Aloha!

Monday, May 12, 2008

Japan is in the air...

Watashi no namae wa Bree Wee

Are you Japanese? I am as white girl as they come... but today... at the grocery I was asked if I was Japanese. No, sorry.

I gave the girl at the register my bank card, she read my name, "Bree Wee", then said, "Can I see your ID?" I gave her my driver's license... she thought I stole my bank card saying Bree Wee because I didn't look like any Bree Wee she ever saw.

What? Hmm?? I gave her a confused look- I never knew another Bree Wee existed. Then she asked if I was Japanese (she was Hawaiian/Filipino mix). I had to explain I married a "Wee", my parents didn't purposely try to make my life a living joke by giving me a rhyming name.

There's another story too...

In St. Croix when I jumped off the plane and saw my home stay family holding a sign reading "Bree Wee" I ran to them, gave them a BIG hug, and introduced myself. My host mom says right to me, "Oh, I thought you would look a little different... I was not imagining a white girl with that name". Bless their hearts- my little St. Croix family was wonderful...

And the BEST story of all... we took Kainoa to get his pass port for JAPAN today!!!! Yep, that is the plan! I did qualify for Kona as an age grouper BUT I have to re-qualify all over again now that I got my pro card. Luckily there are Ironman events ALL over the world! AND luckily in June (the month coach and I decided I should race one) there are 3 on the same weekend! France, Idaho, and Japan! Idaho was instantly out, France has down hills that freak me out, so sticking with my island theme this year I chose Japan!

I am a family girl. I need them. I love them. So I begged, twisted, pulled, yanked, tugged, nagged, bribed my husband to make Japan a family trip! Australia was TOO long without them, St. Croix was too beautiful without them... so this time I have to have them along...

Fingers are crossed we can get our act together to make it happen & when it does Kainoa has his first pass port all ready for the adventure & sushi!

Sayonara,
Bree




19 Comments:

Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Three cheers for EVERYONE heading out to Japan! Hope that it all works out well! Funny about the name WEE - just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover! Hope the training is going GREAT!!!!!!!! AND, anyday is a GREAT day for sushi! :)

May 12, 2008 at 6:32 PM

 
Anonymous Naughty said...

Hip Hip Hooray! I am so happy for the three of you. Your adventures as a family are as colorful as can be. Rock On!!

Naughty

May 12, 2008 at 7:15 PM

 
Blogger Randy said...

Bree, you are too funny. Thanks for the laugh. Love the Mother's Day list. Good luck in Japan.

Randy

May 12, 2008 at 10:59 PM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

How lucky for all of you to be able to go to Japan together!! No missing home and seeing their faces on the course on race day - priceless!!!

May 13, 2008 at 2:14 AM

 
Blogger LeAnn said...

Yes, my long lost sister...O genki desu ka?

Your last name sounds more Korean than anything. She took one good look at your butt and got confused. :0P

Is Ryeko going with you?

May 13, 2008 at 2:59 AM

 
Blogger LeAnn said...

Oh, thanks for the laugh this morning...

May 13, 2008 at 3:00 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Happy late mothers day!! You will LOVE japan. I have been to tokyo and to the phillipines. It is all amazing!!!! Most of all, if the fam was there you could all enjoy it together. I have a feeling kainoa will have a many-paged stamped passport before he turns 5!!! Good luck :)

May 13, 2008 at 3:13 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart said...

Southern Japan is where I would live if I did not live in Taiwan. I've often dreamed of biking Japan, or at least part of it. Like many dreams, though, I often never really get started. I think you will love Japan. The place is beautiful and the people are very nice and friendly. Gan batte kudasai!

May 13, 2008 at 3:17 AM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

This is so funny because when I first looked up the results for Kona last year to see who won my age group, I thought to myself, "Oh... one of those international girls!" :) So when I saw your blog and realized your were a little southern white girl from Florida, I was surprised. I guess it just goes to show you!! :)

I am so glad to hear the whole family is coming with you! That is going to be a wonderful family vacation!!

May 13, 2008 at 3:44 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

That is SO funny. I was cracking up as I imagined an islander suspiciously eyeing you, thinking you were a card stealer, and your host family thinking "oh...um...you're not at all how we thought you'd look!"

That's SO EXCITING ABOUT GOING TO JAPAN WITH FAMILY! HOORAY!

May 13, 2008 at 5:05 AM

 
Blogger Mer! said...

That's awesome you get to bring your family with you--and i'll bet you'll race even faster knowing there are hugs upon your finish! Love family vacations!

Hysterical on your namesake-like how do you actually prove beyond a license it's really *you?*...so funny!

BTW: Thx so much for stopping by my blog! So cute of you and as always you were super positive and
if you have time to read my teeny, kinda long-winded blog than I am thrilled! =0. Thx for stopping by--and I never know when someone posts if i'm supposed to answer them on my blog or theirs..probably one of those "blogger"memos I missed =0.

Have fun!!

May 13, 2008 at 5:15 AM

 
Blogger jahowie said...

Have fun in Japan!! That was a very funny story. :-) It must be great to be able to travel the world. Thanks for sharing it with us.

May 13, 2008 at 5:36 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

You are so lucky that the fam will be with you in Japan...It will make the WIN even sweeter!

May 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

My middle name rhymes with my last name. Everyone (even the people who promise not to laugh) laughs when I tell them what it is. That's why I don't ever, EVER tell people my last name. You're a brave soul for taking on your husband's name. Then again, I bet it's great for name recognition...

Have a GREAT time in Japan!

May 13, 2008 at 7:50 AM

 
Blogger Paul said...

Konichiwa. Can't wait to see your Japan race. Way better than Idaho. Loved the Mothers day list.

May 13, 2008 at 8:13 AM

 
Blogger Bob Mitera said...

Funny story! I actually have written on the signature line of all my cards "Ask for ID" in case they get lost/stolen. It is becoming law in more places due to ID theft. My friend lost $40,000 and about 2 years of bad credit reputation because she was ripped off - really well too. They caught the couple. Good luck in Japan; just race to your fitness and spirit and the results will take care of themselves. I'll be race marshalling at "Spud man".

Bob

May 13, 2008 at 8:16 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

The name- yes I have my stories too. You know-----------
Japan! Yee Ha! What a great experience for all of you. Take a lot of pictures so you can show Kainoa when he is big. Oh yes I'm talking to Bree- she'll have her camera!

May 13, 2008 at 8:31 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

LOL, before I met you in person I'd seen your name before in some race results and had assumed you were Chinese because of your last name. Although I guess Wee could be Japanese or maybe even Korean? What do I know ... I'm of Japanese descent but born in the States.

Great to hear your family will be joining you in Japan!

May 13, 2008 at 10:33 AM

 
Blogger TB said...

It ia a cool name...

So you have room for your long lost cousin from Florida to join?

Japan will be awesome for you all.

May 13, 2008 at 10:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home