Aloha!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

75 Nights...

Ugh... that yucky feeling I get every time I am about to take a trip hit today, on the bike. It hit at mile 40 of my ride, the next 36 miles were cheered up when my pal Dave met up with me near Kwaihae. 6 more nights in my own bed, then I will fly out to my final triathlon of the year.

I counted on the calendar all the nights I did not sleep in Kona, after Longhorn the grand total will be 75! 75 nights...! For this home-sick chick that is a lot...more than enough. THANKFULLY Kainoa got to spend most of those nights with me (2 Florida trips, IM Japan, and Oahu a couple times)...

This year has been such a wonderful adventure! Meeting amazing people, seeing some great places, and learning to be a bit more independent. No doubt a dream come true. I remember talking to TJ Tollakson at the start of the season, he told me the biggest challenge will be the travel. When you go from racing locally to nationally/internationally everything changes.

He is right. I've endured anywhere from a 3 hour to a 19hr time change, language barriers, new customs, a diversity of foods and cultures, and some of the most freezing water ever swam in...through it all I have learned to pack.

My new bike packing record is a whopping 14 minutes (unless the pedals trip me up), I can weezle my way into getting my bike to fly free on a couple airlines, I have learned to smuggle food/drinks through security, and even scored a ride in first class!

6 more nights in Kona... then 6 nights not in Kona... then home in time for the big dance! Things are looking more and more like race day everyday in Kona! The pros have flown in, swam in, and boated in... you can tell who they are by how toned and fierce they all look...

Finally, I have gotten a bunch more emails on "who, what, where, when, why Kona". Lucky for me my friend Jen said she doesn't mind helping answer questions, so ask away, shoot me an email, and I will answer the rest of the questions on another "Kona update post".

Happy Miles!



14 Comments:

Blogger Muppetdog said...

Good luck at Longhorn! From what I hear about the heat and conditions there, it should be great for you! Can't wait to hear all your Kona updates as well, for those of us who just have to listen and cyberstalk the activities from the mainland :)

September 24, 2008 at 2:30 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

Bree-Thank you for your comment on my blog and ideas for meals!! I wrote your ideas down and I'll hit the grocery store with Nick tomorrow. (can't go alone anymore...way too sad with little guy gone)
On that note...I 'get' how hard yoru nights away must be. I have a terrible time with it and I hardly ever travel. Your boys at home are so proud of you and the hugs when you return must make it all so so sweet.
Have a super fun awesome fast race at Longhorn. I'll be cheering you on from Maine like usual.

September 24, 2008 at 3:13 PM

 
Blogger D said...

Unless you don't want to unleash the secrets, tell me about smuggling the food/drink. My trip to Kona needs a little love on the flight and I don't want it to be airplane food!

I can't wait to see you on your home turf. Gonna be awesome!! This time in two weeks, I'll be there :D

September 24, 2008 at 3:41 PM

 
Blogger rr said...

oh my gosh.. you have traveled so much this year!! This is the last one, right? Have so much fun in Texas.. yee-haw!

September 24, 2008 at 4:15 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I cannot imagine there not being any more out-of-state trips after Longhorn. Anyway you will appreciate the added rest from not traveling. Maybe not the time to think about certain forms of control. Kainoa is getting bigger now and needs some good buddies.

September 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

You HAVE had such a great year Bree and one more great one to go!! I always think about you pros and wonder how you do so much travel, a lot of it by yourself to different countries with different languages and different foods. Tough! But I bet each year gets just a little easier... And the best news is, the biggest race of all is right at your doorstep! :) Have a great day Bree!

PS My pedals always trip me up too... Why is it that I can NEVER remember which was to turn?

September 24, 2008 at 11:01 PM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

Yes, but how do you keep track of all the adjustments when you UNpack the bike? Mine is virtually covered in tape and silver ink, and it STILL takes me forever to get the aerobar and seat angle right! But then again, I'm sure you have people tripping over themselves to do stuff for you. Ah, the life of a pro!

September 25, 2008 at 1:24 AM

 
Blogger Meredith said...

BW, have a great time...Its kinda cool cause the pressure is slightly lessened with it not being Kona, I would imagine...find yourself some Shiner Bock post race and celebrate a great entry season into the pro ranks!! You rock!!!!

September 25, 2008 at 2:51 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Enjoy this week at home-
Have a blast in Texas... this is the path God has chosen for you and you are blessed! (& you bless others!) We all love you and OF COURSE we're cheering for you- ALWAYS!

September 25, 2008 at 3:05 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

You are lucky you have such a supportive husband and lots of motivating people in your life. Keep up the positive attitude :)
-marn

September 25, 2008 at 4:04 AM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

That trip will be over in no time and you'll be back home with your family. Living in Hawaii is harder than most people think because of distances we have to travel to do somethings, but it's worth it in the end.

Can you recommend a good pedicure in Kona? I have all my toe nails now and want them to look pretty for the big day :-)

September 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM

 
Blogger TriGirl Kate O said...

One last trip, and then you're home for a good long time. I will miss your celebrity/pro spotting posts, but I am really looking forward to your and Kerrie's Kona cheering stories! Go kick some Texas butt!

September 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM

 
Blogger Liam O'Connell said...

hey
i did longhorn last year, it shouldnt be as hot, and you should have a great race coming from hawaii. ill be spectating but ill see you there.
Liam

September 26, 2008 at 3:40 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Cunnane said...

I am really excited for your Texas race! I do not know how you managed that - 75 nights - that is really tough but considering all you had to balance I think you did a fantastic job! Keep inspiring us with your posts! Jen C

September 27, 2008 at 4:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home