Aloha!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Happy 5 Weezle!

Slow to anger, quick to love. - Psalm 145:8

In the 5 years (3 married) we have been together that has been the verse of our life together! Even the way we met was "slow to anger "(even though I felt like knocking his teeth in) and "quick to love" (we pretty much were love at first fight!)

Today is "Happy Anniversary" to us... here is how it started...

Jim was the "swim stud" with a feisty attitude. Loud, outgoing, wild, and cocky. I was the new girl in town. Little surfer girl, Jesus freak, very independent. I knew who he was, everyone in Kona knew who the loud guy was. He used to kiss his biceps before every swim race letting everyone know he was going to kick their @$$. He didn't have a clue who I was. BUT we had a friend in common (Leann "Hawaiian Matusumoto")

One Sunday, at a local biathlon, we were about to fall in love...

There we were, rounding the turn around buoy, I tried to take the inside, Mr. Macho didn't like that too much. He yanked my goggles right off my face (his side of the story is he was trying to "cop-a-feel"). In any case, my goggles were now filled with water! REVENGE! Of course he beat me into shore, but I was on a mission to run him down.

He was putting on his shoes when I ran by him, I gave him a gesture I'd rather not fess up to, and pretty much said, "you messed with the wrong girl". When I passed him on the way back from the run I gave him a look that probably in no way resembled the smile I usually run with... This was only my second ever run race and he had me so mad it might still be my PR to this day!

Post race... I am hanging with my friend Kawika. Leann and Jim are talking...on the other side of the pier... she tells Jim, "you have to meet my friend". She then comes to me, "you have to meet my friend". Something along those lines anyway...

I protest, not really in the mood to date, new to the island and I just wanted to surf... (remember I was chasing my pro surfing dream at this time). BUT she gets me over to him...

One look at him and I discover it was the Macho Man who yanked off my goggles! Instantly I am against meeting him... he is all about it...
He asked me to go to the beach with him and his buddies to surf and camp and what not. In my most stubborn, too good for you, attitude, tell him no. I was about to leave for a little mission trip that evening anyways.

A few weeks later I decide to join the masters swim team. I get put into one of the slower lanes and as I look over to the "fast side" of the pool I see Jim. OH MY GOSH! He was on the masters swim team! Darn it! After practice he comes over & asks for my number... I am laughing! What a dork! But I give it to him, thinking he will never call...

He calls that weekend and asks me to go golfing. ( I really DISLIKE golfing).

Sure! I tell him I love golfing, my family lives on a golf course in Florida, great let's go!

We go golfing and I have never in my life laughed as hard as I did this day. It was by FAR the best first date EVER! Every time he wasn't looking I would throw my ball, kick it, move it near the hole... he sucked worse than me! His ball would bounce off lava and palm trees and fly back towards us...

AND we have been laughing at each other pretty much everyday since that day. I am NOT an easy woman to be married too but Jim does a great job dealing with me. Like Ironman we have our "moments" (I call the not so good ones bonking) . My friend Sandy just gave me that analogy. Daily I have to remind myself to NOT get angered (he still yanks at my goggles) and to LOVE him (he still makes me laugh)...

Here is to another 75 years together (Jim made me promise him 80 years). Oh boy, me and the bicep kissing macho man... at least he doesn't gripe about smelly shoes...

I love you Weezle!



51 Comments:

Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! YEAH!! You look so BEEOOTIFUL in those pics ;-)

Love,
E

June 11, 2008 at 6:08 AM

 
Blogger Bob Mitera said...

Great story! Congratulations on 5 yrs.

When I met my wife we both responded "not interested" to the friend who introduced us...8 yrs later, here we are.

Cheers

June 11, 2008 at 6:26 AM

 
Blogger rr said...

Awww, happy anniversary Team Wee! Great story of your meeting, Bree.

We really have to get super-swimmer macho Jim and his Oahu twin Ramsey together sometime.. Maui Channel crossing? I really think they would hit it off.. and we know we would have so much fun!

Love the wedding photos, you look gorgeous, as always!

~rach

June 11, 2008 at 6:31 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Bree..... you clean up good! :-)

June 11, 2008 at 6:36 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

oops.. forgot.. Happy Anniversary! Is that a BEER in the background in the grass???? lol. (first picture)

June 11, 2008 at 6:39 AM

 
Blogger LeAnn said...

Yes, it all my fault...but looked what happened!!! Im truly a good matchmaker. That was a sweet wedding. Thanks again for letting me be a part of it! I think I still have that dress...somewhere. Happy Anniversary and wishing you more great ones ahead!!!

June 11, 2008 at 6:56 AM

 
Blogger TriGirl Kate O said...

Happy Anniversary--what a great story and pics. You look beautiful and radiant. I'll be posting my anniversary pics next month.

June 11, 2008 at 7:00 AM

 
Blogger Flatman said...

What an awesome tribute, story and post! Congrats, you two...

June 11, 2008 at 7:08 AM

 
Blogger akbreezo said...

Congrats! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics.

June 11, 2008 at 7:10 AM

 
Blogger Rural Girl said...

Happy Anniversay. It's great to hear about other people's stories. What beautiful wedding pictures!

June 11, 2008 at 7:22 AM

 
Blogger shawn and tracy said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Amazing Pic's too.
Tracy

June 11, 2008 at 7:23 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

Happy Anniversary! Gorgeous dresses (I love the bridesmaids dresses). Thanks for sharing your beautiful story!

After Japan, maybe it will be Jim kissing YOUR biceps... :) hehehe

June 11, 2008 at 7:25 AM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

Happy Anniversary! Love the story too! And the pictures... that's like the perfect dream beach wedding! Congratulations!

June 11, 2008 at 7:37 AM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

Happy Anniversary! Love the pictures, they are beautiful - I would love to have my wedding in Hawaii!

June 11, 2008 at 8:02 AM

 
Blogger TB said...

Awesome...Happy Anniversary!

June 11, 2008 at 8:11 AM

 
Blogger jahowie said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!

June 11, 2008 at 8:14 AM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Cute! Happy Anniversary!!!

And it's always best to start off with a GOOD lie: "I love golfing." Not with a BAD lie: "My doctor says I'm not contagious."

;)

Here's to 80 more!!

June 11, 2008 at 8:40 AM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Happy Anniversary love birds! What a sweet story!!

June 11, 2008 at 8:58 AM

 
Blogger Brooke Myers said...

Happy anniversary to you both...
(that was such a fun day - dancing, laughing, making jokes.. too funny)...

June 11, 2008 at 10:06 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Cunnane said...

What a great story - I love that you can fun, be feisty, and also still be yourself. Your support will go a long way when you hit those not so easy moments in an Ironman race!

June 11, 2008 at 10:23 AM

 
Blogger Danielle said...

What beautiful pictures! It's the first time I have seen pics of you not in a bathing suit or biking shorts!

You are going to rock in Japan....keep visualizing yourself out in front!

June 11, 2008 at 10:35 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Ha why is it we girls always like the cocky guys :).....Happy Anni..to many more good years to both of you!!!! You are beautiful and finally a photo of you with your hair down...Todd just asked "she is a blonde" :) Love ALL the photo's...maybe you can hand your beautiful dress down to Brooke soon :)

June 11, 2008 at 10:50 AM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

You're Married?

June 11, 2008 at 11:13 AM

 
Blogger triguyjt said...

Bree--- thats very nice...
you are a cute couple and I don't think he was after your goggles either!!!! haha

My advice to him is, get up every morning and turn to you and say....."I'm sorry" and then he'll always be one step ahead of you all day long...

We met on a disastrous blind date and it has worked..

June 11, 2008 at 11:39 AM

 
Blogger Laura said...

Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful wedding!!!

June 11, 2008 at 11:58 AM

 
Blogger chrissy parks said...

super cute.
congrats.... cheers to a long life together!
chrissy

June 11, 2008 at 12:11 PM

 
Anonymous Tad and Jennifer Nottage said...

What a beautiful story; and definitely a love one at that......the magic happens when we are not looking and least expect it......Here's to five years and the ebb and tides of loving.....when we dig deep there awaits miracles on the other side of loving....transformed people and a state of grace. Just Wait.

Love the Nottage Family

June 11, 2008 at 12:25 PM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

I loved that day! It was so much fun. The perfect wedding- Truly a blessing from God! You both looked like Movie Stars!- Paul & I were just talking about your wedding today...Your new nephew was almost born on your anniversary! Happy Life Together Bree & Jim...The Richau's love and miss you both!
(You and me both have good husband/ dating stories!)

June 11, 2008 at 12:55 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Do you have the number to Father Murphy down at St. Michael's?

I need to speak with him, again!
I told him you weren't married!

Sinner-

June 11, 2008 at 12:59 PM

 
Blogger BreeWee said...

Patrick... ???? What? I have never been to that church! Hello...Calvary Chapel is not Catholic! Who is Father Murphy? That was your wedding with the dolphins!

June 11, 2008 at 1:05 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

I'm no alter boy but I think a confession is needed with Father Murphy!!LOL!!

June 11, 2008 at 1:08 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

BEAUTIFUL! What a wonderful journey the two of you have been on! Great post and I LOVE the pictures. Aw shucks - you guys are so cute. Glad to hear that he still yanks at your goggles and you make each other laugh! Here's to 80 years! Salute!

June 11, 2008 at 1:47 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Whew...Oscar and I use that verse all the time to remember...and also from Corinthians "love is patient, love is kind..." I need the reminder more than him! :) Anyway, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! Your story of meeting each other and your wedding pictures are equally beautiful. Here's to another 80 years... :)

June 11, 2008 at 1:55 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

Beautiful pictures...you are a Beautiful couple!! I love your Love story! :) So so great. Here's to many happy years.

June 11, 2008 at 2:42 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) said...

How come Pat didn't know? It looks like he's standing there in the family picture (on the right). Well, perhaps not, my eyes are not what they used to be. Congratulations and don't be too busy out training on your anniversary.

June 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, You do clean up nicely! haha...Absolutely beautiful and I am not used to seeing a Hawaiian wedding, so it is refreshing to see how wonderful that is. I was laughing at Jim kissing his biceps. That is great! HAHA. Enjoy your anniversary & taper! Jen H. :)

June 11, 2008 at 4:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love anniversaries!! They are such a remarkable reminder of where we've come and where we are! Congrats and to many many more!! Courtney

June 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM

 
Blogger Amber Dawn said...

love the post, great story :-)
we are getting married in oahu the week after IM Kona.
How could you not marry the guy with the last name Wee? lol

June 11, 2008 at 5:00 PM

 
Blogger Randy said...

Jim, smart thinking pretending you didn't know how to golf ... Happy anniversary you two.

June 11, 2008 at 7:54 PM

 
Blogger kerri said...

This is one of my favorite posts!!! CHEERS!!! Happy 5 years.

June 12, 2008 at 12:08 AM

 
Blogger James and Lindsay Cotter said...

Love that story! Congrats you two!
James and Lindsay

June 12, 2008 at 2:09 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

great pics!
happy anniversary! he is one lucky guy and sounds like you are super lucky to have him in your life:)
-marn

June 12, 2008 at 3:50 AM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Happy Anniversary, also I gave you the wrong metrics the Metric Distance for Ironman is 226k even
3.8k swim, 180k bike, 42.2k run

June 12, 2008 at 3:59 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, BREE & JIM!!!

What a fantastic story and BEAUTIFUL pictures!! Thanks for sharing.

Hope you enjoyed the day together.

Here's to many MANY more years of happiness, growth, adventures and awakenings together. :) S

June 12, 2008 at 4:47 AM

 
Blogger Cy said...

Happy Anniversary-You two are Beautiful.

My first 'date' with my husband was a round of golf as well. You get to know a lot about someone while wacking a little ball around for hours!

June 12, 2008 at 6:25 AM

 
Blogger beth said...

such a great story...so fitting that you met in the water since you are such a fishy!

james and i met the first time on our bikes...we had the same orbea (his was blue, mine pink) and matching white aviators on....destiny!

June 12, 2008 at 8:52 AM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Wee, Sorry I couldn't make it to your wedding! I can't believe you didn't make it to mine either ;-)

XO,
E

June 12, 2008 at 12:22 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Bree,
my shoe size is a 7 1/2 but I wear a 8 or 8 1/2 in asics :)

June 12, 2008 at 1:45 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Bree that was SO nice of you to let Pat/DB win...so he could feel like a real Dolphin, just for a sec ha!!!!! You should be a actress..awesome job on acting like you were so upset :) I give you a 10 +++++++++++++++ I know DB will be all over my butt now :) Bring it!!!!

June 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Mel- I'm sooo sure....

June 12, 2008 at 4:39 PM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Sorry I'm late to the party -- HAPPY BELATED ANNIVERSARY!!!

June 14, 2008 at 8:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home