Aloha!

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Kukio Challenge...

Kainoa showing off one of the best supporters a mom could have!

Kainoa, my trophy... and a "good job mom" kiss!

Bring on the challenge! I seriously LOVE to toss myself into some good competitive fun. Today was one of the islands most beautiful, well organized, exciting outrigger/paddle board events of the year. What makes it even more fun is that a small hand full of us triathletes take the challenge to race some of the best paddlers from the state...

The race is a 1/2 mile swim, 3 mile run, 2 mile paddle board or 4 mile oc1. (Paddle board for me).
Seriously, as a triathlete and not a paddler the only option you have is to swim and run like your life depends on it because once to the paddle you know you are going to get swallowed alive! We had some studs from Oahu and of course the Big Island crew is fierce... BUT my mission was to beat my swim buddy McCary. We talked trash ALL week, dished out the trouble making, and today was time to bring it on!

The event fills at 100 people because the little beach can only handle so many boards & canoes. My swim mission was to be in the front pack and SAVE NOTHING! I clung to McCary's feet for dear life and a little group of 5 of us escaped the rest of the field.

Onto the run I decided to forget all about triathlon. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING triathlon related was outta my mind. I ran as fast as I could from the start and told the 4 boys who pulled me through the swim "thanks, see ya!". Yes, we were still talking smack. Bragging rights were on the line...

I paid for the pacing. I hurt so bad I wanted to barf, BUT I just couldn't let all that trash I was talking to catch me back up... run Forrest run I kept telling myself!

Onto the paddle board I was LOVING the cushion I had on McCary! BUT, I noticed that the "real" paddle women were not gaining on me just yet. I guess my swim/run held them off just enough that my paddle could carry me home. WAY too cool... but even better... McCary was "chicked"!

It was a GREAT day at a BEAUTIFUL beach with family and super friends I totally learned that sometimes you just need to escape triathlon...

video



18 Comments:

Blogger rr said...

Ack! I am so excited you did this. My friend and I were just talking about doing Kukio yesterday.. what an awesome event. I thought it was June 29.. oops.

Oh those paddler girls must be none to stoked about the tri chick that came in and ran away with it... go Wee! So fun!

June 8, 2008 at 8:57 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) said...

Such fun! I wish I'd had a paddle board in Kona. I used to row single-seater sculls when at university and would love to do a "quatrathlon", with something else in the water besides goggles.

June 8, 2008 at 10:15 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Congrats Bree!! Now that looks like fun!! I was really glad you included the video because truthfully, I didn't really know what "paddling" was!! That's what you get for growing up in Pittsburgh! :)

June 9, 2008 at 1:32 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Hellllooooo... that is the COOLEST thing! OH MY GOD.. your arms had to be like wet noodles after that!!!
The video is way cool.
Love it!

June 9, 2008 at 2:26 AM

 
Blogger Flatman said...

Awesome race....way to go. :)

June 9, 2008 at 3:45 AM

 
Blogger triguyjt said...

fantastic race....

you find the coolest things to do,....

can you even brush your teeth today/// your arms have to be toast,,,,wow

June 9, 2008 at 3:53 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

OK Bree where you the ONLY one doing the race...there was NO ONE near you...where the heck was everyone????? love the photo of little K giving mommy kisses...that is one that needs to be framed and on your wall :)

June 9, 2008 at 4:18 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Way to go!!! I love the comment about the "wet noodle" arms. :) NICE JOB! What a great race, and great workout! Phenominal job on the swim!!

June 9, 2008 at 4:20 AM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

I think there is nothing you can't do!! My arms would have been useless!! Congratulations on what sounds like a fun and awesome race!!

June 9, 2008 at 4:29 AM

 
Blogger Rory said...

I like the "hurry up" on the video.

June 9, 2008 at 5:03 AM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

LOVE THE VIDEO! Let me guess? DB is now your official video/picture boy now too?!

Looks like tons of fun! I agree with Mel though...seriously, was there anyone else out there?! =)

June 9, 2008 at 5:33 AM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

SUPER COOL WEE! YAY! So much fun....I can't wait to come for our secret training camp ;-) You, me and P.

Love,
E

June 9, 2008 at 5:42 AM

 
Blogger BreeWee said...

Oh, that is Jim filming and Jim yelling "hurry up" and the boys were right behind me on the run...
yes, the arms a bit noodley ,

June 9, 2008 at 5:54 AM

 
Blogger Danielle said...

That must have been such a nice change of pace from a normal triathlon? Did you end up beating all the boys?

June 9, 2008 at 6:15 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

For some reason I am just cracking up...Jim yelling "hurry up!" and "Go mama!" This is GREAT, BREE!!!!

What a fun day. Yes, doing things other than tri can be lots of fun - nice to break it up. :)

Congrats on showing all those paddlers what's up!! AND WAY TO BEAT THE GUY!!!

June 9, 2008 at 7:16 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

The Hawaii races always look like so much fun! Girls must organize them- cuz the set-up, colors etc. always seem like a movie set! (Hayden and Paul just tried out paddling last weekend!)
I take it you won?

June 9, 2008 at 8:58 AM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job!! And great to see a little of how it all works in the video!

(side note: I first found your blog a few weeks ago, and I'd LOVE to post your finishing time from the Honolulu Marathon during my first marathon in under 2 weeks - killer run!!)

June 9, 2008 at 8:59 AM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

Looks like a lot of fun...and you can move on the paddle board. The rest of us run little 5ks locally--and in Hawaii they are out at the beach and on the water for their fun local things. That is true paradise to me!
-Danielle

June 9, 2008 at 10:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home