Aloha!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Oop's I Did It Again... and A Kona Update...


This time I wasn't trying to keep up with speedo people, it was a walk/run with a little black dog! Every single race week I get a little excited about the company and end up having a little too much fun...

Coach had on the plan a 20 minute walk/run before my ride. Seriously, 20 minutes with WALKING? That's like the workout you give to an injured athlete on the come-back from rehab. Or someone just learning to run. Or someone who is planning to walk/run aid stations. I didn't like it at all... I already had my BAD, VERY bad race of my life (IM Kentucky where I really did walk/run (more walk than run).

So I did what any girl who thought the workout was a little amusing... I grabbed Vicki's (my home stay's) dog. Me and Izzie (the dog) set out for the "20 minutes of walk/run". After a run with a bunch of left turns and then a walk with some right turns, and a run with some more left turns, we ended up walking... lost.

I was lost in Austin. Very lost. In fact I had no clue where I was and without the ocean I didn't even know what was East or West. Then I found Izzie and I walking in the middle of the streets of this tiny neighborhood. That was when I knew I was bonking... there was a side walk yet we were in the road. Dozens of men in big trucks passed us, honking, waving, smiling, some making that "smoooching" sound, but nobody stopped to help. In my panic I was wondering why they never asked to help! Supposedly we didn't look very lost. But we were lost. I thought about looking for a taco stand to remind me of where her house was, but that plan flew out the window with the dozens of them surrounding us. Then I remembered a sandwich shop we ate at near the highway (I think it's a highway). I had to make it to the highway...

You know how most race weeks you start to question your fitness? Did I do enough? Well, let's just say, by the time I made it home (with Vicki standing at the door way with a facial expression that said, "phewww, thought you were lost"), I am VERY sure I can manage 13.1 miles after getting lost!

Then I rode my bike. I got lost, but I had plenty of time to get lost and I enjoyed the ride SO much I was getting lost on purpose, just exploring the Austin college town and surrounding areas. And just as I was finishing my ride...POP... I flatted. Well, you know how sometimes you hope and pray you don't flat in a race, I am hoping that was getting my flat out of the way pre-race...

Looks like I will get to take a trip to the famous "Jack and Adam's" bike shop after all...


And in Kona News: (The Kona girl is reporting live from Austin this week)

Athletes coming to Kona with children (or if you live in Kona and have keiki) there is a children's event to kick off the Ironman Parade!

What: Keiki Dip N' Dash Biathlon (cost is only $5)
When: Tuesday October 7th, 4pm (race sign up starts at 3:30 pm)
Where: Kona Pier (official start line of Hawaii Ironman)
Distance:
• Short Course starts and finishes at Kona Pier:
Swim to the first buoy and back (approximately 50 yards)
Run from the Kona Pier to the banyan tree and back (approximately .25 mile)

• Long Course starts and finishes at Kona Pier
Swim to the third buoy and back (approximately 150 yards)
Run from the Kona Pier to Hale Halawai and back (approximately .9 mile)

Fun: YES! Totally a blast for the children! They get to swim and run and race on the REAL Hawaii IM course! There will be refreshments at the end too. Many of the local Kona triathletes will be there to help and support the youngsters. I will be there helping out and eager to chat with all the "future triathletes of our sport". It is VERY safe, we will have volunteers in the water, on the run, at the aid station all eager to make the event fun and safe!

And just a heads up, Kainoa already started his taper! He said LOOK OUT! He knows the course better than any kid on the planet... rumor has it Cam Browns children will be there too... I wonder if they are faster than daddy...

Hope to see you there (well, not you, your children!). If you have any questions at all feel free to send me an email or chat with the friendly folks at Bike Works!



26 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 2, 2008 at 12:10 PM

 
Blogger JC said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 2, 2008 at 12:13 PM

 
Blogger JC said...

Welcome to Austin! Hook'em horns!

Jack and Adam is a great bike shop. Very friendly and they put on some great local tri races.

October 2, 2008 at 12:20 PM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

Hmmmmmm Getting LOST? Sounds familiar!

Taco's at Kids race? I hope my next appearance on the pier goes much better than today! People really freak out when you try and kiss them! What the hell? Its called aloha spirit and don't bitch slap me again!LOL!!

Don't get LOST again or we'll have to send the smoke monster to find you!!!

October 2, 2008 at 12:38 PM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

The joy of running (or walking) in a new place is the chance to get lost and explore. The last time I was in Austin, I did the same thing. My 4 mile run turned into an 8 mile odyssey. However, I did not have the company of a good dog.

October 2, 2008 at 1:34 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Glad that you found your way back! Ha ha - I have zero sense of direction as well. That's how I ended up in Alabama once on a really long ride... :) You'll do GREAT at the race, I just know it. The kiddie biathlon sounds awesome - what an amazing community you have !

October 2, 2008 at 1:44 PM

 
Blogger rr said...

OK, now that the lost & the flat are out of your system, I expect neither from you on race day! If that lead motorcycle cop makes a wrong turn, no following him allowed!

Have so much fun Bree!

October 2, 2008 at 2:06 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

that is one cute doggy!!
good luck this weekend!
-marn

October 2, 2008 at 2:48 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

That was a great story...except the part about you getting lost!! Booo!

And that dog is SOOOOO CUTE!!

October 2, 2008 at 2:49 PM

 
Blogger Biff said...

I just read Izzie's blog. She was stoked about the whole adventure...

Have a big, fun, wrap-up to a great season this weekend.

October 2, 2008 at 4:13 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Now that kids race sounds perfect for me to race...very SHORT swim..I think I could handle putting my face in the water..or maybe NOT...Ha:)
YIKES on getting lost and all the truck driving pervs..."scary"..it would have been better if you had at least a dog that look like he could"attack" on demand:) What a cutie!!!

October 2, 2008 at 4:18 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

oh, we are so doing the keiki race....even i might join in - sounds like about the right distance for me! yay

October 2, 2008 at 5:29 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

also, no more getting "lost" - you have a race coming up that you need to crush at! rest time :)

October 2, 2008 at 5:30 PM

 
Blogger beth said...

so glad you found your way home. i would have been in an alley stuffing my face with tacos!!!!

i can't wait to watch (online) the race this weekend. you are going to have a great day, i know it.

enjoy austin (puhleese stalk lance and ride bikes with him-that would be incredible)

October 2, 2008 at 5:43 PM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Glad you made it back! And that kids race sounds AWESOME!

October 3, 2008 at 3:06 AM

 
Blogger Flatman said...

You should have just turned north and came up to Fort Worth!!! :)

Glad you found your way back. You should have just told Izzie to take you home...

October 3, 2008 at 4:24 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Harrison said...

BREE!! GOOD luck this weekend! Have a GREAT race and you know what...NO pressure, so just get out and have some fun! Race for some of us who can't (me!). xoxo Jen H.

October 3, 2008 at 4:32 AM

 
Blogger Trevor Oseen said...

Giv'er. No luck needed.

October 3, 2008 at 4:40 AM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Good Luck this weekend Bree! Make sure you have some Tex-Mex before you leave, Austin has some of the best! See you on the 8th!! We can enjoy the 'off-season' together!!
Lisa

October 3, 2008 at 4:46 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Ah Geeze.... now Bree, that would have been the PERFECT excuse to sasshay right over to Lancey's house to push the call button on the gate and say...
I'm lost can you help me?

October 3, 2008 at 4:59 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 3, 2008 at 4:59 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Fun adventures you're having! Good luck - have a blast!

October 3, 2008 at 5:29 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

I thought dogs can always find their way home! I think the doggie enjoyed the getting lost adventure : }
Have fun racing!!

October 3, 2008 at 5:43 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

HA HA funny about Paul...I didn't know that was his LAST name...I hear his name mentioned... isn't he becoming really good?? I never put the name and his face together:) WOW we did shots with a stud and colored his face:) you NEED to finish my job..I did not get the other side done (because of those dumb girls fighting)...so that is my challenge to you..COLOR his face and get a photo..ARE U UP FOR IT:) ???????

Miss you too!!!

October 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM

 
Blogger Maijaleena said...

That is the cutest walking/running buddy ever!

October 4, 2008 at 1:16 AM

 
Blogger Roo said...

Austin is confusing! I've been lost since I got here on Thurs. I bonked while driving the bike course because I ran out of snacks and couldn't find my way out of there! Here's to getting our bonking out of the way!

October 4, 2008 at 3:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home