Aloha!

Saturday, August 16, 2008

This week's wonder...

Teammate Linsey Corbin vrooming with a disc and "really cool" helmet...

This week, all week, last week too actually, I have been wondering... about a disc and an aero helmet. WONDERING lots of things about them...

Why that helmet? How can you breathe, where does the heat rise to? If I move my head to the right or left (I don't ride very still) will I get whip-lash if the wind hits me? How much will it really save? Is it that much lighter? Seriously, why coach?

My list of questions goes on and on...

I have never liked that helmet. NOT because I think I am too cool for it, seriously, I ride bike most days in a t-shirt, but because perhaps I just don't get it. When coach INSISTED I get one and use it I had 14 excuses why I shouldn't...

To name a few, Wellington doesn't use it and no chick can out bike her even with one and I will cook my brain in that oven. I also don't keep my head still and the purpose of "aero" will fly out the window with that thing on my head...

EXAMPLE:
That is Beth (she let me borrow this photo, thanks Beth, I love ya!). We have similar riding styles, how the heck will that head position ever be aero with an aero helmet? Maybe if I can master Linsey's bike position it would be effective. But what about the heat? Explain that one please.

I have been holding a Rudy Project aero helmet that was given to me thanks to my cool friends at Johnson & Blanton, for the past couple weeks, and I still have not used it. I did put cool Hawaii flowers all over it though...

Now wheels... I have heard everything from 2-15 minutes can be saved on an Ironman distance ride with a deep dish wheel or disc. REALLY? What about a little thing called wind? Talk about life on an island, I train in stuff that if I was ever caught with anything kinda big on my bike I would blow clear into the ocean. Okay, I confess, I am a chicken. Here I am holding these BEAUTIFUL Zipps thanks again to Johnson & Blanton, still have not test drove them, but I did put a cool Hawaiian flag sticker on them...

What's a girl to do? Coach is on my case to use the stuff, to try it, to be a "pro", and I confess he is probably right (like always), but me and that stuff... oh man!

I was supposed to use them on Thursdays ride, intervals. I didn't. I had reasons though. It was windy. We had so much rain it caused run-off and made the roads a mess. There was glass on the road. Queen K is under construction. And I was scared...

Here we are about a week till race day. Now what's a girl to do. Contact her friends/teammates of course! Ring, ring, ring, calling Linsey Corbin, Rachel Ross, Elizabeth Fedofsky, & Eileen Swanson...

Girls help! Here are some of my most favorite responses from them...


  • Totally ride the disc, it's like a sail
  • Whooosh, whooosh, whoooooooosh
  • Sperm helmet, hate it, but coach requires me to use it, the RP has a low dork factor
  • Negative drag, yo! (that had me laughing...) me and no drag might not belong in the same sentence.
  • It's the engine
  • All that crap about your head getting hot - lie
  • The wind is not like where we live
  • Science says it makes you faster
  • You won't get whip-lash!
  • Wheels and sperm helmet really help, at least if you're in shape...
And the VERY best reason, had to agree 100%, and laugh is:

"You will be fine! And then coach can't tell you after the race how you would have been a minute faster or whatever if you'd ridden the disk/worn the helmet, you know?"

Thanks girls, knew I could count on you... now to try the wheel and helmet out sometime before race day... anyone up for a spin around the block? Don't be embarrassed though if I show up with a disc and aero helmet just to go around the block...


.



24 Comments:

Blogger beth said...

well...aside from how COOL i look being completely UN-AERO, i think its quite funny how now many people (including you) will get an image of me in their heads when they are racing to remind themselves not to do that. "less beth, more LINSEY!!!"
i almost feel special!

goood luck! have fun. kick some aero butt!

August 16, 2008 at 11:00 AM

 
Blogger rr said...

I do not know WHO said that last bad thing :)

You will scare the gatorade out of your competition with that disk/helmet combo - I can't wait for pictures!!!!!

August 16, 2008 at 11:53 AM

 
Blogger Roo said...

I had to laugh at this one because I always try my new stuff (including a disc wheel and aero helmet at one point) out by riding around the block. In fact, I don't think I've ever ridden my race wheels anywhere except around the block and on race courses! I'm a chicken too, but it always disappears on race day!

August 16, 2008 at 11:56 AM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

go for it all and scare the bejeezies out of everyone like you always do!!!

August 16, 2008 at 11:57 AM

 
Blogger The Young Family said...

You will do great! I love the last comment too, no "what could've beens" from the coach!

Em

August 16, 2008 at 1:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use all the pro gear you can get your hands on :)

Good luck in the upcoming race.

Its monday 01:14 in the night here in sweden, 0300 the womens Os trihatlon is on.. hope Lisa Nordén will do good.

Best regards from sweden.

Adrian

August 16, 2008 at 1:20 PM

 
Blogger Roo said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one!

August 16, 2008 at 1:46 PM

 
Blogger Roo said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one!

August 16, 2008 at 1:46 PM

 
Blogger Amber Dawn said...

I am not fast enough to really benefit from a sperminator helmet, but I have one anyways, thanks to a birthday gift :-)
I was worried about the heat factor as well, but I have used it on the hottest days we've had and it was fine. I forgot I had it on. Until I would see the shadow, and was reminded of that alien on the Flinstones.
Oh, and the best part is that the bugs that usually end up flying into the helmet just bounce off :-)

August 16, 2008 at 2:32 PM

 
Blogger Train-This said...

You are going to be a champion in what you feel comfortable in. If you don't like your bike but a wind tunnel says it's the "fastest" ..... if you don't feel one with your bike then you won't ride your best. If you don't like what's on your head, if you don't feel ONE with it you won't ride your best.

Bree don't ignore what makes you the athlete you are. The one thing you have always had. The one thing you will always need. The one thing that the world will try to take away from you. Your instinct. YOUR INSTINCT IS NEVER WRONG.

August 16, 2008 at 3:12 PM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Glad our answers could help or confuse you more...HA! That's what we're here for....LOVE YA WEE!! Miss ya lots!

E

August 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM

 
Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Oh Bree, are you converting to the dark side?! =)

August 17, 2008 at 3:28 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

I thought I was the only one who called them "sperm helmets"!! I never really said it out loud though. Now I'm writing it in a blog, that people actually read. How life changes. I wear one too, because they gave it to me, and they say it makes you fast. If they told me to paint myself in chocolate, and roll in feathers and I'd be faster, I might do that too though so I don't think that says much!

The chocolate won't help you, the helmet will - JUST DO IT!

August 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM

 
Blogger Sarah McMillan said...

Sperm Helmet....Check
Disc............Check
Bring 'em Wee!
Here is one more thing to add to your bags:
Your favourite Floaty, ie: large blow up alligator, tube or palm tree to 'float the channel' on the day after ironman. The ultimate recovery day!
OH, and here is the best place to check our local forcast so you know what to pack for (looks like IMC will be a toasty one this year) And it doesn't really rain here unless it says 80% or more chance: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cabc0218
We meet by the big Peach to swim in the lake most mornings at 7, hopefully catch up with you there.
See you in Penticton!

August 17, 2008 at 4:01 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Coming from a guy with serious gear envy, the deep dish wheels can help even in Hawaii, although I heard from a couple of the guys I ride with Zipp 808 and Zipp 404's are easier to control in the cross winds than the 1080's or a 1080/ rear disc combo. 808's would probably be your best bet,or at least that's what I would choose if I had the dinero.

Good luck in Canada!

August 17, 2008 at 6:42 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Lisa crashed on the bike in Beijing, but still finished the race. A true competitor! BTW, when do you arrive in Penticton?

August 17, 2008 at 10:46 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

YEAH those disk wheels scare the bajesus out of me...they are COOL looking and make really FAST sweet noises..BUT my last R4R Half IM race it was super windy and some guy flew by me whith the disk wheel and ended up in the air and landed in the ditch on top of another biker....so too scary for me with the wind ;) I don't get the helmet either, but Todd wears one too and loves it!!! So I say go look like a dork and try it:)

August 18, 2008 at 3:57 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Well, I race with a sperm helmet only because it makes me ride faster than I normally would without one. I too was worried about the heat but, honestly, I haven't noticed it being any hotter than a regular helmet (then again, I only race 1/2 IMs so far).

Don't know about deep dish rims or disk wheels since I'm not a skilled enough rider to handle them in strong winds but love catching folks who ride with them :-)

August 18, 2008 at 3:58 AM

 
Blogger jameson said...

I love that you called beth out on this... now it's not just me!

August 18, 2008 at 6:32 AM

 
Blogger Paul said...

There always is the wheel cover option. 35 bucks or so gets you a disc that is comfortable since it is your normal spoked wheel. Less jarring. Aero benefit is the same. Coolness factor is slightly lower. I like the LG rocket because I get good ventilation. I have not had problems getting hot, but who knows. I would worry about 112 miles on an unforgiving disc. Canada isn't flat either is it?

Don't worry about the techie stuff and just ride girlie. You're gonna do great.

August 18, 2008 at 9:45 AM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

I don't know if it really makes that much of a difference or not, but I'll take any sort of advantage I can get!! :) Have fun with all that new cool stuff!!

August 18, 2008 at 10:18 AM

 
Blogger Flatman said...

LOL at Beth's photo. Don't let here un-aero-ness fool ya...she is one fast cookie too! :)

August 18, 2008 at 10:43 AM

 
Blogger Lana said...

I've got a sperm helmet, and I've only used it once. I didn't get hot in it...but I also couldn't tell that it made too much of a difference. Although...if I could bike like you...it might make a difference. It won't hurt to try it!! Every second counts!

August 18, 2008 at 11:42 AM

 
Blogger Sugar said...

you must really read the forum on www.teamtbb.com.
no disks for chicks. unless you plan on going 24 +mph, it's also a hard ride that beats up for the run.
you'll go slower and seemed in canada you were kind of spent, ending up in the med tent, pushing that disk along. belinda didn't ride a disk, brett won't let her.

only areo helmet if it's a cold temp. no vents make you heat up. chrissie and emma snowill don't even go near them. emma doesn't ride a disk either and she always as the fastest bike splits in non drafting oly distance races. plus she ride's 650's cuz she's small like you.

good luck out there, be safe!

August 28, 2008 at 12:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home