Aloha!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

While In Kona...

Just thought I would "Spread some Aloha"... here are some favorites in case you are heading to Kona...


  • Need a massage: Call Dawn Henry at Healing Islands Massage... she is GOOD! (808)756-1996 & for some ART give Nancy a jingle at (808)329-7900
  • Need a bike mechanic or a little "somethin' somethin' " for your bike: Bike Works! The mechanics are a blast and know their stuff and Keith, Linda & Vern can pretty much save the day if you lose your swim suit, break your goggle strap, need a bike pump, can't find your shoes, or have an urgency for a babysitter (I pawn Kainoa off on them). (808)326-2453
  • Long flight? A little tight? STRETCH it out... Hot Yoga Kona is the place! located in The Club lot... or call for a personal class! They have all types from gentle to restorative to HOT! (808)960-0747
  • Best Sushi: You Make The Roll! (for casual, yummy & fresh)

  • Coming with kids, need a beach not covered in rocks? Keiki Ponds is the spot. It is super protected from the surf and is a sandy bottom, totally safe and shallow for the keiki... it is located behind the Kona swimming pool. Just walk through the soccer fields, respect the homes, and cross the tiny road, and you are there! Easy access and super family oriented.
  • Searching for a gym: The Club In Kona... they have everything from working treadmills (unless the Kona girls are hogging them, we tend to do that), a pool, hot tub, sauna, Cafe Fit (a pretty tasty little cafe), to all sorts of classes. (808)334-1050
  • Need a group??? Don't even think about stealing my training partners, but you can borrow them! Kona Aquatics with the amazing coach Steve for a little swim practice with the locals or the Hawaii Cycling Club for a group ride. We have a few rides throughout the week, but our Saturday ride (7am) is the most popular. Lucky us, we have had Chris Leito, Macca, Luke M., Jo Zeiger, Tina Walter, Lisa Mensink, Natasha Badman, and Shonny Vanlandingham just to name a few that have joined us. Also, there is a Tuesday run group that meets at 6:15 Walua... it is super fun!
Chris Leito blending a smoothie with his speedy legs...

  • Taxi! Taxi! Call Aloha Taxi! Not only are they super reliable, friendly, fast, and fun... Cody is also an Ironman athlete! And ladies he will drive you crazy... he is hilarious and easy on the eyes... (808)329-7770
Cody and his little bro...

  • Groceries... in my opinion, Sack N' Save is the most affordable, Safeway is the cleanest with the biggest selection (even a pretty decent amount of organic stuff), and KTA has the most local variety with good sales (the KTA near Keauhou is better than the one in town-it's cleaner). Kona Natural Foods is pretty small but has everything from coconut water to raw nuts and seeds. And when the bananas and eggs run out(because they ALWAYS do the week of Ironman) go to..... SIKE! I will not tell or the locals would kill me! Just get your bananas early because you might not see any in town race week... and of course the local farmers markets have a great selection of fresh fruits and veggies.
  • Get your cookies! Seriously, needing a pick-me up without a pit-fall? Local gal, Annette Leopold makes the most yummy healthy cookies ever! Check her out here (2g2btcookies). Or you can pick them up at Bike Works (if they aren't sold out). And the Weezle Balls just email me if you need more of those (Rachel put your order in before you get here!)

  • The Hilton is another place to take the keiki! There is a protected lagoon for swimming, snorkeling, and beach games. They have a train and boat that goes around the Hilton property that can be fun for the little ones. There are plenty of restaurants around the area, and OF COURSE the dolphins are there! Seeing them in the wild are BEST but not too many children have the ability to swim out to sea... they are literally within hands reach at the Hilton.
  • Shopping: Big Islands only mall is in Hilo. BUT we have the Kings Shops and the Queens Shops both in Waikoloa. They have all sorts of local and mainland type stores and good eats.
  • What's that, you want to MOVE to Hawaii, here, contact these guys, they have a clue or two about selling/renting property... Prime Real Estate Hawaii

Happy Training!




26 Comments:

Blogger rr said...

You forgot that you can buy Weezles at Kukio - gotta try Bree's healthy energy balls - ha, that sounds funny. My kids love love love the beach at the end of Honokahau (Honokohau?) Harbor road.. though while we were there running last weekend there were some naked people.

Lieto had hair? ;)

September 17, 2008 at 10:32 AM

 
Blogger BreeWee said...

Oh Rach, they aren't at Kukio anymore, business partner and I went our own ways... yours are on the house anyway! Just let me know when you get in!

September 17, 2008 at 10:42 AM

 
Blogger D said...

Hah. Rach and I think the same... Lieo with hair? Confusing!
First, I want a taste of these Weezle Balls when I come over there.
Second, I want to swim with the dolphins on my birthday (13th). BEST. BIRTHDAY. EVER!

September 17, 2008 at 10:47 AM

 
Blogger D said...

Ummm... scratch that. $250 for 20 minutes of dolphin? I love dolphins, but that doesn't change how poor I am hah.

September 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

I want some weezle balls! I need something healthy that "feels" like I'm cheating! What a great post. Very helpful I'd say. And a great note about the grocery stores because I was amazed at how expensive it was! I guess most things are imported and therefore cost at least 2 x as much there as it does here. Hopefully, I'll be back soon and my kids can play with Kainoa at that awesome beach! :)

September 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM

 
Blogger themagicisback said...

Nice! Putting in a good word for me! The only thing is you need to change the number. 808-325-5448 (request for Cody) or 808-989-5232

Thanks
:)

September 17, 2008 at 11:54 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

no kona trip for me but your post makes me want to go!!! You are going to be the best spectator at the Kona IM and all of us bloggers are going to require you to keep us updated with lots of pics!!
-marn

September 17, 2008 at 12:34 PM

 
Blogger Shan said...

Hey Bree!

Is there any way for us to order the weezle balls if we're living on the mainland/CA?

I'd love to try them...let me know! slwerner@ucsd.edu

Cheers,
Shannon :)

September 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

nice! that is some good info....where is the sack'n save?

we are going to have to go to keiki ponds - we have never been thereand i'm sure that lucie would love it!

September 17, 2008 at 1:06 PM

 
Blogger Shawn and Tracy said...

Can my order of "Balls" be a sampler of flavors??? Just no peanuts or Soy for me OK. Thanks also for all the great local attraction and such. What I really want to do is go surfing with you!!!

Tracy

September 17, 2008 at 1:59 PM

 
Blogger TriGirl Kate O said...

Darn, now I want to come to Kona but that is SUCH a pipe dream! We have a running bet with our kids that if they read 100 books, they get to pick a place to visit. I keep telling my daughter (who is big into whales and dolphins) if she'd just write down all those books she's read already, she'd be half way to Hawaii!

September 17, 2008 at 2:23 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Hey Bree,
Hope you don't mind, but I stole your legs for my blog :)Ha!!! AND NO you can't have them back!!!

September 17, 2008 at 3:08 PM

 
Blogger MaryMaryMyers said...

Um, I'll trade you my p%#p ball recipe for your weezle ball recipe....and since you already have my recipe.....how about it?! They sound SO Yummy!!!! I promise I won't sell them to Whole Foods!

September 17, 2008 at 6:39 PM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

This is awesome!

Bree The Welcome Wagon Of Kona

September 18, 2008 at 3:31 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Thank you Bree! Great advice and comments on some of the great things in Kona! You are so sweet for posting this (especially about the sushi - I love it, had it last night for dinner). Really appreciate it and hope you are well!

September 18, 2008 at 4:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile but never posted. I just qualified for Kona '09 at IM Wisconsin - this is my first time and was wondering if you had any recommendations on how to do accommodation? And any other advice for a rookie?

Thanks,

Vanessa

September 18, 2008 at 6:48 AM

 
Blogger Paul said...

Hey Bree,

What I need is a baby sitter so that Suzie and I can hit a luau and possibly do some snorkeling. Any ideas?? thanks!! Feel free to email me direct.

Paul

September 18, 2008 at 6:50 AM

 
Blogger D said...

I just watched you on tv again (Vancouver Half). So cute at the end of the race that you didn't seem to know what to do with the finish line tape :)

September 18, 2008 at 1:56 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Bree,
This post makes me want to come to Kona, Hawaii even more. Looks like fun there! Thanks for stopping by my blog...I was excited to see you posted, you would have thought Lance Armstrong posted! You are my hero, Bree and I admire you so much! :)

September 18, 2008 at 2:04 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

It was good to see a picture of you and The Man himself. Hope you are enjoying Kona Aquatics. North Kaohsiung Aquatics is basically just me most of the time. Less pressure to put on a show and no nightmares, I guess. Please give him my best regards when you have the opportunity.

September 18, 2008 at 4:37 PM

 
Blogger Cy said...

Oh Bree-I've been waiting patiently for a post like this -THANKS!!

My sisters and i are planing to check out one of Brooke's classes.

I'd also like to place my order for Weezie balls. Will they fit in my Bento box!! You need to set up shop on Alli Drive. If you can keep production going, you'd make a fortune :-)

September 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM

 
Blogger beth said...

this makes me want to do this race some day so badly so i can come visit all your little spots!!! by the way, just saw the clif party post....SOOOOO cute! by the way- steal some of those new luna recovery smoothies and try it- they are delicious!

September 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

I'm going to print this list for my friends and family coming to watch the race. Thanks!

September 18, 2008 at 7:22 PM

 
Blogger BreeWee said...

vanessa, email me and I can help you with info if you need anything else :)

breesy4@yahoo.com

September 18, 2008 at 8:19 PM

 
Blogger puremadnessjen said...

I have been reading your blog for a long time now. Love reading about your training and racing! Thank you for posting about Kona. It helps to know who to go to for ART, etc. while there!

September 19, 2008 at 11:43 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

THis is GREAT, Bree! Now I know ALL the good places to go when I get to Kona - and believe me, I have GOT to get there in 09!

(If for nothing else than the Maui Channel Swim and spend some extra time on the Big Island!)

September 24, 2008 at 7:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home