Aloha!

Sunday, June 1, 2008

In Pursuit Of Excellence...

"Every journey to excellence is filled with challenges, victories, setbacks, lessons, and simple joys..." - Terry Orlick

My bike alone in transition. I checked it in hopes I would be able to race, but there she waited and I never rescued her from T1... She was the very last bike out of the transition...

Hawaii 70.3 was my turn to have a setback and learn a lesson. I really refused, really battled with having to be "mature" about my situation and not being able to race. To say the least, it wasn't an easy day for me. Thankfully that is where good coaches come to the rescue. Sometimes in life we need rescuing from the enemy, in this case it was me that I needed to be resuced from...


My meeting with coach was at 5:30 am race morning. I was convinced in my heart that I would be racing. I had my bottles filled, bike and run gear checked in, ate my prerace meal, had my new Rainbow Brite Splish suit to match my team mate Rach, my very own blue visor, my hot pink shoe laces, neon blue bar wrap, you know... EVERYTHING ready to rock n' roll... everything but my head ready.

Seeing the big picture wasn't on my mind or in my head. I knew Japan was out there and I knew I wanted to do it. BUT because my heart was so set on racing in Hawaii 70.3, at home, I didn't know what damage I could further do to me or the disaster I could create heading into Japan...

With coaches guidance I would not be racing. A few tears later, mostly disappointed in myself, I somehow grew as an athlete and learned a lesson from a set back... I have Japan coming and as an athlete with a big goal I need to do what is best to reach that goal. Coach helped me understand that and then gave me a book and told me to shut up and quit crying... not really. But he did give me a book, "The Pursuit of Excellence".

We all have these journeys we will walk on in our pursuits of excellence. When days like yesterday happen they either grow us a stop closer to being our very best or they hold us back as we dwell on them...

If it weren't for the love and support of my community, family, & coach I would be dwelling... instead I am on a mission and just another step closer to becoming my best.

Jim and Kainoa race day... we spent a lot of time on the bikes chasing our friends all over the course cheering. I REALLY need to write a post on some of the things I saw and heard as a spectator!!! HILARIOUS! I had so much fun cheering for my friends and Brooke... everyone did amazing and THANK GOD my training partner got his Ironman slot! Now I have a training partner!!! Way to go Cody and the other Big Islanders who scored slots to Kona!
And to the bike shop boys at Bike Works, I love you guys so much! I know you had my bike in great shape and took good care of me, I promise not to disappoint in Japan, now who is going with me to put air in my wheels and hook my pedals on??



21 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

Lifesport.....this weekend....LIFESUPPORT....

You and Rachel are true stars and the tri world is lucky to have you representing the sport.

Do you realize how much of a winner you were this weekend?

P-

June 1, 2008 at 7:53 PM

 
Blogger rr said...

I'm laughing so hard at Patrick's comment, that's what Paul was this weekend.

I need to throw those shorts away! And maybe stop standing uphill..

But more importantly, you were a pro yesterday, for looking at the big picture when it meant you had sacrifice the big home race that everyone wanted to see you race. You were so strong. I'm so glad you were there, and remember, this will pay off big time in 3 weeks :)

Love the suits.. I might be wearing my tank right now while doing the dishes.. I'm not a dork or anything..

Rach

June 1, 2008 at 7:56 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Wait....now that i look at the photo of you guys...Bree do you always roll down the top of your shorts? what's up with that? Sarasota thing?

Rachel...least you are standing!! hahaha!

June 1, 2008 at 8:02 PM

 
Blogger Randy said...

Sure Bree, talk me into doing Honu then you bug out. What's up with that? Just kidding. Thanks for talking me into it though. I'm really sore today. Thanks for the on-course cheer and advice. Take care and get healthy for Japan.

June 1, 2008 at 8:15 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) said...

You are now better than I thought, since you were ready to race until just before the race started. I wish I could go to Japan, but I cannot make it this year - maybe next year! I hope you are now firing on all cylinders again and hope the preparation for Japan goes just fine for you.

June 1, 2008 at 8:39 PM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

I think you made the right decision! You'll be glad for it when you get to Japan, and your family will be there too, so it will be kind of like home!

Great seeing you there and Brooke!!

Ok... this may sound crazy, but when I saw you in St. Anthony's, I fell in LOVE with your "Hi" tank top and decided when I got here that I wanted to get one. Well, I'm getting the run around down here looking for it. Do you mind telling me where you got yours from??? Thanks!!

June 1, 2008 at 9:45 PM

 
Blogger Maijaleena said...

Those "rainbow brite" suits are so cute!

It must have been hard not racing, but the big picture is more important anyway. It sounds like you had a lot of fun spectating.

The picture of Jim and Kainoa riding on the bike is priceless. Looks very safe ;)

June 1, 2008 at 11:01 PM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

Suits are great and I LOVE Jim's bike! Hope this means you are feeling better and good job keeping your eye on the BIG PRIZE.
-Danielle

June 2, 2008 at 12:18 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Your disappointment now will all be forgotten in a few weeks time when you ROCK at Japan Bree!! It's those kind of tough decisions (not to race and take a weekend off) that will pay off. And sometimes you learn just as much from being a spectator! Hope you are feeling 100% soon!

June 2, 2008 at 1:26 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Hey Bree!
I think you did the right thing. Way to stay positive and cheer for everyone. I bet it was great to be with the fam during a triathlon and I'm sure you were a great spectator! Rest up..Japan is coming!
-marn

June 2, 2008 at 1:34 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

I am laughing so hard, sorry, but do I see PINK flowers on the bike that Jim is riding...that is great :) Bree you did the right thing and now focus, focus, your key race is coming up so fast!! I am sure the locals were just as pleased to have you on the sidelines for some chatting!!!
Love the Splish suits :)

June 2, 2008 at 1:46 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

Sounds like you have a GREAT coach. :) Enjoy and work hard the next few weeks to get ready for the BIG one!

June 2, 2008 at 1:54 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Your coach is a smart man! Japan is where you will shine. You not racing was probably a great thing not only for your recovery- but for Brooke to grow as an athlete- & for Jim and Kainoa to spend an exciting day with mommy cheering for others!
Next Year- There is always Next Year!

June 2, 2008 at 2:49 AM

 
Blogger Rory said...

Strong winds, a long swim, and a lack of female competitors make me happy I wasn't racing. I would hate to see you and Rach on the sidelines. However, you two have inspired me to get faster.

June 2, 2008 at 4:26 AM

 
Anonymous Naughty said...

All this rest and recovery and freshening up is going to assimilate on your fitness platter and guess what???? Zoom Zoom............Japan here Wee is:)

4 thumbs up for maturity.........XOXO Naughty, Tad (he is so proud of you), Halle and Chipperoo

June 2, 2008 at 5:15 AM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Man o man Wee ;-) I love you tons. Thanks so much for the phone call yesterday, that meant SO much to me. I am so happy that you are feeling better and know deep down in your heart that you did the right thing on Saturday, as tough as I know it must have been. So cool that you are learning and growing so much everyday!

Keep feeling better and resting up.....You're awesome ;-)

E

June 2, 2008 at 7:38 AM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

i totally think you did the right thing! so nice of coach to provide you with some affirming reading material and to help you with this decision.
fwiw, that is what my bike looks like in T1 when i AM racing...so lonely...lol
love the picture of jim and kainoa on the bike, having fun and enjoying the day.

June 2, 2008 at 9:25 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Bree, I'm sorry for your heart that you didn't get to race Honu but am glad for your body that your coach told you no. You are a pro now and Ironman Japan is your target. Continue to recover and get ready to ROCK!!!

June 2, 2008 at 9:32 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

I was wondering what you would decide. LIstening to how you felt during your illness....I feel you absolutely made the rigth decision. Good job. I know it must have been SO tough. Missing races can hurt so so bad. (crashed and tore my shoulder 2 yrs ago and missed a big one I REally wanted to do on home turf) It's awful. You were a strong athlete in a different way. I hope you're feeling yourself Soon!!! Love the suits!!! yOu guys have such cool gear!

June 2, 2008 at 9:54 AM

 
Blogger TB said...

Right decision!

Japan is going to feel like Lance used to say "no chain" on the bike...

Oh, those poor other competitors in Japan...

Onward and Upward!!!

June 2, 2008 at 12:21 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

You have grown SO MUCH BREE! I KNOW how incredibly tough that was - believe me...but you will remember this experience - the good and the bad - and it will fire you up for the rest of your season. Keeping your eyes and heart on THE BIG PRIZE is so important. And while the local races are wonderful to do - especially last weekend's race - you made the right call. It was SO WONDERFUL of you to show up, cheer, spectate, and support all of your friends and fellow racers. And it's only natural for you to feel a bit rough, a bit sad afterwards. It's because you love this sport so much... hang in there tough girl! You made the right call. In 3 week's time, you'll be thanking yourself!

Oh gosh - sorry this was so long!

June 2, 2008 at 1:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home