Aloha!

Sunday, September 21, 2008

More Fun Than A Bunch Of Mango's...

The calm before the storm, Pre Ironman Mango Triathlon...

One of the things I really adore about our little town is that it sticks to its roots... despite all the growth and change on the island (and in triathlon) Kona "keeps its cool"...the people and lifestyle here just never seem to forget where they came from.

And Team Mango is along for the ride! Nearly every month Team Mango puts on a triathlon that brings together the local Kona triathletes (visitors are ALWAYS welcome) and we "tri" like it was 1978! Yep, 1978 was the first time a triathlon was held in Hawaii, on Oahu. You all know that story, the big challenge (swim the Waikiki Rough Water Swim, then do the ride around Oahu (now called Dick Evans), then the Honolulu Marathon), and Ironman was born! That little race of 12 finishers soon GREW and Ironman moved to the Big Island. Back then no time clocks were involved, they only needed 10 volunteers, you could ride with your friends, the challenge was to finish. I am sure there were bragging rights involved...


Team Mango totally has that 1978 triathlon feel. There is no HUGE finish line banner, no massive time clock that you get your finisher photo underneath, the race director and a couple of his pals are the only volunteers, and the time clock is a stop watch. Results are hand written on a a legal pad before being sent to the news paper... it is very old school...

Bike racks, race numbers, timing chips... not involved. We line our bikes up on the sea wall (the official start/finish of the Ironman Championship), just like back in 1979 when Ironman hit Kona, we carry our own nutrition, and the spectators think we are crazy (that may never change). It seems so simple, relaxed, and laid back. Sometimes there are a lot of us, other times there are only about 12 of us... just like back in the day...

Talking smack... have to make sure to do that with Cody! His coach wouldn't let him race today so my goal was to beat his time from last year... he has the course record. TOO bad Pablo stole it today!! Next time Cody... it's ALL you!

One thing remains the same, those of us that race it all talk a little smack (we have a few good local rivaling duals at these things), and those pre race butterflies still fly in the stomach waiting for the start of the swim, and of course beating our old times is always fun.

The race started like this, "Okay gang, you all know the course, we will start in 5 seconds, 5...4...3...2...1...go!" and we were off! I was still trying to hug Kainoa good bye! The swim was slightly choppy but super clear! 28 minutes later I was outta the water with Karen and Pablo hot on my heals...

The bike climbs Hualalai 3x so of course the road bike got to play... Notice, NO UGLY aero helmet, race wheels left at home, NO bike computer telling me cadence and speed, and of course the HR monitor strap was "lost", it was "play time"!

By the second loop Pablo was long gone and I was just having a blast being able to race! Yesterday was a hard ride and half marathon so it was PERFECT for me to race and ride with a bit of pain practice. I also needed to go-back to my old nutrition plan, practiced that too...


Off the bike I hear Pablo was 2:30 ahead and I KNEW he could run, he always comes to Kona for a little pre Ironman training and I am always BEHIND him... The run was up a hill then down a hill, then along Ali'i drive as if you are finishing Ironman. No joke, up the hill hurt, down the hill hurt worse, and the flat was "whatever is left in the tank". I managed to hold my sub 6:30 pace for the 6 something miles which was the goal, but my HR I can't tell you because I boycotted the HR strap (but I wore the cool orange watch)...

Post race with Pablo (over all winner from Switzerland here for Ironman), and New Zealand's Lucy, she is going for the 35-39 age group win this year! Go Lucy!

The day is best described as doing what you LOVE with the people you LOVE... it is just a blast to be out there racing with your training partners, because it is like a training day, but trying to finish the workout before them... Thanks to everyone for the fun "training day"!!

And the hi-light of the day, Kainoa caught his FIRST ever wave all by himself! It was little, but he did it! Watch out Kelly Slater...




22 Comments:

Blogger The Young Family said...

Love the report, LOVE even more that Kainoa caught his first wave! Way cool.

Congrats to both of you!!

Em

September 21, 2008 at 1:38 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Kona sounds like such a great little community. I hope one day to visit Bree!! And great job in your race!! Way to work it and run those sub 6:30s even after your tough training the day before!!

September 21, 2008 at 2:12 PM

 
Blogger rr said...

Sounds like so much fun Bree!! Glad you had a blast and got to run without the strap, on your old nutrition plan that does you well..

And HUGE congrats to Kainoa!!!! ;)

September 21, 2008 at 2:41 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Fun!! Sounds like a great day. Love the picture of your little surfer boy.

September 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

Sounds like an awesome day - and it's so important to keep the fun in triathlon! Glad to hear training is going so great!

September 21, 2008 at 4:01 PM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

You and that HR monitor!!!!!....

Sounds like fun!

September 21, 2008 at 4:06 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Gecko is truly my triathlon hero and I would much rather do his races than the official organized ones. Well, it was a great fun time for you. From the selection of pictures, maybe you were showered and home by the time Harry and the other normal folks finished. 28 for the swim. Well, I think I would at least have beaten my previous swim times for those races by a "little bit", though by how much is unclear. I really must work really hard at swimming to have a chance of keeping some of those classy athletes in my sights. I also need to go and do one of those races again.

September 21, 2008 at 5:20 PM

 
Blogger JTG said...

It sounds like fun. I really miss the low key races. The remind me of how much fun racing can be.
PS - great blog

September 21, 2008 at 5:25 PM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

I secretly stopped checking my HR on the last two. haha. P sent me a good job email though. I'm excited to use my afternoon to plant some flowers in my two flower pots tomorrow. Maybe it'll stop my neighbor's friends from leaving trash in it. grrrr...I hate it here.

...and my tempo trainer. I hope it turns back on next time I need it.

...and your local races sound like a blast!!!

September 21, 2008 at 5:26 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

Training wheels? Come on, I never had training wheels on my bike as a kid (maybe that's my problem).

Great race report. Looks like so much fun! Kainoa's a natural too!

September 21, 2008 at 8:32 PM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

6:30? That's all you got?

September 21, 2008 at 8:50 PM

 
Blogger Frayed Laces said...

Awesome pics of the race! And I ran the full marathon, not the half (the competitor in me needs to point that out!)
I met another big athlete from Kona at Maui (and previously at Volcano Marathon)...Mike Brown. DO you train with him?

September 21, 2008 at 8:50 PM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Bree
That sounds like the perfect stress free, fun low key race! Love it. You look awesome per usual. Still going to Tx to race???
Oh My God.. Kainoa has surfing blood in him for sure. I can just see it.... 4 year old surfer in Hawaii wins his first competition.
Another Tiger Woods surfing style???

September 22, 2008 at 2:26 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

That race sounds like fun...Little K will be your little surfer Pro:)

September 22, 2008 at 2:45 AM

 
Blogger Mer! said...

Hi Bree! Thx so much for your words of encouragement on my blog..I was trying to find my "bree wee" legs, but they only let me run a 22-23 for my 5k...i'll find them someday!

It looks like you're mixing in some laid-backness with your fierce training schedule, nice to come back to relaxing roots....love the pictures..

The best one though was the last one....I want to pinch his little cheeks...he is SO precious!!

September 22, 2008 at 8:31 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Way to go Kainoa! Oh, and you too Bree :)

September 22, 2008 at 9:11 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

How FUN!!! I've heard of the Team Mango races but have never done one yet. Looks like I'll be in town for the one in December -- Oh My!

Maybe little K can teach me to surf ;-)

September 22, 2008 at 11:34 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Kainoa is sooo cute! Next time I see him he'll have to show us how to do it. Remember Paul trying to paddle out? Ha! Ha! I can't talk though. Is the Mango race the same people that do the Pee Man?
Anyway- Love You and Miss You!

September 23, 2008 at 2:50 AM

 
Blogger beth said...

team mango sounds AWESOME!!!!! great job kicking local arse!

hang ten, kainoa!

September 23, 2008 at 2:53 AM

 
Blogger Mama Simmons said...

I showed the picture of Kainoa to my husband (who is ready to teach our kid to surf while s/he is still in my womb) and he was drooling... :)
Looks like a fun weekend!

September 23, 2008 at 8:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bree!!! I love your web site!!! It's just great, continue like that!!!
Un beso grande,
Pablo Ureta

September 23, 2008 at 4:12 PM

 
Blogger Andreya said...

Hi Nice Blog web time clock is your no1 Punch Clock and/or Time Clock Software solution for replacing that old decrepit time clock.Once setup our Time Clock Software or Web Based Time Clock will help you manage all your employees without wasting time with old paper time cards.Each pay period our Time Clock Software will save you countless hours of your precious time by generating automated payroll reports for your employees. Simply print the reports and write the checks and your done.

October 22, 2008 at 11:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home