Aloha!

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Being in St. Croix feels a lot like being in Kona. Infact, my heart & attitude towards racing was in the right spot here. In OZ my heart didn't feel much like racing, in Florida my head wasn't there ... but I love racing & I wanted to love racing in those places... I am finding I love racing most when I love WHERE I am racing. (so it was no surprise when offered my Clearwater 70.3 slot at awards I said, "No thanks"). Still haven't mentioned that to coach... personally, I need to love what I am doing in order to be any sort of good at it. My heart & head need to be there. Coach teases that I'm just an emotional person-I like to think of it as passion...

To the race...

My mission was to hold on to Julie Dibens feet. Of course I always try to hold onto fast feet, BUT I was serious this time. Julie, Nina Craft, & I made a little swim pack and there were times I could see them pulling ahead. I kept reminding myself that I LOVE choppy water. That I was a surfer long before a triathlete and if chop or waves are in the game I am playing! It was pretty exciting being up front in the swim (this was a first for me). There was a boat next to us with a camera crew filming the whole time. I smiled and wished I could wave. You could hear them rambling... Julie and Nina got special colored caps, I had yellow like all the other pro women so they were wondering who I was hanging on. They kept chatting about how this is unexpected for me to be there, then I heard one say it looked like I was fading... That's when I tried to take a pull! HILARIOUS if you ask me... So 1,2, 3 we come out of the water and I am in shock!

To top off my never-happened-before swim I was awarded the swim preme last night at awards! Unfortunately Julie didn't finish so it went to the second place swimmer. I thanked Julie for the pull. I was still laughing holding that check...Tyler Stewart even asked, "Bree I didn't know you were a swimmer". It was quiet the joke of the night.

To the bike... I was determined to lead as much of the bike as possible! After being a "stagger" girl last weekend there was NO way I was following and having that happen. This course is insane. By far the most challenging bike course I have ever raced. I passed Julie and tried not to look back. Then Miranda and Nina came along & it ended up being we each took control of the bike depending on the part of the course we are best at. So Nina demolished on the down hills, they were winding and fast and I told myself not to look at the speed. I nearly flew into a truck and into the ditch trying to keep her in sight. Forget it I said, surviving was my new plan. Then the up hills... I wanted them. I wanted the bike preme for top of the Beast. I rode so hard passing the girls leading up to the climb... maybe too hard. My little lead only lasted till about .4 miles and the Beast was .7. The Beast is a beast in my opinion but I want to ride it again & plan to next year. The course also had a bunch of sharp turns and Miranda stole the show here. I don't think she slowed into them at all! Must be the ITU practice because she was out of sight coming off a turn. UNBELIEVABLE to see her corner like that...

The best part of the bike was the 9 mile strip into the head wind. I lead that whole chunk. I burried my head and said "Hello climb to Hawi!" I just loved it. I wanted it windier. After that part I got word that I was in second but confused I thought Nina & Miranda were behind... Felicity Hart biked by without me even noticing. None of us noticed but let me tell you she can ride because I must have took her for a man that went by earlier on...

Off the bike- Oh it hurt. Felt a lot like the post 112 mile ride. Miranda, Felicty, and Nina were in and out. I was struggling to get my shoes on and a darn camera (the ones that followed us the entire bike ride) was in my face at T2. I for sure looked like a rookie trying to stand and put on shoes at the same time. Once I started running a bit of the pain went away. I was just so happy to be running and to see my new local friends. I really wanted to catch Nina.... I was getting reports (from the man following me with a video camera on his bike) that she was 2 min. up. OUCH! But I gave it my all... The run course was a mix of heat, wind, hills (up & downs), and I even got spanked and have a giant bruise thanks to Bryan Rhodes! (him, Mitch Gold, and Faris fixed my bike Saturday so he felt he owed me a beating). Actually I think it woke me up... he said, "Bree, go pick them off. Use each man- run to each one until you catch them..." I found a new mission and was just passing a bunch of guys until it got me to Felicity... (who is SUCH an awesome girl!) then I was picking my way to Nina but ran out of run.

The finish felt SO much like Ali'i Dr. Crowds of people & emotion filling the air. I really wanted to cry I was so happy. Instead I went over to get pictures with Nina & Miranda.

The whole race day was incredible. As my new Aussie friend would call it, "Brilliant day". Two more toe nails missing but other than that I am feeling great! I got my new 70.3 PR by about 11 minutes so I am not complaining...

Huge Mahalos again for the cheers and those that make racing possible for this momma! Coach Paul at Lifesport & my coaching helper, Bike Works, Splish, Trakker, Scott Bikes, Asics, TP Balls, & of course The Schott family, my family, and the Colburns who took me into their home during my time on the island of St. Croix...



29 Comments:

Blogger Bruce Stewart said...

Sounds like you had a good time. Reminds me of the race I liked the most, the Mannaman Eco-Biathlon at Captain Cook. Great water and great trails.

May 5, 2008 at 1:30 AM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

Bree, I love reading your posts because you just have SO MUCH FUN whatever you're doing. Congratulations on third, and congratulations on the big, fat paycheck. I hope that dufus in the boat is STILL kicking himself about saying you were fading. Congratulations again!

May 5, 2008 at 1:35 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

wahoo!!!!! Great job. I had to call Kate and see how you did cause I was traveling with Karel. I was so excited to hear the news! Way to go :)

May 5, 2008 at 2:13 AM

 
Blogger jahowie said...

Sounds like you had a great race. Congrats!! :-)

May 5, 2008 at 3:09 AM

 
Blogger Mominator said...

All day the radio announcers kept saying, "What do we know about #64?" "Who is this Bree Wee?" And, the funniest remark I heard all day, "We gotta find out more about this girl!" No kidding!

Anyway, congrats on a great race, Bree! You have Iowa fans that were cheering for you all day!

May 5, 2008 at 3:56 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Holy cow, 11 minute PR on that course? Unbelievable!

Great job on your race and on showing that guy who's fading on the swim :-)

May 5, 2008 at 4:08 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Hey fire cracker,
pictures please???

May 5, 2008 at 4:13 AM

 
Blogger IronMatron said...

I had to laugh at the "Who is #64?" over and over again. I wanted to scream, It's BREE, I know it's Bree! Of course! Congrats again on an amazing performance. I think you're going to have to consider yourself a "swimmer" now!

May 5, 2008 at 4:14 AM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

What an amazing race! I love the report and the insight into the mind of the Super-stud pro Bree!

May 5, 2008 at 4:41 AM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

This makes me SO HAPPY! I knew it, you are super amazing. Too cool! I love you lots....thank you for your sweet note. Can't wait to chat.

Love,
E

May 5, 2008 at 5:21 AM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

wow! what a day you had:) and such an awesome swim...i totaly get needing the emotional connection with your race - that's why i love kona and you'll never find me in clearwater either! way to put your head down and get it done.

May 5, 2008 at 5:46 AM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 5, 2008 at 5:46 AM

 
Blogger tribabe said...

Congratulations! We were listening over the internet radio broadcast for the finish and they were talking about what a great name you have and as it turns out, you are making quite a name for yourself! Best wishes to you for continued success!

May 5, 2008 at 5:49 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

A PR on that course?! WOW!! Amazing!! I think you must thrive on brutal, tough and very hot conditions!! Congrats again on such a great race all around - especially getting that swim prime. That's the last time they will say that you are fading!! :)

May 5, 2008 at 6:08 AM

 
Blogger Bob Mitera said...

Listening to the radio coverage live, when you had 3 miles to go I said to Lorrie, "She is going to run up to 3rd and may catch Nina if she slows at all."

Nice work Kid Kona.

May 5, 2008 at 6:23 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

What a phenominal report! SO FUN to read! I could tell you were having a blast - and it made me really happy! I heard it through the grapevine (elf) that you were smiling and waving the entire run, while she yelled "go get her!". NICE JOB on almost bridging the gap - that must have taken a lot of mental fortitude! Good on ya mate! ;) Congrats and enjoy the victory!

May 5, 2008 at 7:05 AM

 
Blogger Maijaleena said...

Great race report! Congrats on the huge PR! Just imagine what you can do on an easier course. congrats on your surprise swim prime check too.

May 5, 2008 at 7:27 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

WAy to go!! I Love your drive Bree. I think picking the runners off 1 by 1 is the way to go. So fun to watch. And great job in the water!! Pretty cool to excel at your "weakness." Congrats to you!

May 5, 2008 at 7:28 AM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

Hi Bree:
It was so much fun to follow along on the radio yesterday to your race. (At one point the announcer said, "Oh that girl's name is Bree. Isn't that Desperate Housewives?" I bet next year he will have a lot more to say about your RACING!) Enjoy the rest of your time in St. Croix!!!! Glad it was a wonderful experience all around.
-Danielle

May 5, 2008 at 8:10 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Bree,

WAY TO BE!!!! Damn, girl you rocked it!!! I think that is SO awesome that you PR'd out there, you kicked butt in the swim, and especially that you had SO MUCH FUN.

Great race report and GREAT RACE!

Congrats on such a brilliant day. You really embody the whole idea of what it means to truly have fun.

Thanks for sharing it with us. :)
S

May 5, 2008 at 8:14 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

Hi Bree,

I've been reading your blog for some time now and I love it! Thanks for all of your inspirational posts, and a huge congrats to you for kicking arse at St. Croix and having tons of fun doing it.

Your story is motivation to us all to get out there and work hard, smile, and enjoy it! :)

Cheers,
Shannon

May 5, 2008 at 9:08 AM

 
Blogger TriBunny said...

Just LOVED this race report and adore your attitude. I especially loved the part where the announcers are commenting on your "fading" swim and you decide to show them by taking a pull at the front. Atta way girl! Job well done.

May 5, 2008 at 10:42 AM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Congrats, I especially love the part about leading in a headwind, just like the road to Hawi...seriously if you like wind definitely do IM New Zealand Next year, the bike course isn't too bad but the weather is completely unpredictable....

But congrats on a podium on such a difficult course..also I hope I'm not making you an Alcoholic after the Pina Colada post...I'm not that heavy of a drinker I swear.... But no, congrats and out of curiosity did this qualify you forr Kona?

May 5, 2008 at 6:02 PM

 
Blogger Randy said...

Way to go Bree. Thanks for the great race report. Way to push it and way to hang in there. You inspire us.
Thanks for sharing,
Randy and Karen

May 5, 2008 at 10:19 PM

 
Blogger Ashley said...

I can feel your excitement just reading this!! Way to go, Bree. So full of passion, energy, determination. You are a great source of motivation.

May 6, 2008 at 5:03 AM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Aloha Bree.....can't wait to see some images from the island. Safe travels. Take a look....i created my own blog. Not too good but its a start!

May 6, 2008 at 6:54 PM

 
Blogger Train-This said...

Yeah sister! Way to go! WOO HOO!

:-) mary!

May 7, 2008 at 12:59 AM

 
Anonymous Jason Lester said...

You did Kona proud !

May 7, 2008 at 11:27 PM

 
Blogger Mira Lelovic said...

Congrats again, Bree! Choppy water is so NOT my friend. I wish I embraced it like you do. Great job on the swim. I can't wait to watch you on TV!
P.S. Love the post-race party pictures of you on Mel's blog! Way to celebrate!

May 8, 2008 at 2:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home