Aloha!

Friday, September 12, 2008

Na Wahine...

http://www.tryfitnesshawaii.com/new2/images/swim_2005.JPG

Twenty nine tri's ago was my first tri... and this weekend is my anniversary! It is so hard to believe this Sunday will be my 30th triathlon! Feels like just yesterday I was thinking to myself, "How many triathlons do you have to finish before you can call yourself a "triathlete"?"

Yep, Na Wahine, the fast and furious sprint triathlon on the island of Oahu! It has to be one of the most beautiful courses. A Waikiki swim, a ride around Diamond Head, and a run around Kapiolani Park...

Here's how it started...

About 4 months after joining Kona Aquatics, 8 months after buying the Asics, and 2 months of having a bike I decided to hop on a flight with my "cool surfer boyfriend", now my hubby, & try a triathlon. I had NO clue what to do or how to do it. All I knew is that if you "bonk" it's bad. I learned all I needed to know from all the local Ironman friends I had in Kona. They also taught me about using a swim suit- not my string bikini's I surfed in, they taught me about clip in pedals, bento boxes, helmets, sun glasses (which I STILL forget and painfully rode 112 miles without them in Louisville), gels, vasoline, and not to use socks in short races.

BUT I had no idea about drafting, pacing, and training...

I knew I was ready because I swam, biked, and ran EVERYday (yep, all 3 sports everyday) for a month! I also made sure to do a few really hard sessions on Friday and Saturday before the race (what was a taper?, don't ask me!)

I set up my transition (looked like I was preparing a picnic). Then I found Jen Naughty (Kona's ULTIMATE female triathlete and super swimmer). Jen!!! "What do I do, I am so scared". And the gun goes off! I swam stroke for stroke next to Jen. I have never been more scared in my life. I did not have a clue to draft her and just stay on her feet, so every time she pulled I pulled water, when she reached for water I did, I was stealing her breath when she went to breathe, and I was dying a slow death! The pace was too fast but I was too scared to slow down and swim without her!

Out of the water I ran to the transition area, "Where's my bike?" I had no idea where I left it. I finally found my picnic area and started to ride. But I was so tired from that swim I decided to pedal faster (smart move). Now this is the ridiculous part, for the 12 mile ride, I had a bento box FILLED, couldn't even close it, an aero bottle, bottle cages filled, and seat cages filled. It was probably more calories than I would ever use in a 112 mile ride. I found Jen, tried to talk (who knew we weren't allowed talk and ride with a friend), she went on, I decided I better go get her, found her, went ahead, she shouted something encouraging yet "be smart". I think that meant I should eat. So I chowed a power bar, as pack of sharkies, and a bottle or 2 of something. Now I know she meant, "pace".

Off the bike and out of transition, with my race belt as a shoe lace, I was running! I got passed and figured it meant I was going to slow, so I ran as hard as I could till I passed this gal back. DUMB move. All that fuel was killing me! But I didn't want to walk, my cool surfer boyfriend would think I am a wimp. SO I kept running and promising myself I would never do another triatlon, I would stick with surfing, I just have to finish the 3 miles. It took a long 24 minutes and a lot of cussing at myself that I would never do it again.

At awards they never called me in my age group, "oh well" I figured I was going back to surfing anyways... Then they called the top 3 overall... and I was number 3! YES!!!! I told Jim I wanted to be a "triathlete"! Forget surfing... I have to do this! So 7 months later I entered triathlon #2... and Sunday will be triathlon # 30... the same race I did as my first one...

I talked Jim into coming back with me and we will bring Kainoa. I will only carry one gel and only water. I will draft the swim and pace the bike, on the run I will pray my marathon-dead legs don't give me another 24 minute run, and I will have fun!



37 Comments:

Blogger Mama Simmons said...

Triathlon was really a lot of fun when you wondered whether or not you could finish a sprint distance! I totally remember those days. Have a fun weekend here on Oahu! :)

September 12, 2008 at 9:40 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Happy anniversary? Isn't 30th the anniversary gift of carbon...or maybe spandex?? :)
-marni
*good luck!

September 12, 2008 at 9:47 AM

 
Blogger Wes said...

I loved that trip down memory lane! Safe travels and have a great race!!

September 12, 2008 at 10:31 AM

 
Blogger Tri*22 said...

Thanks for the great post :) I can soooo visualize that picnic area. I have been there too hehe!

Best of luck this weekend!

September 12, 2008 at 10:33 AM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

Don't forget your disc wheel!!LOL!

September 12, 2008 at 10:40 AM

 
Blogger Benson said...

Have a kick butt time and smile alot.

September 12, 2008 at 10:49 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Have fun this weekend. Don't forget your um.. sperm helmet. I hear those things have rockets in them that just buzz you around. Very cool. Have a great race!

September 12, 2008 at 11:14 AM

 
Blogger IronMatron said...

Happy Anniversary!
Boy, you got really good, really fast!

September 12, 2008 at 11:29 AM

 
Blogger Flatman said...

Rock it, Bree!!! :)

September 12, 2008 at 11:58 AM

 
Blogger TATI said...

that's too cool :)

September 12, 2008 at 12:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 12, 2008 at 1:01 PM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

Congratulations on big #30! I hope you have a blast going back and seeing just how far you've come! Can't wait to hear the story of attempt #2! :)

September 12, 2008 at 1:40 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Hey Bree! Have a BLAST at your race! You'll do great and I'll be cheering for you from FL :) Keep up the great work - you are such an inspiration. Fun recap - it's fun to go back to our roots, right?

September 12, 2008 at 2:14 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 12, 2008 at 2:42 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

I love this post. It's good to look back at how far you've come. Have a great race!

September 12, 2008 at 2:56 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

GO BREE...have fun and I know you will race with all smiles...How fun to re-race your first race....get your little picnic ready and vroooooommmmm...It is going to be crazy scary to see how much you have improved since then and you still managed to pull of 3rd place!!!

September 12, 2008 at 3:14 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Keep smiling, Bree!! And have the time of your life!! Can't wait to hear about it!

September 12, 2008 at 3:28 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

who do you plan on drafting on the swim? We're all going to be behind you :-) Hope you can sight really well! Good luck on Sunday!

September 12, 2008 at 5:10 PM

 
Blogger rr said...

Maggs is right - swim a straight line!!! Not that any of us will be able to hang on.

Oops. What I mean to say was:

Look out, Number One is coming after you!!

I may be slower, but my trash talking is way better than yours.

September 12, 2008 at 5:13 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

What a great first time story!! The first time is always the best... :) Good luck this weekend and have a great time!! I'm sure those legs remember speed no problem! :)

September 12, 2008 at 5:53 PM

 
Blogger TRI-ROB said...

"i will have fun"... THAT is EXACTLY what you need to do. Let go... and the rest will follow.

Breathe...

September 12, 2008 at 9:20 PM

 
Anonymous Jennifer Nottage said...

Wee.....I am sorry not to be there...because I remember that side by side swim as if it were yesterday.....HILARIOUS....since I was so experienced and was fully executing my 2nd triathlon!! Whip it out and smile the whole way. That was 5 whole years ago. So much has happened and the main thread has been, for both of us, training and racing.....building character, husbands, baby's and friendships. Good Stuff!! Have fun.

September 13, 2008 at 4:56 AM

 
Blogger UntPawGal02 said...

Hope the big 30 triathlon is a great one :)

September 13, 2008 at 5:28 AM

 
Blogger alison said...

Have fun!! My sis is doing her first triathlon tomorrow..looks like a fun one!

September 13, 2008 at 7:24 AM

 
Blogger GoBigGreen said...

Race your race and enjoy yourself. "you've come a long way baby!" Wasnt that the ad campaign for the Virginia Slims cigarettes? oops!!:))
Funny how impressionable a young gal is when back "then" VS sponsored the womens ATP tennis tourneys. no more.

Anyways...go girl!
Julia

September 13, 2008 at 7:42 AM

 
Blogger Danielle said...

What an awesome beginning for you! It was totally meant to be if you placed in the top three OA at your first race! Have fun tomorrow!

September 13, 2008 at 8:52 AM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

I love trash talk!!

September 13, 2008 at 12:24 PM

 
Anonymous Todd Crandell said...

Bree,

I want to know if you are interested in being a part of my crew for Ultraman? We are filming a documentary there as wel. Email me at racing4recovery@aol.com if you are interested ok?

September 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM

 
Blogger D said...

Kick some ass tomorrow! Make sure you take Rach out at the knees... I also hear that punching people in their wounds works great.

Have a fantastical anniversary and break some records!

(oh, and don't tell Rach I was cheering against her)

September 13, 2008 at 6:06 PM

 
Blogger Jessi said...

Good luck tomorrow!

September 13, 2008 at 6:35 PM

 
Blogger Darin Hunter said...

Hey Bree, I felt your pain in IM Louisville it was an incredibly tough day out there and I didn't come close to performing my best either. However I've had an amazing season (as you have too) and I know you're destined for great things in IM, keep at it.

Cheers, Darin

September 13, 2008 at 6:41 PM

 
Blogger rebecca said...

The Pasture

I'm going out to clean the pasture spring;

I'll only stop to rake the leaves away

(And wait to watch the water clear, I may);

I Shan't be gone long.--- You come too.

 

I'm going out to fetch the little calf

That's standing by the mother. It's so young

It totters when she licks it with her tongue.

I shan't be gone long.--- You come too.

----------by runescape money
 

September 13, 2008 at 7:24 PM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Good luck on #30!!

And I always tell everyone this: you're not a triathlete until you pee yourself during a race.

;)

September 14, 2008 at 2:46 AM

 
Blogger The Young Family said...

Thank you for the memories, it is always nice to hear about the beginning races!

Em

September 14, 2008 at 9:41 AM

 
Blogger D said...

You've been done for hours... where's your RR!
Looks like a big first place to me (and a course record too, if I'm not mistaken)!!!!! YAY!

September 14, 2008 at 1:27 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Bree Wee #214 25 - 29 1 :08:07 :0:43 :18:11 0:57:01.
Well done, although not unexpected. I look forward to reading the report. Also well done to Rachel and also Millie (someone I used to like to race against). I got the results from JTL Timing.

September 14, 2008 at 1:53 PM

 
Blogger TriGirl Kate O said...

I totally agree with Marni: a 30th anniversary calls for some serious bling in the carbon or spandex department! Congratulations.

September 14, 2008 at 3:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home