am so proud.

Next year boyz.......watch out:)

April 6, 2008 at 7:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude you are too funny....and by the way YOU ROCK!! Hey I swear i saw a Kangaroo on the Queen K....!!
I had fun today....CONGRATS on everything....
Ahhhh Does Life Sport only find Hot Women to train and coach? Damn!
LOST? LOL

April 6, 2008 at 8:04 PM

 
Blogger Jen in Budapest said...

Way to go Bree!!

The big island is actually the only one I've spent a lot of time on.....OK, a week. Love the big island, especially snorkeling there. :D

Well, enjoy your boys this week. Hopefully you get a chance to enjoy them and way to go working so hard across the world an back on the islands! You're going to have a GREAT year ahead! :D

April 6, 2008 at 9:36 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Great pics! YOU look like you didn't even race...maybe you just went to socialize??? Great job...you did awesome!

April 7, 2008 at 12:27 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Great pics! YOU look like you didn't even race...maybe you just went to socialize??? Great job...you did awesome!

April 7, 2008 at 12:27 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Congrats Bree!!! Glad you were able to have so much fun AND win big!! Hope you have a great week!

April 7, 2008 at 1:49 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Love the photo's and your smile...Glad you had a good time and the victory :) you ROCK sista!!!

April 7, 2008 at 1:55 AM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

I knew you could do it! And all that when you were SICK! Amazing. It really speaks to the power of enjoying what you're doing. Congratulations again. Now rest up and feel better!

Great pictures, by the way.

April 7, 2008 at 2:00 AM

 
Blogger TB said...

Flying...Just for the record...I TOLD YOU SO!!! HA!

See ya in St. Pete...

April 7, 2008 at 2:22 AM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

Now that is what I call celebrating!! Congratulations! What a great day! I'm so glad that you had fun, got fired up again, and had an amazing day! And way to go Brooke!!

April 7, 2008 at 2:51 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart said...

I was even more amazed that you felt sick the night before. I think my biggest inspiration about the race was looking into how someone could win the swim by almost two minutes, or was it a typo? Some research led me to several old and also recent articles about John F. Now that I am regularly swimming, I can set myself a few goals (not so much times, but distances covered). My own blog is having its teething troubles, but I will hopefully soon have it functioning. Take care.

April 7, 2008 at 2:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!!! A win is a win and we'll run with it! Nice PR and way to pull thru when you were not feeling 100% the night before. Grrrr! Congrats, Bree! Very exciting! Jen H.

April 7, 2008 at 3:02 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Way to go Bree! Sweet! Beautiful pictures and congratulations on HAVING FUN!!! Most excellent - you had fun with your vvvrrroooooommmm today!

April 7, 2008 at 3:54 AM

 
Blogger Cy said...

Amazing job out there- You simply shattered your previous PR times. I can't wait to see what happens when you are feeling 100%.
Thanks for sharing so many great photos!

April 7, 2008 at 4:07 AM

 
Blogger Ashley said...

wooHOO! Way to go! Thanks for the pics... makes me want to go to the beach. Great job!

April 7, 2008 at 4:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Bree!! you are so inspiring!! Keep up the good work. I hope to see you in florida for the big race!
with tons of love
tara jensen

April 7, 2008 at 5:15 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Most Excellent! It's soooo early in the season and you are on fire!
Way to go.

Oh.. and the weather... totally bumms me out looking at all of you like it's mid July. I think I need to move. :-)

April 7, 2008 at 5:21 AM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

love the pics - you look so happy and it does look like you are having fun and enjoying just being out there!
oh how i miss the beach....

April 7, 2008 at 5:45 AM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

WOW WEE...I am SO PROUD of you! You are such a studdette ;-) Way to go, could you hear me cheering for you form Cali? Hope so, we were all yelling for you to go out, kick @ss and have an awesome time. Reid, Belle and I were sending FAST thoughts your way. Love ya and miss ya tons.....

Your roomie,
E

April 7, 2008 at 5:50 AM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Way to go Bree!!!

April 7, 2008 at 7:25 AM

 
Blogger James Cotter said...

great race yesterday Bree. Loved that I was number 3 right beside you.
I leave tonight and really want to get some weebee product before I go. If you get this message today give me a hollar at 512.706.5822 and tell me where I can get some.

April 7, 2008 at 9:13 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Bree....I want your poka dot shorts...too cute... where did you get them?? Oh tell Hottie Cotter...he should not be giving his phone number out in public...or he is going to have all the crazy girls calling him ;)

April 7, 2008 at 3:30 PM

 
Blogger kerri said...

WOW...#2. And a win to boot, a new bike and you had fun!! What a day!

April 8, 2008 at 3:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home