Aloha!

Friday, July 18, 2008

Pushing Through...

Top of Mt. Doug with Sam Mazer and Caroline Smith


Yesterday may go down in history as my most challenging training day ever. Maybe if I was super fresh, tapered, rested, or under other circumstances it would have been fine. But yesterday hurt. It really hurt. Mentally and physically it was all or none and nothing in between would get the job done.

When it comes to all or none there is something special about being at a training camp with incredible athletes and coach Paul & coach Dan... they help you make it happen...

The swim. I was instantly feeling my arms fall off when the main set was given. It totaled more LONG COURSE METERS than I do in one week of practice back home! My brain hurt wondering how it would focus that long. My arms hurt and they hadn't even hit the water yet. My legs hurt and they weren't even wet.

BUT there was a small part of me knowing that THIS IS WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A BETTER SWIMMER. I was going to do it. I wanted to do it.

The challenge was 2 broken up miles... as 2x (400, 2x200, 4x100, 8x50) and they only get faster. The amount of rest is insane short... so insane that if you let the pain, the fear, the doubts of making the send off creep in you would not make it. Anybody that knows how to swim could swim the set, it was the pace that would make or break you.

The first part was a good challenge as coach let me pretty much leave on Lisa's feet. He knew for my survival I would need to draft. Her swimming compared to mine is night and day... her feet I clung to as best as I could, knowing if I let go for even one tiny moment of doubt I would be lost, on my own, in that long meter pool. A part of me was having fun, a small part hurt, and a part was in shock that me + swimming were "friends".

Round 2, I had to leave 10 seconds back. Instantly it went from "fun" trying to draft to "help". The first 400 of the second round pretty much felt lonely without the feet and Lisa was slowly moving further and further ahead, more than the 10 seconds I left behind her...

Something happened though, I had made the first round so unless my arms really do fall off I was GOING to make the second round. My mind was made up... I maybe died 4x in that set but it was by far the one of those sessions that go into the "Heck ya!!" tool box!

Thetis Lake... did you know this swim spot was written up in Tri Mag as one of the top swim spots in the world! Of course it was listed AFTER Kona...

The Olympian, Coach, The Ironman...

After the swim the day got better...

We had a run... 8 x 2k repeats. They were on the 10 minutes... I had to make them sub 8 minutes, it was my mission. I wanted to hold as close to 6 min. mile pace as possible. (if my math and miles/kilometer conversion is right). Warm up felt good, life was good, I wanted to run. Usually on the insane runs my mind poops before my legs. Today was different. The mind was so tuff (thanks Terry!!) Maybe some Japan left in them (I am tired of that reason) maybe coming off a half ironman 5 days ago, not sure, but the legs decided to stop. Honest to goodness they told me OUT LOUD that they were done. Not usually one to cuss I told them a few choice words that meant WE WERE GOING TO HAVE A BREAK THROUGH RUN! They were in the pain you feel during the last 6 miles of a hard marathon.

Coach Dan and Olympian Lisa (I love saying that) were my targets. Pretty much I told myself 8x I would have to stare at the back of their heads or I might as well go home and watch Oprah... I don't like the Oprah Show so I ran... hard...

That workout hurt worse than any race. I know that if you can't do it in training then when the going gets tuff in a race you won't be able to handle it... I might want to pop out another baby than ever run that again! Now, when that HORRIBLE mile 20 of the marathon hits I will be able to imagine the run where I did whatever it took to breathe down the back of Lisa and Coach Dan's necks... they pushed me to some new run pain tolerance for sure...

Post run... Just before the ice bath...

To top off the swim and run that hurt worse than child birth, Coach Paul's dad, (Poppa Bruce) caught us the most beautiful salmon I have ever eaten! THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES! I think coach could use a meal like this to bribe me into another run session similar in the near future...



12 Comments:

Blogger D said...

If there's anywhere in BC that I think is better than here in kick ass Vancouver, it's Victoria!
You are a lucky... girl.
Keep kicking ass over there! :)

July 18, 2008 at 8:50 PM

 
Blogger Randy said...

Way to pull the swim together Bree. Keep enjoying your training.

July 18, 2008 at 9:23 PM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Haha, I like that having to watch Oprah threat to motivate you to run strong (I've never watched Oprah and have no desire to). May have to try that.

That salmon looks delish!

July 18, 2008 at 10:24 PM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

You are so blessed, Bree.
What an awesome opportunity and you are taking full advantage of it!

July 19, 2008 at 2:04 AM

 
Blogger LeAnn said...

I hear ya on the swim...dont you **LOVE** long course meters.

July 19, 2008 at 5:42 AM

 
Blogger triguyjt said...

what a workout......

didn't you do an eight hour traing fest a few months back???

this one just seemed so darn intense

July 19, 2008 at 6:23 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

You know what is really scary Bree..is even tho you were in pain and trying so hard to hold on...NO ONE whould have known you were in pain...as that is how kick a$$ you are :)

July 19, 2008 at 1:22 PM

 
Blogger Monica Kvas said...

Wow! Great job Bree! Love reading all your updates! Isn't the power of our mind just amazing?
I'm live in Ottawa and Terry Orlick is definitely one of the most sought out profs at Ottawa U.
Glad you are enjoying Canada! I'm still dreaming of moving to Hawaii one day!

July 19, 2008 at 2:41 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

The last couple of days I basically negatively splitted on two mile plus swims. I see the first mile as a warm up but then it seems I increasingly come alive and smoother and faster the further I go. Wish I could swim in a big pool like you. I need 14 or 15 strokes just to get into a rhythm, but then I have to turn and start all over again. At least I have something in common with your hero "Poppa Bruce" - my name and probably age, too. Enjoy your training.

July 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM

 
Blogger Kristie said...

Keep up the hard work Bree, I am praying for you!!!!

July 19, 2008 at 4:33 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

wow...i can't believe you are able to get that kind of quality out of your legs 4 weeks after an IM with a half thrown in there... you are tuff!
i'm still looking for more recovery time!
enjoy the rest of your time in canada ;)

July 19, 2008 at 5:55 PM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

I TOTALLY MISS YOU ALREADY! Sorry I got so sick and couldnt do several of the last workouts with you guys ;( But Coach was right in that my health has to come first! I really loved the workouts that we did together, you always make me want to try harder, faster and stronger ;-) You are my inspiration ALWAYS!! Luv ya!!

E

July 19, 2008 at 6:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home