Aloha!

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Training In South Florida...

Today's training sessions were ALL BUSINESS... I was very, very, very on task and must admit I nailed every interval and every zone coach gave me...

(The bike I used for my ride today... vroooooom!)

First on the plan was a bike. I had to include 8x1:15 HARD... Oh I went as fast and furious as I could... it hurt, I was huffing and puffing, I stopped traffic too! Not sure if the truck stopped and laughed because they never saw someone wearing such a bright purple shirt with neon yellow shorts, because they thought Kainoa was the cutest thing ever to hit Florida, or they just never saw a bike with a baby seat move that fast for 1 minute and 15 seconds 8times!

The ride was incredibly hilarious... I did follow the training plan...and the cool down we took time to stop and smell the farms! We pet horses (even though the signs ask us not too), we moooooo'd at cows, and we looked at tractors. It was like a field trip on the back of mommy's bike for Kainoa.



(Kainoa petting a horse)

(After the run...and the best part, my mom came!! She did her own run though, but at least we started together!! She is training for her 2nd marathon, GO MOM!!)

And now for the run... again... I did EVERYTHING coach asked. The main set was 5,4,3,2,1 hard with 2 easy between each. AND my mission... was to push Kainoa up and over the Lido bridge in the jogging stroller for the first fast round of 5. Mission accomplished! He pooped out by the time we got to the top, me on the other hand was just getting warmed up and even passed two runners going over the bridge! Take that coach, who says jogging strollers can't run 6:30 miles!!

We saw a beautiful sunset and neighborhoods full of Christmas lights!


(Lido Bridge...)

Yesterday was an 8 mile run... I passed 12 horses, 3 turtles, and one gator... that is how I know I am in South Florida! Today we were under a tornado watch till noon... yep, Florida style all the way! And on my swim I shared a lane with a man & his snorkel and fins... only in Florida! I am officially the color orange from drinking SOOOOOOO much fresh squeezed OJ. WONDERFUL! And Kainoa has eaten more candy canes and treats from grandma than imaginable... this trip is full of family and just what the holidays are all about!

And this foto, please don't ask me what it is, Florida has all sorts of strange things on the side of the road. Hope everyone's holidays are off to a good start!

Off for more orange juice!!

Fresh Squeezed by Kainoa of course...

.



27 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

Hi Bree! Don't know how long you're in Sarasota, but... if you need a tri bike let me know. I can arrange for a loaner since I'm up in the Clearwater area. I am sure the intervals are a tad bit harder on that bike :-)
Have a great holiday
Val

December 11, 2008 at 4:03 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

You don't have a clue who I am, but I have been reading your blog regularly because I love seeing and reading about training in the mostly perfect weather of Hawaii - or any of the other warm places you train. My run this morning was the total opposite of yours. Here is proof: http://a-space-toddyssey.blogspot.com/

Have a good time and enjoy the warm weather.

December 11, 2008 at 5:04 PM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!! Looks like you are having such a fantastic time! Mmmmm Florida oranges yummy! 6:30's with a jogging stroller - what the heck - that's FAST!!!
Get back to vacationing!!!

December 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

PS) Glad to see you're teaching Kainoa that "it's all about breaking the rules".

December 11, 2008 at 5:47 PM

 
Blogger Melissa said...

Oh my gosh. That photo of you and Kainoa on the bike melted my heart! So cute. And so funny thinking about you guys going fast and doing intervals.

I hope you are having a nice time with your family!

December 11, 2008 at 5:48 PM

 
Blogger Dave said...

We have the picture that statue is based on framed in our living room!

December 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

There are many oranges where I am too, I think I'll eat more after reading your article. I guess it must be fun being able swim or run faster than everyone, but I hope you find someone good enough who can train with you. I feel I am swimming in an ice bath each day, but at least I am killing two birds with one stone - working on my technique while massaging my tired swimming muscles. Glad to read your mother is training for marathons. I'm not the only crazy oldish person around.

December 11, 2008 at 6:59 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

wow, kainoa is a solid training partner! does he know to yell faster mommy faster yet?

love your bike outfit! straight up awesome!!

December 11, 2008 at 7:09 PM

 
Blogger Roo said...

I shared a lane with snorkel and fins guy here in SD yesterday! The masters coach finally booted him though. I guess that's not allowed in the masters lane! (This gives you hint as to how slow I swim at masters.)

December 11, 2008 at 7:48 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Heh Bree, I assume that you took your areo helmet off before the picture of you and Kainoa,,, imagine the looks you would get with an areo helmet and childs seat on a bike:)
looks like your training is "bang on" and your nutrition also "bang on" with Kainoa freshly squeezed orange juice!! Enjoy your time in Florida before heading off to CR

RG :)

December 11, 2008 at 9:43 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

I absolutely love the fact that you did your bike intervals on that bike!! :) Great to hear you and Kainoa are having such a great time! Enjoy the rest of your stay!

December 12, 2008 at 1:10 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Oh fun! I would have loved to see you zoom by the other runners with the baby carriage! To be a fly on the wall. Their eyes probably popped out of their heads! LOL!

I had no idea about that tornado watch yesterday until a friend mentioned it later in the day. Yikes!

Enjoy all of that OJ!

December 12, 2008 at 3:20 AM

 
Blogger Rebecca DeWire said...

Your training partner is so cute! I bet you guys had fun together and I love your comment about your baby jogger speed. I did an 8K race recently with the baby jogger and got some funny looks as I sped past people. You can really get going fast with those things.

December 12, 2008 at 3:47 AM

 
Blogger kakes773 said...

This looked like so much fun, Bree! What a great outing with your son--you wore him out:-) What was your 5,4,3,2,1 hard with 2 easy between each? Are those numbers minutes? Miles? Thanks!

December 12, 2008 at 5:16 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Looks like you are having a wonderful time:) Treasure every sec with your family....give Cricket a hug for me:) xoxo Love the photos!!!

December 12, 2008 at 5:57 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Nice Bree! Nice! In your element.. so wonderful to see.

December 12, 2008 at 7:21 AM

 
Blogger MJ said...

That kind of training is good for the soul. Have a blast!

December 12, 2008 at 10:00 AM

 
Blogger Wes said...

Yes, the kiss celebrating the end of WW II, Victory in Japan or Europe Day?? 6:30 miles in a jogging stroller... too funny!

December 12, 2008 at 10:25 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Looks like you're off to a GREAT start on the vacation - have a blast!!

December 12, 2008 at 1:20 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

So glad you are having a great time!! Love the pics!! The bright outfit is totally awesome!!! :)

December 12, 2008 at 2:28 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

That looks like some fun training.

Enjoy your time!

December 12, 2008 at 6:49 PM

 
Blogger Mama Simmons said...

I'm not sure my baby jogger goes that fast? Maybe I got a defective one... ;)

December 12, 2008 at 10:08 PM

 
Blogger untpawgal02 said...

Look like some well needed training you are doing in Florida! Enjoy!

December 13, 2008 at 3:18 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Looks like a truly amazing vacation - you have this knack for turning training into a super fun adventure. Love it!

December 13, 2008 at 4:39 AM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Training in shorts and short sleeves in December...man I'm jealous. Looks like you two are having a blast enjoy Costa Rica.

December 13, 2008 at 5:47 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

I have a feeling you haven't been properly fitted on that bike... :)

December 13, 2008 at 11:13 AM

 
Blogger Viv said...

So much for warm FL weather, hehehe! What a great time you are having, and GO MOM! Great pics from the past too, you are still supah cute :)

December 14, 2008 at 3:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home