Aloha!

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tune-ups...

Not exactly a couch potato but not really a "lets go run NOW" girl either... it takes a little motivation to get me going. Sometimes all it takes is a new flavor of gel to make me want to ride my bike just so I can try it. Slowly easing back into training, setting an alarm clock, healthier food choices, are all starting to take part in life again this week. Sunday was an open water swim race and an hour run, AN HOUR RUN?!? Whoa, talk about training... I have not seen an hour of running in 4weeks! It hurt. I wasn't a big fan. The count down to Costa Rica (13 days by the way) was taking toooooooo long, I was already needing "off season" number 2.

After 3 days in a row of "training" today was a day off!! Serious measures were in order if I was going to survive the transition from "hanging out on an island" to "training". I used my day to TUNE-UP the necessities of an athlete...

My bike went to the bike shop to get clean, greased, oiled, and whatever else the bike shop boys do to a bike when it gets tuned-up. (that actually made me want to ride it). Then I took the board I am taking to Costa Rica to get all the dings fixed (Come on 13 days!!!). Then I took my body to the ART/chiropractor to get all the pains out (Now I am fired up to take care of my body). Later I stocked the fridge with the best foods you can put into a body (that made me want to eat better). I put new laces in my shoes and checked out new Splish suits (that made me excited to run and swim more). Mixed new tunes for the Ipod (some of those songs have been played ALL year long!) And finally I watched the Vancouver 1/2 Ironman dvd, the one where I took 3hrs to take off my wetsuit then rode bike off course (that totally got me fired up to NEVER DO THAT AGAIN).

Basically the day was spent getting any little bits of motivation for triathlon added back into the beach festival I have been living in the last 4 weeks.

A typical day in my life...

This transition is so so so fragile. Easing back allows time to find a balance between life and sport. It's also a perfect time to reflect on all the things worth celebrating during the 08 season and all the things (like not getting a wet suit off) that deserve a bit more focus. And of course it is the perfect time to create goals and give meanings and reasons for training and racing in 09.

And not making fun of this guy, he is really cool, one of my goals is to not stand out that bad snapping fotos every bike ride as bad as he does...

.



11 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

Some great posts lately Bree.... switching gears is never too easy. I always need to have that first race on the calendar. Cheers,

December 2, 2008 at 9:46 PM

 
Blogger UntPawGal02 said...

Happy to see our transition into off season is going so well. Living by the beach must be fabulous :)

December 3, 2008 at 1:12 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

One of the beautiful things about you, Bree, is that you seem to see a lesson and an opportunity to learn in every experience...I think that is what makes us appreciate life a little more.

You are awesome! I look forward to seeing you soon...and while you are mixing tunes for your ipod, don't forget my cd of "Island Tunes" :)

A great future post for you to do would be a list of some of your favorite ipod tunes. I am always looking for more to put on mine. I get bored so easily and I tend to get tired of the same stuff over and over.

December 3, 2008 at 2:06 AM

 
Blogger Kona Shelley said...

Thats a cool pic of that guy...heck I'd wear anything if they let me into Hawaii..:-))

December 3, 2008 at 2:55 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

I like the idea of the tune up. I agree- sometimes just little things can re-spark the motivation.

December 3, 2008 at 3:10 AM

 
Blogger Bob Spory said...

Too funny, Bree! I just blogged about how happy new iPod songs make me! Sounds like you are on your way!

December 3, 2008 at 4:37 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

How fun Bree. I like the transition idea and I am doing it myself! These are good ideas! It IS the little things that get us excited and make us want to get back into things! A good friend of mine makes me cool techno beat cds and she just made me a new one but I am saving it until I go in hardcore so I can get all pumped up!! Hope you are doing well and thinking about you as always!! 13 days!!

December 3, 2008 at 6:04 AM

 
Blogger Bruce said...

You have been sensible to take a break from the usual hard training and racing. I have not taken a break in swimming in 8 months (of course my training is a lot less intense), but I did switch pools and have had to adjust to colder water, etc. I wish I, like you, could eat well. I am generally so busy and so bad a cook that I rarely eat interesting meals. Enjoy your training and life.

December 3, 2008 at 6:13 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Great post! I love how you just let the bike shop boys do whatever it is they do! I don't know anything about my bike and fully agree with letting the people who know what they are doing do the job.
Only 13 more days Woohoo!! You are going to have a fantastic time.
Cheers
Me

December 3, 2008 at 6:53 AM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

I definitely agree about a second break being needed! I am also getting back into training and it is hard! Have an awesome time in Costa Rica!

December 3, 2008 at 10:29 AM

 
Blogger D said...

Maybe you won't come back to Vancouver to race (at least any time soon), but you should come in April to visit me and we'll go to the Britney Spears concert! hahahahaha

December 3, 2008 at 12:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home