Aloha!

Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Need For Fun At Na Wahine...


Outta the swim...

Sky (Rach's girl) & Kainoa...

I gave myself my own race plan, "Have fun". That was the plan, coach went along with it but warned my legs might feel heavy and to not get mad (he knows if the legs felt crappy I would call him in a frantic panic, "coach what's wrong with me?". )

Have fun! Have fun! Have fun! I must have said it over and over. Na Wahine was time for me to remember why I LOVE triathlon, all the reasons I do it, and nothing else. This season has been particularly filled with pressure. So much pressure, TOO much pressure. Being a first year pro it has felt like I needed good results so I could keep my sponsors. I had pressure to perform for many of them so I wouldn't get dropped next season. I felt the pressure to do well so I could get more sponsors, like some apparel so I don't have to keep biking in my t-shirts! I felt pressure from the hubby to do well so I don't have to go back to teaching. I had the pressure I put on myself, because I wanted to show my community, coach, and friends that I appreciate their help.

As athlete #214, (not even on the Elite rack) that took away pressure INSTANTLY! But Rachel is TOO nice and moved her bike and made room for me on the Elite rack. I borrowed a co2 (just in case), laid out my lucky monkey transition towel, had the smelly old training helmet (I banned the aero helmet and disc"unfun") then set out to have fun...of course dressed as Rachel's twin in a Rainbow Brite Splish suit.

The swim, I went out too fast just the way I like, looked at the few coral heads Waikiki has (the ocean bottom here is naked compared to Kona), breathed only on one side (right into the waves everytime) and LOVED it! In transition I wore sun glasses! Pat was there teasing me because I never wore them in IM Japan or IM Kentucky, yet I was wearing them in a short race... I wanted to practice using them, thought it would be fun...

On the bike I waved, smiled, and laughed. My legs screamed and I told them to "shut up". The motor cycle man was jamming & I jammed along with him... nice tunes dude! On the second loop I cheered for all the women on their first lap... it was GREAT to see so many Kona friends! I passed Dawn and Ritchie from Kona and just wanted to ride with them and chatter, but I kept racing...

Off the bike, racing flats on! I was INSTANTLY loving the run... going from the long distance run shoes to little racing flats never felt so cool! I threw my water cup at Pat and a few high fives to some little kids. Yep, the legs screamed, I said "be quiet" but I was having fun and that was the goal... Nearing the finish line I saw Kainoa hanging out with Jim, I also saw the time clock rolling and knew there was a course record within reach... at that second I looked at Kainoa-looked at the clock, then grabbed Kainoa over the gate and put him on the ground... within that brief moment the "fun" of triathlon came swarming back to me. The "pressure" of a first year pro faded. Hand in hand Kainoa and I ran through the finish chute and I had that same joy I experienced when I crossed that finish line for the first time a few years ago, in that very same race.

At awards I watched as the "1st timer" girls raised their hands and I thought how exciting their lives were about to become. Rachel and I were even asked for a photo with a woman who looked up to us and just finished one of her first triathlons. It was so exciting and I was happy to have rekindled that joy and passion that was starting to stumble into pressure. And that course record, Kainoa and I did get it with our 18:11 run...









37 Comments:

Blogger rr said...

That course record was for a longer course too! Last year the swim was way shorter!! CONGRATS! It was so fun to see you, and to race a short little local race. I wish I could have seen you run across with Kainoa.. but I was out cagging somewhere on the other side of Kap Park still...

September 14, 2008 at 7:16 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

so glad that you had fun and your legs cooperated! did kainoa have his hooters shirt on this time???? :)

September 14, 2008 at 8:13 PM

 
Blogger D said...

You're so cute I can't even stand it! Great day lady.

NEVER stop wearing t-shirts. You're the only excuse I have for wearing mine on my rides. Seriously... I was going to wear one at IMC, but I got funny looks every time I said I was going to (I am definitely too fat to just be Splishing it lol). All I'm saying is, "If it's good enough for Bree, it's good enough for me". T-shirts for life!

September 14, 2008 at 8:45 PM

 
Blogger Randy said...

Glad you had a great time Bree. That's what it's all about.

September 14, 2008 at 9:03 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

Congrats on the course record. Looks like it was a fun morning around Kapiolani Park. Don't racing flats make a huge difference (or at least feel like they do!)?

September 14, 2008 at 9:10 PM

 
Blogger Train-This said...

way to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2008 at 10:00 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Bree! Glad you had fun! I have a smile on my face reading about your experience. Congrats!

September 14, 2008 at 10:43 PM

 
Blogger Jessi said...

Congratulations!!

September 15, 2008 at 1:48 AM

 
Blogger Amy Beth Kloner said...

sounds like a blast! Congratulatiosn on a successful day!

September 15, 2008 at 2:07 AM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Yay for having fun!! Glad to hear you did.

September 15, 2008 at 2:08 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

sweet!!!!! :)))))

September 15, 2008 at 2:31 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

I am so gald you had a blast!! I think the phrase "rekindled that joy" says it all!!!

September 15, 2008 at 3:17 AM

 
Blogger Bruce said...

I hope you don't continue to feel the pressure of sponsors, etc. It's a pity you are not British. If you were we could appoint you as a triathlon ambassador for the next four years, all expenses paid and free flights on Virgin Atlantic, etc., etc. I really think it would happen. Good race and well done.

September 15, 2008 at 3:25 AM

 
Blogger Flatman said...

Man...it was fun just reading this! So glad you had a good, fun race. Finishing with K. is the best. Wish you had a pic of that!

Congrats on a wonderful year. :)

September 15, 2008 at 3:41 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

So glad you got the joy back! I want to see a picture!!!
We love you and miss you all-
Cricket

September 15, 2008 at 3:59 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Sounds like a hugely successful day on all accounts!! Congrats Bree! Gotta keep that trademark smile! :)

September 15, 2008 at 4:01 AM

 
Blogger triclancy said...

Love your report...so honest and "real"!! Great job and I can only imagine how excited the rest of the racers were to actually be doing the same race as Bree Wee!!! You are a huge inspiration, and it's only fitting that, as a Mommy, Kainoa got to finish with you! I'm with Kerri, did he have on the Hooters shirt again? :-)

September 15, 2008 at 4:43 AM

 
Blogger Sue said...

One of the reasons I read your blog...positive, kind, funny, inspiration, and well just because you are so real....you make me think that I am OK with my daily long fast walks...since I only have fast kiddos that run...

September 15, 2008 at 5:13 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Just what the doctor ordered! A big dose of fun fun fun! So glad you enjoyed it and had a great race too Bree!! I love it! Way to go and hope the fun is continuing right into today.

September 15, 2008 at 6:19 AM

 
Blogger Ashley said...

Way to shut those legs up AND have fun. YIPPEE

September 15, 2008 at 7:09 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Hey Bree,

I have my own "just for fun/end of season race" at the end of the month.

I'm hoping I have half as much fun as you did! Gotta love reconnecting with why we do this ridiculous sport in the first place. :-)

September 15, 2008 at 7:18 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Hooray! Way to go back to you "roots" - keep up the GREAT work! Have fun and do the sport because you LOVE it! It is so obvious that you do! Stellar run by you and Kainoa... :)

September 15, 2008 at 8:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to Go!!!! Fun doing what you love! Sounds like a great day !!!
LOve ya, Mom and Rodger

September 15, 2008 at 8:07 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Hi 5 to you Bree!!!

Way to go,,, so much for drafting in the swim!! 1st out of the water, fastest bike, fastest run and a course record!!!! All of that after putting your body through Ironman events in the last month. Best of all you had fun, that is what it is all about :)

September 15, 2008 at 8:16 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

Way to go Bree! Now THAT'S how you're supposed to have fun at a race!!!! :)

That post put a smile on my face!!

September 15, 2008 at 10:22 AM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

Congrats Bree! I always tell myself that having fun is important! I do my best when I'm having fun at the same time.

September 15, 2008 at 12:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bree! WAY to win, set the course record, AND run fast and FUN! Glad you had your fun mojo for this race! :) FUN!!! (and congrats!) Jen H. :)

September 15, 2008 at 1:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you know how to get the tears to well up. I read this and felt so happy for you and then to know you knew exactly what to choose--to pick that little guy up and let him run with his mamma. The last line was like icing on the cake. You still got the record...but this record is one that you will remember b.c you experienced it with your greatest pride and joy! What a cutie he is. Glad you guys all got to go and have some fun!!! Great job having fun!!! Courtney

September 15, 2008 at 1:47 PM

 
Blogger Jacqui said...

Hey Bree
I went and watched friends race a local race this weekend and wanted to jump in so badly...I am proud of you for having fun and sharing your experience with your son too...these are precious moments!

September 15, 2008 at 2:27 PM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

the J-Lo booty photo that everyone laughed at while at dinner during training camp? yup. she saw it. I posted it on the blog right after the half in July. haha.

September 15, 2008 at 3:13 PM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

ahhhhhh....you still sweating? LOL!!

September 15, 2008 at 3:57 PM

 
Blogger Girl on Top said...

Great job!

September 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM

 
Blogger jesslover said...

this is such a great report! congrats on the course record.

there's nothing like having a local race that you do just for fun. i have one of those that I did yesterday as well. I went out to have fun and ended up having a great day.

September 15, 2008 at 5:00 PM

 
Blogger beth said...

awesome job, bree! glad you had fun...you look GREAT out there!

September 15, 2008 at 5:26 PM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Terrific to hear that you had fun. I know you've been feeling under the gun and taking it hard. Great to hear you break free of that.

And a course record too? Wow, just WOW!

September 15, 2008 at 8:01 PM

 
Blogger Crash said...

Nice work Bree.

September 16, 2008 at 8:43 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

DANG woman you are soooooo speedy...I tried to be you the other day...that will be in a later post:) glad you had so much FUN!!!

September 16, 2008 at 10:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home