Aloha!

Monday, July 14, 2008

Vancouver 1/2 Ironman...

Sport Media Release: July 13th, 2008Vancouver, BC, CanadaCanadian triathletes Cheryl Murphy and Jasper Blake both posted come from behind victories with world class run performances at the Subaru Vancouver Half and Sprint Triathlon. The race served as the Subaru West Coast Triathlon Series Women’s Championships and the women did not disappoint with 4 top 10 finishes overall. First out of the water was Hawaii’s Bree Wee with a strong 25:50 swim clocking giving her a 2:30 lead. Wee lost her advantage when she went off course allowing Rachel Kiers of Vancouver to move into the front and gain a 6 minute lead by the end of the bike. Kiers stayed solid on the run to retain her lead over Wee but could not hold off a fast charging Cheryl Murphy (Canada) who erased a 10 minute deficit to over take Kiers in thrilling fashion only 200 metres from the finish line to take the title. Wee finished next to complete the exciting women’s podium. Rounding out the top 5 were Americans Caroline Smith and Katya Meyers.

I just love Vancouver, always have so much fun here. And it is feeling a lot like home so race day I was feeling more eager to race and butterflies were at an all time low... phewww!

The swim was cold (of course, anytime I am in a wet suit it is COLD!) BUT wet suits do make for fast swimming and cold water makes for "Hurry, get this done and get out of here!" The lead man was outta sight, that left Eileen and me battling it out for the chase group with about 3 men drafting us (weird to have them behind us). We traded spots a few times and that kept sighting better, and I like having her as a swim buddy. Of course I was feeling my IM swim training and got stronger as we made the second loop...

I was first chick out and set the swim course record and my new 1.2 mile pr (25:50) I even high-fived coach when making my second loop! He was wondering what in the world I was doing... ha! Having too much fun of course!

Off to the bike, I knew I would feel some IM Japan in me but I told the legs to be silent! I was following the lead woman's motorcycle and I kid you not... HE DROVE ME OFF COURSE! So, about a 1 mile detour and another mile to get back on course I was now behind! I was frustrated but calm... told myself to still go for it.

Got off the bike second after cat-n-mousing with Caroline Smith (I really dislike that on the bike! That is why I never plan to race Clearwater...) Rachel Kier's (Candian rookie pro super stuf!) was first off the bike and second overall...

The run started off GREAT! I could not believe how good my legs felt. I was thinking I might be able to run myself back to the front, I did make up time on the lead woman...


At mile 8 though I felt like my legs were about to finish a marathon, Japan came flooding back. The quads turned to bricks and my mission became "DO NOT WALK" . I ran as best as I could but got passed by my Victoria buddy, the Murph-i-nator! She flew by, she holds a 2:40 marathon pr so this was a walk in the park for her and her 1:18 13.1 she ran! I did set my new "off the bike 13.1 pr" with a 1:26.10. I will take it.

So, 3rd over all and totally stoked about my swim and run time. It hurt, I worked SO hard for it, and LOVE having to challenge myself in moments of sheer pain to press on. Of course the detour on the bike cost me some extra miles and unwanted time... BUT life happens and a lesson in grace and humility is sometimes a good thing...

Now for a training camp in Victoria...



30 Comments:

Blogger Brooke Myers said...

Congratulations Bree....
so glad you had a great race and thanks for calling last night to fill me in...
Have a great week of training!!

July 14, 2008 at 6:34 AM

 
Blogger TB said...

Lots to hold your head high about! Lots!

"God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

1 Peter 5:5

July 14, 2008 at 6:39 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

Bree! Love that you set a run off bike PR and that you can push through heavy legs. Good for you!!!! Send some of that to me!!! Oh, and the swim??? Awesome!!!!

July 14, 2008 at 7:00 AM

 
Blogger Flatman said...

Wow...you handled being led off course by that lead moto alot better than I would have. :(

Congrats on a speedy fast race though!!! Go Bree!

July 14, 2008 at 7:16 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

great race!!! Glad you were so positive during the race> enjoy your camp and training!!
-marn

July 14, 2008 at 7:27 AM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

Fantastic PR's Bree! Your swim is just amazing me...must be that butterfly you've been practicing!!LOL!!! CONGRATS my friend.
Have fun with training camp!

dolphin boy

July 14, 2008 at 7:28 AM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

That's really awesome Bree! You are such a stud! Have fun in the cooler weather!!

July 14, 2008 at 7:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Rodger and I were on the computer checking things out! When you called you sounded great, and you sounded Thankful, so very very proud of the amazing Pro that you are! Way to go, Enjoy this week and this journey! Proud of you, God bless you indeed! Love Mom and Rodger

July 14, 2008 at 8:04 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Way to GO! WOW - congrats on an awesome race. You went harder AND farther than any other compeditor - by about 2 miles on the bike... :) Way to keep it going, though! Yes yes yes!

July 14, 2008 at 8:16 AM

 
Blogger Brad said...

Great seeing you this past weekend!!! Now that you are away, Angela may have mentioned that you were the mastermind behind the exploding chair. Game on, girl. ;)
See you in Penticton!

July 14, 2008 at 8:30 AM

 
Blogger Tri to Be Funny said...

Man--most mediocre age groupers wouldn't have handled your detour with the grace and dignity with which you have!! Thanks for showing us what it's like from the front of the pack!

July 14, 2008 at 9:04 AM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

Great job Bree!! Did you swim in the English Bay? How cold was the water? Hopefully it warmed up from World's a month ago! Sounds like you really wanted to get out of there pretty quickly with such a speedy swim split!

July 14, 2008 at 9:08 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Wow! Seriously, give that motorcycle guy a course map the night before to study! Too funny though and your attitude is always amazing and upbeat! You had a wonderful race so I am glad you didn't let the detour slow you down! Way to go Bree!

July 14, 2008 at 9:17 AM

 
Blogger runninggunner said...

Great Race!!!

July 14, 2008 at 9:53 AM

 
Blogger beth said...

goooooooooooooo bree! awesome! i CANNOT believe those dummies lead you off course. you are too sweet to call them dummies, but we can do it for you. i mean, come on, SERIOUSLY? that happened?
say congrats to Katya for me too!!!

July 14, 2008 at 10:23 AM

 
Blogger Randy said...

Congratulations Bree. Way to Keep a positive attitude on the bike. Glad you had a great race. Have fun at training camp.

July 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

'Bree Wee: She gets off the course by 2 miles and STILL podiums and STILL has a PR for her run'

Wow. Bree, you are such an inspiration to me. You exemplified what it means not to lose your head when something goes wrong in a race. You stayed in it and with it and you came back strong. WAY TO ROCK IT, SISTA!

Congrats on such an awesome swim and run (and bike - let's face it - you did 2 extra miles and still kicked butt!). Have fun at camp!

:) S

July 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM

 
Blogger Paul said...

Great job out there!! And way to have fun! Enjoy your training camp.

July 14, 2008 at 11:18 AM

 
Blogger chrissy parks said...

holy swim batman!! way to go! inspiring to say the least!

July 14, 2008 at 11:52 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Congrats Bree!! Too bad about going off course - you would think the motorcycle guy would know where he was going!! But you had a great attitude and came back with a great run. Impressive!! Hope your camp goes well and have fun!

July 14, 2008 at 11:59 AM

 
Blogger Maijaleena said...

Tough luck about going off course on the bike, but great job on the race! Congrats on the 1/2 swim and run PR's. Enjoy your camp in Victoria.

July 14, 2008 at 12:45 PM

 
Blogger Maijaleena said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 14, 2008 at 12:45 PM

 
Anonymous Naughty said...

Wow.......you sound so invigorated and happy.......therefore we are happy for you! Love the Nottage Family back in Kona:-)

July 14, 2008 at 1:00 PM

 
Blogger triguyjt said...

bree...way to stay cool...

and way to show the class of a champion in dealing with the detour which was no fault of yours...

congrats......

way to rock it...

July 14, 2008 at 1:13 PM

 
Blogger Angela and David Kidd said...

Congrats on a great race. I am amazed at how well you handled being led of course and came back to PR your run. That's tough stuff.

July 14, 2008 at 1:28 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

25 in the 1.2 swim!!! Woah baby!! That's a rockin' swim time my friend. I'm impressed. I can't believe you got driven off course! Great job staying postive and finishing hard!!! Congratulations. enjoy the training!!

July 14, 2008 at 2:25 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Maybe you should learn to study the map before the race. I don't know what you are supposed to do, but you should have said goodbye to the motorcycle when he veered off course. Try to make sure you know how to bike the course for the race coming up in a few weeks. You are doing great. Enjoy the camp and don't overdo it.

July 14, 2008 at 3:09 PM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

We love you and are proud of all you are! Way to go AGAIN Superstar!
Have a great week-
Love The Richau's
P.S. Aubrey took your Mission Backpack- (blue and white hibiscus) to Jamaica so to have a part of your great Mission Trip Times with her.

July 14, 2008 at 3:38 PM

 
Blogger Runner Leana said...

Congratulations Bree! The swimming confidence must have really worked for you. Shame about being led of course, but what a great positive attitude you have! Have a great time in Victoria - it is gorgeous out there!

July 15, 2008 at 4:30 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, taking time to work on your swim a while back looks to have paid off. Congrats on those awesome swim and run times and the third place finish. I'm sure you'll not be led off course again.

July 15, 2008 at 7:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home