Aloha!

Monday, October 20, 2008

Not sure what for...


Back at it. Again. And it felt so good. After 2 weeks of pretty much nothing I did stuff. Jumped back into swim practice... but am forced to do technique over keeping up (nothing like getting lapped!). Felt a lot like swimming through quick sand...

Took a nice swim with 12 friends to the Coast Guard buoy on Sunday. Then went out to sea solo. Nothing beats a little fear under water... the surf is up so the visibility is horrendous! I like to see the bottom, not just for the beauty but for the shark spotting-just in case...

Under me swam a black something. My HR had to of went over 200. In a panic I looked around for any other fool swimming solo to be attacked with me, found one and swam to him, stopped him, told him to go under water and look for a shark! He looked. I asked him to swim with me... then a school of dolphins, about 8 of them, swam over to us... I took that as a sign from above that all the "stuff" in my life on shore would work itself out...

Then at 3:30 I went for a 2 hr run. Guess I am training for something... maybe trying to better that 3:03 from Honolulu 26.2 last season. I decided a little run in the heat would be good for my muscles... they would already be warm and I enjoy running through a thick blanket of vog (not!). The run started mello and ended on sub marathon pace for the final 30 minutes. I claimed it, jumped in the pool (a nice 78*, called it my ice bath, then ate A LOT!) running in the heat makes me very hungry. After some fuel my brain began to work again and I came up with 3 logical ways to crack a 3hr 26.2 on that darn Honolulu course...

Plan A: Beg Pablo to run with me (he loves that course and can manage a 2:36, so just getting me under 3hrs should be cake for him.

Plan B: Ask coach Mark. He has run Honolulu like 20x and always gets under 3 no problem...

Plan C: Run with Rachel. She wants a sub 3 too... we might be VERY bad for each other though, I start out too fast and she talks too much. Last year I remember running by her about mile 3 or something and she talked my ear off then decided she liked my HR and ran at my HR rather than hers... so I would either force her to start to fast and we would both die at mile 20 or she would talk and I would talk back and we would end up at Starbucks having coffee and girl chat... OR we might just be good for each other and run a 2:54 or something crazy...

Plan D: Run with Cody. He has my same problem though, we start out too fast... that could be very ugly, but he is my best training partner and we have a way of keeping the other going when the wheels fall off...

If you have any other ideas let me know... and don't suggest following those people holding the pace signs. Last year the man holding 4hrs was 20 min. in front of me, I am sure he killed a few people and the 2:45 guy finished after me but I am pretty sure I didn't run a 2:44...



18 Comments:

Blogger D said...

You people and your marathons. When will you guys figure out that there's nothing worse than toeing a line just to know you have to run hard for 26.2 miles. At least in an Ironman you just run to get it done. :P
And, clearly, I have no answer for you lol.

October 20, 2008 at 7:13 AM

 
Blogger Flatman said...

I say run with rachel. I would rather see pics of you running with her than you and Pablo or Cody... ;)

You can def. get under 3...!

October 20, 2008 at 8:49 AM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

Who ever you run with, I'll be out in Hawaii Kai cheering and taking pictures of your armpits!

October 20, 2008 at 8:56 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

I'm sure you'll find some way to break 3 hours Bree - I know you can do it!! Glad to hear you are happy and training again! :)

October 20, 2008 at 9:34 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

I am going with Plan A. Pablo would be able to take it at an easier pace and still have air to keep you motivated and give you splits and keep you on a pace that is consistent without going out too fast in the beginning and ending out slowing down the last few miles.

BUT...has Pablo had any experience pacing someone?

Fall back plan, run with Rachel. If you both want a sub three, you have a shared goal and you will keep each other accountable.

October 20, 2008 at 11:11 AM

 
Blogger LeAnn said...

Pick D! Cody seems like a winner!

October 20, 2008 at 11:20 AM

 
Blogger rr said...

Ha ha - I'm in for the sub-3.. but my fastest on that course is 3:12 so it's a leap!

You know, my house is at mile 17.. so if we decide we need snacks, or to update our blogs or something, there's always that option.

I say we both try to keep up with Cody.. I met him at Huggos and he's a doll~

October 20, 2008 at 11:27 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

I say do whatever it takes to get you to sub 3!!!

October 20, 2008 at 12:26 PM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Wee, got it! Belle will run with you ;-) WEll, she starts out too FAST too, so maybe that wouldnt be the best idea, HA!

Luv ya,
E

October 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Yea, Bree! Whatever you choose, I am sure you will make it! I am glad the training felt good and I hope you are having a fabulous "summer" filled with great memories and laughs!
Good luck with the sub-3!!

October 21, 2008 at 12:36 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

You saw WHAT in the water?? Sheesh - I would be SO outa there. Glad you found anther "fool" swimming solo and made it back okay. :) As for the marathon - I have no idea. Rachel sounds like she would be great company, but would be easily distracted. But fun for 26.2 miles. Either way you go - you'll have good company!

October 21, 2008 at 7:13 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

You can run with my puppy Campy. He is a sub 6:30 for sure! But he stops a lot to pee :)
Glad you are back at it!
-marni

October 21, 2008 at 7:37 AM

 
Blogger AddictedToEndorphins said...

You swim with dolphins?! That's pretty amazing. I think I'd swim in open water if there were dolphins--but nothing else..just dolphins.
Good luck with your Sub-3 goal.

October 21, 2008 at 12:27 PM

 
Blogger Bruce said...

Are 15-foot tiger sharks black? That aside, I would go for Plan D. You and Cody are probably about the same speed. At least you can agree to work for each other the first 23 miles and then race each other over the last 5k. Its always nicer in my opinion training with someone of the opposite gender. Of course, you may not think like that. Don't worry about the time, but at least I think you know by now that the "bar" on the ladies' Ironman run has been raised to become a sub-3 one if you want to be in with a chance!

October 21, 2008 at 4:32 PM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

Man, I HATE it when the pacers are wrong!!!

I've got a Plan E that I think you should seriously consider: Push ME in a baby jogger (I'm not THAT heavy!). I could yell splits to you and encouraging things when you're flagging. You could break 3:00, and I'd wear a chip and get the Boston Qualification I'm too lazy to work for. Sound good? Hey, the Hoyts did a 2:40 once, so it MUST work!

By the way, thank you so much for your sweet comment. I was really surprised your read the whole thing, and I appreciate it.

October 22, 2008 at 2:05 AM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

Hey Bree, sponsor me and I'l come over and pace you. My credentials, 4 marathons: 2:45, 2:39, 2:42, 3:03

Actually, am looking for a winter marathon, if I can find a cheap ticket, I'll be on the start line at Honolulu and am thinking I'm just at the 2:59 pace shape right now.

October 22, 2008 at 7:10 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

All i get on my open water swims are snapping turtles, sea weed and leaves. You get a pod of dolphins?! No fair!

I've got no advice on training partners, but I'm sure you can pull off a sub 3:00 after everything you've been doing this year.

October 22, 2008 at 10:16 AM

 
Blogger beth said...

haha....glad to see you exploring the options! i can't wait to see you and RR get after it! looks like i should have come to hawaii to run my first marathon! just chase bree and rachel (a couple miles behind!)

pablo sounds great. i need a pablo!! i tried to get james to be my "pablo" but he thinks marathons are a stupid form of torture.

oh well. happy running!

October 22, 2008 at 4:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home