Aloha!

Saturday, August 2, 2008

It's all about the tan lines...


Why on Earth would anyone ride their bike that long!? For the GREAT tan of course! Seriously, bike short tan lines are the hippest thing these days and I REALLY wanted to have a cool tan. The only way to get my tan that hip was to sit on my bike for 6.5 hours, then of course run in those same bike shorts after biking (just to make sure the tan is set in). Yes, I am being sarcastic!

Today marks the LONGEST bike ride of my entire life. I have friends that have ridden bajillions of 6.5 hour rides, handfuls of 7 hour rides, and I even know a couple girls that ride for 8. My longest rides (both of them) were during the actual Ironmans I have raced. I felt pretty wimpy that I never really rode bike that long and have always wanted to go FAR, really FAR...

Today was the day! Of course I was not planning on going solo (un-charted territory needs back-ups). So I called my favorite Kona training buddy- Cody! He and I did literally EVERY single training session together last year for Kona. We were both the new kids on the block. We did a bunch of 3, a couple 4, and one LONG ride last year for Kona of 5.5 hours. On that 5.5 hour ride we died a slow death. It was like the blind leading the blond. We had no clue how much food or water to bring, how to pace, we never used HR monitors, what was an electrolyte?, it was a nightmare. During that ride (we actually only rode 5 hours because we kept stopping) we even wanted to call for someone to pick us up... but we managed to make it back to town...

So, when I asked him to come along on a 6.5 he was game. Pretty much the entire ride we laughed at our long ride from last year. We made fun of each others dying up hills, wanting to walk, and made bets on when we would crumble this year.

We never crumbled. We ate and drank ourselves so silly that it was as if we were on a sugar high for 6.5 hours! I went through 16 Nuun tablets too! Of course the ride ended with high-fives and congrats to each other, we totally thought we accomplished what no man had done before (but we know others have), no more rookies on the block.

Feeling so proud. So happy. So stoked about my longest ride ever... then I bump into my friend Tom. He is in his 60's and totally a stud. Of course he is racing Kona. I just have to share my excitement of the LONG ride I took, I knew he would appreciate it. Maybe be impressed too...

After my ramble he goes on to tell me he has ridden 7+ hour rides plenty! I am no longer feeling that cool. My 64 year old bud rides his bike longer than me and to top it off he was just finishing up a 3 hour aqua jogging session!

I wonder how cool a tan I would get aqua jogging for 3 hours! I might just be on a new mission, hope Cody likes to aqua jog!

Happy tan lines everyone!


.



19 Comments:

Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

My longest bike ride still stands at 16 plus hours in 1977 (180 miles, my first attempt) (but that was the UK so no tan lines). I would have given anything to quit with 40 miles to go, but I was on my own and I had no choice but to get on with it.
I will ask Shirley to lend me her swim parachute. If you pull that, we may be more evenly matched for a 2.4m swim.

August 2, 2008 at 11:17 PM

 
Blogger James and Lindsay Cotter said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 3, 2008 at 1:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bree! I can ONLY imagine what kind of tan lines you would get in KONA riding and running and swimming out there all the time!! We had fun with RR this weekend, wish you could have joined us! You casual Hawaii gals are good for us uptight midwesterners! HA! good job on your long ride! Jen H.

August 3, 2008 at 3:32 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Hey Bree...You are so lucky to have a friend like Cody to laugh with through your long ride. Sounds like you guys had fun! Now go to the beach in your Bikini w/ J + K and lose that funky rider's tan!

August 3, 2008 at 5:19 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

gotta love the tan lines. Ok, after coming in first amateur at Kona I'm not sure I can congratulate you on your "long ride" but I will do it anyways!
....congrats on your long bike ride!!! :)
-marn

August 3, 2008 at 5:27 AM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

That is awesome! I agree about the tan lines - I seem to have permanent cycling short tan lines that never go away! I always say that if you don't have cycling short tan lines, then you're not doing enough biking!

August 3, 2008 at 6:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go.....Proud of you-keep biking...and training...tell the boys hello and miss you soooo much.
Love Mom and Rodger

August 3, 2008 at 7:16 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

I secretly love tan lines! Ahhh...riding with friends makes the time fly. 6.5 hours is a lot- and there is no way I would do that solo either! Glad you got another first accomplished in your training.

August 3, 2008 at 10:23 AM

 
Blogger Bob Mitera said...

My two longest rides are both INDOORS -
2006 ALS Spin a thon - 8.5 hours
2007 ALS Spin a thon - 10 hours

Longest outdoors is 8:21 in the Horribly Hilly 200k and "The Death Ride" of 256 miles - I have no idea how long it took because my watch died on the trip...sunrise to sunset is what I can confirm.

August 3, 2008 at 12:20 PM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

My longest ride was probably my first century, which took close to 7 hours because I was very new to riding a road bike and a terrible cyclist. No cool tan lines like yours afterwards thanks to cloudy skies that turned into a torrential rainstorm the last 10 miles. Glad you had company on your ride!!

August 3, 2008 at 12:56 PM

 
Blogger Meredith said...

Hey Bree....as stated in a blog long ago in a faraway place, I do once weekly "bikini" swims here in Tucson in an effort to even out the bike tattoo tan...Just a light 2k in the pool to shake things out, and my belly gets a bit browner too! Sweeeeeeeeeet

August 3, 2008 at 1:39 PM

 
Blogger Kona Shelley said...

Living in Kona and you "still" get tan lines..hmmmm...:-))

August 4, 2008 at 1:52 AM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

16 Nuuns?! That's awesome! That's the mark of a good ride!!

August 4, 2008 at 1:57 AM

 
Blogger jahowie said...

Congrats on finishing your long ride!! I had cycling jersey tanlines on my arms one year that were so dark that they didn't go away all the way through the winter!! Winter is that season that we northerners have to endure about six months out of the year by the way. ;-)

August 4, 2008 at 2:23 AM

 
Blogger Flatman said...

Sounds like fun...glad you had company! :)

August 4, 2008 at 3:22 AM

 
Blogger Danielle said...

I am happy to say that I am tan line free on my legs. That is the one place where I go bonkers if I have tan lines. Now my arms? That's another story!

August 4, 2008 at 6:32 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

NICEEEEEE LINES WEE....You are a crazy woman...that would be way toooooo long of a ride for my azzzzzzz to handle:) It is good when you have a hot guy to suffer with you.... makes it a little less painful:)

August 4, 2008 at 7:07 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey Bree,

That's funny - we both rode for the same amount of time on Saturday! Hope you enjoyed your ride as much as I enjoyed mine. And yes, I have some SERIOUS tan lines too. :)

However, I did not run after my ride. I ate!

p.s. I had a hot guy to ride with, too - that made it WAY more fun!!!

August 5, 2008 at 11:46 AM

 
Blogger themagicisback said...

Nice Pic! I saved it to my computer. This ride was the biggest confidence boost this year! Loved it! As for the aqua jogging I may have to start doing it because of my planter fasheitis. However you spell it! HAHA! Damn wussy feet!

August 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home