Aloha!

Friday, April 18, 2008

Thought I was dreaming...

6 a.m. I show up to masters this morning (yes Katya, I was doing arm circles) and I could have sworn I was having a nightmare...I had to rub my eyes... I had to pinch myself to see if I was still in my bed sleeping... I did 5 double takes...

Our little Kona pool is ALWAYS short course yards, ALWAYS. We don't do meters here... BUT the pool was LONG! It was meters this morning! I stood on the deck, took a photo because I can't believe it, and a million memories of swimming in Australia came flooding back...

Memories of not making the send offs, memories of crying because my arms were falling off trying to swim that far, memories of leaving 10 seconds behind (they don't give free rides in OZ- no leaving every 5 like I'm used to), memories of nearly passing out from having to hold my breath every nine, coach walking up and down the pool deck with a stop watch COUNTING my every breath! Memories of Eileen and Janet being my lane mates, memories of watching Greg and Laura Bennet swim like fish & not even look like they are tired after making 1:04 100's! Memories of the time I actually made a 1:10 and 1:11 and wanted an award!

I hurt all over again. I stood on deck frozen still thinking those long course days were left back in OZ. How in the world did my little pool get long? Why is it long?

I jumped in...I left every 5, maybe it was even every 4 seconds, and Mike (our fastest swimmer) pulled my bum up and down the pool all morning! Yep, this is Kona baby... I was bound to have fun. AND you know what... IT WAS SO EASY! My body must have remembered the OZ-suffer-fest we endured everyday because I actually swam well this morning! I was making my 150's on 2:05 and my 50's on 35 (for me that is really good)...

But next time I have to swim that far without a wall every 25 yards I hope it is in the ocean! To everyone that swims long course meters I TOTALLY admire you!



14 Comments:

Blogger TB said...

Funny, we had 6am Masters today and ours was Long Course Meters also...

8 days to St. Anthony's...be safe travelling!

April 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

yay long course!!! I love it :) But that means less chatting on the wall and more swimming :(

April 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM

 
Anonymous rachel said...

scy is so much harder, wee! I only have so many turns in me. I'm all about lcm.. next time you come to oahu, we'll have to take you swimming in my empty pool! Maybe if I leave 2s behind you could pull me to one of those 1:10s...

April 18, 2008 at 11:58 AM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

HAHAHA! I knew you would miss the pool in OZ, told ya so.....and yes I can vividly remember those days that I was crying from swimming that many meters and thinking I was going to drown. And I remember you wanting to warm down evern more ;-) HA! MISS YA!!

E

April 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bree and Eileen!

Oh, I miss the OZ pool too!
but especially you two lane-mates!!!

Luv Janet

April 18, 2008 at 12:49 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

What a great pool!! Glad your body remembered how to swim long...I suspected it would! :) Anyway...I always hate when coach tells us to leave 10 sec after the person in front of us at masters practice. Darn it - no free ride!! :) Have a great weekend!

April 18, 2008 at 1:40 PM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

I am so jealous...I've never been about to swim long course but I dream of it! You lucky girl!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed your swim.

April 18, 2008 at 2:10 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

I think YOU LOVE swimming now and you are building confidence in the swim...see those baby steps worked...Now you have the attitude of BRING IT ON!!!! That pool looks awesome!!!

April 18, 2008 at 2:13 PM

 
Blogger Leigh Anne said...

Hey Bree~Bree

I would do double takes too cause that pool never goes long...well when we were swimming back in the day. LCM? Blah, not too exicted about those either. I rather swim six miles with you. Darn, I still have to call Tom.

Oh man, thanks for the comment. I just had a bad week. Ever had those days where you just cry cause everything is just going wrong. I know you never had those kind-of-days. :0) I need to call you sometime...so expect a ring-a-ding from me soon.

Veeks! Ha! Is he married yet? Oh man, we use to fight...cool guy to hang out with though. You could talk about anything with him. I called him and left a message.

Anyways, enjoy the LCM and tell Steve-o I said hi.

April 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Sweet Pool! Hooray for your swim - EXCELLENT! Here's to ocean swimming... AND love the turtle pic on your sidebar. :)

April 18, 2008 at 10:50 PM

 
Blogger Mira Lelovic said...

That IS a nightmare! Actually, the only nice thing about the 50m pool is less turns at the wall:-) Won't be long now until our 50m is open. I can hardly wait!

April 19, 2008 at 12:38 AM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

I was doing a recovery swim yesterday, and first wishing I was in a LCM pool, and then I realized that if I was going to wish for the impossible, that I should be wishing to be doing my recovery swim in the ocean with dolphins and turtles!
-Danielle

April 19, 2008 at 2:27 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart said...

The Kona pool always looks very long when it is LCM. Still, since I am bad at the turns, I would probably prefer it for workouts. Certainly, it would be more convenient when using hand paddles as I haven't succeeded in doing a flip turn with them on. Thanks for your encouragement on my swimming, but I have a very long way to go. I'll need to get a lot stronger physically and try to sustain a long powerful stroke over longish distances. Certainly breaking my personal best on a Peaman swim is a noble goal that I aspire to. In the meantime, I have to train well, eat well, sleep well, and not give up. If I see my pool times improve I'll let you know.

April 19, 2008 at 4:30 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Cunnane said...

GOOD JOB MRS. PHELPS! He he now you can make a run for the Olympic swim team.

April 19, 2008 at 11:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home