Aloha!

Saturday, December 13, 2008

4 Bridges...


It was a whopping 42* this morning! Florida was hit with a cold front & we ran in it! My mom and sister, Bron, are training for a marathon so at 4 something in the morning they woke me up...

Dressed in my pink shorts and Bob Marley t-shirt I was ready to go! Got in the warm car, no worries, got out of the warm car where we would start our run and BIG PROBLEM! It was 42*! Must have been half-sleeping because I never noticed my mom and sister were dressed in hoodies, long pants, LAYERS! Trying to get warm I added the Lifesport visor (not much warmth) and my long sleeve pajama top...

90 minutes and 13.5 miles later I was still freezing! At 5:15 in the morning I passed 38 other runners (All training for Sarasota Marathon) and I was only 1 of 5 in shorts! AND the only one without a beanie or gloves!

The run was incredible though! Beautifully moon lit, sparkles on the water, and for the first time this "off-season" it felt like a run and not a "slosh fest". I ran over 4 bridges all decorated with sail boats nearby!

The rest of the day was spent dethawing in the house looking at fotos my mom saved from my college days and Costa Rica trips, Honduras, and Belize... Here are a few of my favorites...












Now I am off to listen to the singing Christmas tree... fingers crossed it is warm!



16 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Forgetting your warm stuff for a run is awful. I can't tell you how many weird looks I've gotten running with a pair of socks on my hands.

December 13, 2008 at 2:05 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Beanies, gloves and long pants ...when it's 42...man I'm jealous..It was 29F when I went on my training run this afternoon and only one other dude was braving the cold and ice....
how much longer until costa rica?

December 13, 2008 at 2:20 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Great photos!

Hey, your mom should have pointed out the whole lack of hat thing. I hate running in the cold.

Enjoy your trip!

December 13, 2008 at 4:01 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

42F is about 7F over long pants. (at least here in the Northeast)

December 13, 2008 at 4:15 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Now are the anouncers going to be calling you "surfer girl" or "skater girl" ,, oh I know "Irongirl"!! U can do it all.
Great photos, I hope it warms up for you.

December 13, 2008 at 7:22 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

It may be OK to train without much on (as long as you maintain a fairly good pace), but keep warm the rest of the time with plenty of clothes and central heating. The pool was 67F a few days ago and I felt cold the whole 50+ minutes I was in it. I understand what you mean by thawing yourself out. It takes me a long time, too. Maybe I should eat a lot of lard, as I am not built for cold weather.

December 14, 2008 at 3:01 AM

 
Blogger Maijaleena said...

Great pics! Enjoy your vacation time.

December 14, 2008 at 3:50 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Love the pics! Fun with the girls is the BEST! That would've have been one chilly run!! That's awsome that your mom and sister are training for marathon - woohoo to them!

December 14, 2008 at 4:28 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Bree, I don't think you can ever come to Pittsburgh if you think 42 is cold. ;)

Glad you had such a great run! Loving the Costa Rica pictures!!

December 14, 2008 at 7:53 AM

 
Blogger D said...

Your pace disgusts me. As does thinking 42, at 4-something-am, is cold. I'm heading out in -1 (or ~30 in America talk) pretty quick here. Booooo!

December 14, 2008 at 10:31 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Those are great pictures of you in your youth!! HA!
Sounds like you are having a good week with your family in Fla. even if it's chilly. We had a really bad ice storm up here in New England. No Power for DAYS for some. 42 sounds pretty good!!!!

December 14, 2008 at 2:30 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Oh - stay WARM! I know exactly what you mean!!! Great pictures, they look awesome! Love all the surfing - really really great shots. Enjoy the rest of your time in Florida! Hopefully with a little warmer stuff. :)

December 14, 2008 at 2:59 PM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Bree--it's -33 here today...-40 with the windchill...celsius or farehnheit...it's all the same at those temps! Enjoy the fact that you CAN bike and run outside!!
Hopefully see you soon!
Lisa

December 14, 2008 at 5:55 PM

 
Blogger Kona Shelley said...

Even back then you were a ham eh?? Cute...:-))

December 15, 2008 at 6:12 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

I could have hacked the shorts, but I would have been crying for a pair of gloves.

December 15, 2008 at 11:31 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

It was seriously cold last Saturday. My hubby and a few of my friends ran a local 5K (I played photographer). We all froze our tales off!

Loved the old pics! They are really fantastic!

December 16, 2008 at 2:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home