Aloha!

Friday, May 16, 2008

Keeping the focus...

Photo courteous of Honolulu Triathlon...

Yep, ANOTHER race! Just got home and just about to get on another plane headed to another race. Fortunately the flight is only 40 minutes & the same time zone! I am beginning to wonder why I even bother unpacking my luggage just to repack it. This will be race number 6 or 7 or something like that within the past 10 weeks. I remember talking to TJ Tollakson during one of our swims together, "Bree, the thing that hurts most in your first year pro is the travel". I think he might be right... BUT so far I am STILL loving it!

The biggest thing I have learned is to appreciate where I am in each moment, who I am with in each moment, and enjoy what I am doing in each moment. The moments fly by so quickly that it is easy to lose focus & purpose.

How am I managing it all? Well, I have only gotten to take one taper (St. Croix). The other races were tune ups or training days or fun. That was the hardest lesson to learn so far. I really never have raced a race on tired legs or after riding 2.5 hours the day before it or having to run 2 hours the week of a race. Prior to coach I would train, rest, race, recover, REPEAT. Maybe that was why I never made any progress (or little progress).

Now I am learning that only my key races I need to rest for & everything else is just a step in that direction. Maybe it was pride, BUT the first race (Mooloolaba) where I had to ride my bike to the race the day before (2:45) YES! 2 HOURS & 45 minutes! I was bitter... I wanted to race "fresh" and I wanted to not have "tired" legs. Coach reminded me THIS is not the goal. Then came Lavaman. This was my hometown, I wanted to be "fresh", but I again got the talk... THIS IS NOT MY GOAL. And how can I forget St. Anthony's... Now I was really freaked! I have already learned to "race me" but I so badly wanted to beat my last years time and be "fresh"! But again coach reminded me "This is not your goal".

After St. Anthony's I got to taper. Then came race day (St. Croix) and I was finally the most rested I had been all year. The purpose of keeping focused on my goal race had become clear. I clicked, my body clicked, my mind clicked, the race went well for me.

This weekend is the start of "round 2" of "training through". Honolulu Triathlon. I am tired. I rode long this week. I ran very hard this week. I swam till my arms fell off. Sometimes I think I still have lingering chunks of the "Beast" from St. Croix left in me. But the ego in me to show up "fresh" for every race is fading and I am happy. I am actually looking forward to racing my best with what I got. (never imagined I would EVER be excited to race tired). I know now that the bigger picture, the key race to come, will only benefit from these "train through" races. When my legs are screaming that they wanted more recovery I will shut them up and press on...

Hawaii 70.3 (my hometown race that I want to be "fresh" for) I will again suck it up. I once wanted a nice big taper for this... BUT if I did, I am learning, that the BIG PICTURE won't unfold properly. I know that Ironman Japan is like my St. Croix. It will be time to taper. Time to focus. Time to soak in all my hard work and reach another goal...

So, as I pack my bike (again) and then unpack it just to repack it, I know in the long run, the big picture, it is all worth it...

Sunday... count me in for another BIG step in the direction of my BIGGER picture & a few bites of humble pie!



31 Comments:

Blogger Rory said...

Go represent the BI! Have fun.

May 16, 2008 at 11:52 AM

 
Blogger LeAnn said...

Have fun Bree. I liked what you said about "to appreciate where I am in each moment, who I am in each moment, and to ENJOY what I am doing in the moment". Good stuff.

And yes, we would love to swim with you!!!

Have a great trip!!!!

May 16, 2008 at 11:53 AM

 
Blogger Maijaleena said...

Good luck in your race and stay strong even though you're tired.

May 16, 2008 at 12:54 PM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

Have a great race! Have fun! And the good news is you always do so well despite the fact that you're tired because you have so much race in you regardless!

May 16, 2008 at 1:26 PM

 
Blogger TB said...

Just think "Audience of One"

You'll do phenom!!

May 16, 2008 at 2:08 PM

 
Blogger Paul said...

Good luck!

May 16, 2008 at 2:09 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

Great post Bree. I have been learning more and more lately about this type of thing. It's hard to accept sometimes....that you can't race fresh and ready to go each time. THank you for the encouragement to keep on keepin on when things are tough and to keep focus on the big goal. Good Luck to you SUnday!!!!!

May 16, 2008 at 2:23 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

Great post Bree. I have been learning more and more lately about this type of thing. It's hard to accept sometimes....that you can't race fresh and ready to go each time. THank you for the encouragement to keep on keepin on when things are tough and to keep focus on the big goal. Good Luck to you SUnday!!!!!

May 16, 2008 at 2:23 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

GO Bree....have fun and flaunt that winning smile of yours.....You rock every race you touch now....it doesn't matter what kind of race it is A B C....you always do AWESOME and you always have fun :) You are known as the cute little Splish, smiling PRO girl:)

May 16, 2008 at 2:57 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Have fun on the HNL bumppy roads, becareful!! Enjoy and good luck!
No garlic chips before the race!!

May 16, 2008 at 3:35 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Ahh Bree!!! This post spoke to me!! I WANT EVERY race to be an A race! But Coach won't have it. Only allowed 2 or 3 of those a year he says. Bugger! I guess that just means we have to make the most of those A races when they do come along! Either way, whatever kind of race it is, and regardless of how you feel, I know you will race hard and race fast and GO, GO, GO!!! Like TB says, you are racing for an Audience of One and that makes all the difference. Best of luck - I'll be thinking of you!!

May 16, 2008 at 3:54 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Enjoy the travel...seriously I'd kill to be paid to do the sportand visit half the places you've been. Good luck also good luck in Japan.

May 16, 2008 at 4:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading and enjoying your blog for the past couple of months.
(I'm another transplanted Southern Girl)! All your posts are great and make you a very endearing pro in the tri community. This post was great because it shows how much your growing as a pro athlete. Good luck with the race and keep rocking because YOU RULE!!!

May 16, 2008 at 4:58 PM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Have an AWESOME race this weekend! I know what you mean about not being able to race 'fresh'... I have had to train through all of my races (well all 3) so far this year. My best race came after my biggest week of training too (which was last week)! No taper for me until the June 7 Worlds! Keep your focus, think of the race as a hard workout, and keep the 'bigger picture' firmly in your mind...

May 16, 2008 at 5:10 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

i soooo hear what you are saying...i know what it is like to head into these local races somewhat fried when you want to go fast and show what you've got. i never like to make excuses about my performance so it is hard sometimes to bite my tongue and not say "yeah but i rode 5 hours yesterday...". just keep repeating 'bigger picture, bigger picture" :) and go fast!

May 16, 2008 at 5:31 PM

 
Blogger Brooke Myers said...

Enjoy the moments with your family and yes have a great race.. Have fun have fun have fun!!!
I'll be thinking about all of this weekend..

May 16, 2008 at 7:23 PM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Are you a motivational speaker or what? The whole family is behind you everystep! You have truly become a PRO! You're in our prayers- Have a blast...

May 17, 2008 at 3:10 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Go Bree GO!!! You CAN do it! And for the record, I think you're incredible regardless. This post speaks volumes about what it's like to be a pro triathlete... thank you for sharing the poignant vignette. You will do GREAT! And I'll jump up and down and cheer for you - because now I finally can! Safe travels and race smart!

May 17, 2008 at 7:50 AM

 
Blogger IronMatron said...

It's definitely hard to sacrifice for the one or two big goals each season. I've never been able to label races A B or C. They are all A's! But as a pro I can see they must not be all A's--that they can't be. You are doing amazingly well at taking it all in stride with a smile--the travel, the training through. It's awesome to watch!

May 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Bree- I hope Coach P reads your post because I'll be darned if you aren't starting to talk like a pro!! Go get 'em, have fun, smile, and enjoy a hard training day!!!

May 17, 2008 at 11:47 AM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Dude, Wee....live it up for me. Oh, I just love it. You are living the real life of a pro. It is cool, all this training and racing and doing awesome. Congrats! I just saw how cool it could all be when I was in Oz and I LOVED it. But, gotta do the work thing for a while and try to juggle. Thank you always for believing and motivating. Love ya lots.....

Ok, now go KICK some BOOTIE!

P.S. Remember when you slapped my bootie in T1 at Splash n Dash ;-) HAHA!

E

May 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM

 
Blogger Amber Dawn said...

You have such a great perspective and attitude. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, learnings and life on your blog.
And have a great race!!

May 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart said...

I hope you will accomplish what you set out to do for this one. Have fun and keep safe!

May 17, 2008 at 11:11 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Bree,

What a great post! This definitely is the difference between pro life and life as a person who does triathlon as a hobby.

I was just writing about 'training through' races a few weeks ago and how the idea of racing tired just didn't appeal to me. Like you, I like to race fresh; I want my money's worth! I work so damn hard for the money I pay for these races with, and I have to juggle my time so much to make time for training, that to not go out there and just have a great race being fresh seems like a bad thing for me.

However, if I were racing a lot more often and it were my job...I think that's when it switches.

That is NOT to say it makes it any easier to race on tired legs. ;) And, as you said, there's the ego thing - who DOESN'T want to beat their times from last year, and who wants to have to think "wow, that could've been better if I were fresh." ah, our wonderful egos.

Your honesty is so refreshing and your commitment is so inspiring. You're getting stronger with every race.

HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT RACE TODAY!!!!

May 18, 2008 at 8:12 AM

 
Blogger Jen in Budapest said...

It's really interesting to hear about your journey in training. Who would ever have thought of using races as training days and going in tired? (Oh yeah, coaches.) I guess that's why we call them coach.

You're doing great, Bree and you've got a bigger picture so keep pushing for it! Like you said a few blogs ago, you gave birth so you can do anything for 10 hours! Prayin' for lots of strength in your body!! :D You're a strong and beautiful woman!! keep it up girl. you're an inspiration. :D

May 18, 2008 at 8:35 AM

 
Anonymous jj said...

Bree, I love reading your blog. LW is my coach for three years and you totally help me remember why I love to race. You pick me up....you motivate me and I try to have the mind set that you have with all the ups and downs of training and just life. You are doing so great. Thank you
jj

May 18, 2008 at 9:44 AM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

Hmmm... so the key to being really, really fast is to race tired...? And here I thought all those guys decked out to the teeth in official Mdot gear in transition were just saying that to justify crappy race performances.

It's probably a bit late now, but I hope you kicked some booty today with those not-so-fresh legs of yours.

May 18, 2008 at 10:11 AM

 
Blogger TB said...

Word on Slowtwitch is Bree WON!!!

May 18, 2008 at 2:50 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Ooopppss..I am sorry I did not know you were racing this weekend...no good luck wishes :( not like you needed any...you blew that course away...no one was even close to catching you :) SUPER-STAR :)

May 18, 2008 at 3:11 PM

 
Blogger Iain Banks said...

Great post Bree....its all about the main goals/races of the season and everything else is the build-up to give knowledge, confidence and pain! Hope you had a great race...

May 18, 2008 at 3:15 PM

 
Blogger TriBunny said...

Bree this post was more helpful than you even know. Loved hearing your insights about racing and training and keeping your eye on the big picture. I recently performed poorly at a race I was "training thru" and so reading your blog came at a perfect time. I'm still learning to be a smart and efficient racer, and it's hard to fight my pride which wants me to do well at everything I undertake. I wish though, I had your talent to do as well as you do even when your beat up from heavy training. Best wishes and hope you kick some butt in Japan.

May 21, 2008 at 2:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home