Aloha!

Friday, January 2, 2009

Bubbles...


It is way past my bed time... layovers are making me stay awake so I don't miss my next flight. Today (like usual) I had one of my pre-leaving-Kainoa melt downs. We were blowing bubbles and I was on the brink of crying knowing in one hour Canada was calling...

I was wasting quality bubble blowing time thinking about saying goodbye to Kainoa. Then I was wasting more quality bubble blowing time with him thinking about how I should have taken him to the beach this morning...

Watching him I had an epiphany... he was focused on every single bubble from the moment it blew up to the second it hit something and popped. Not a single moment wasted on worry of how long till it popped and not a care in the world about how it got there...

Once again a 2.5 year old teaches me a lesson... just be in the moment...

Almost time to tackle a training camp. These moments with my coach and team are some of the most amazing experiences of my life. I love them, all of it from getting my bum kicked to suffering in the cold, to dying in the pool, to my legs falling off from the runs. So here I am ready to soak up each moment of this camp without my usual "wish I was here or there".

Arrival time in Victoria will be 8:35am, 9:15am is the first run... nothing like 4 hrs of sleep and a long run to get the party started! It is officially the start of my 2009 triathlon season! Out with the sleeping in and staying up late, better eating habits, and of course no more missing training to surf... Focus and purpose are back on the priority list...

Happy training & racing this season!!



19 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Have a great training camp Bree!! Enjoy every second! (and try and keep warm in Canada... :)

January 3, 2009 at 3:00 AM

 
Blogger Kona Shelley said...

yup..those wee ones are smarter than us for sure..have fun in Canada!

January 3, 2009 at 5:14 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Yah for 2009 - have fun at camp!

January 3, 2009 at 5:59 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Have fun at trainig camp! Can't wait to hear all about it.

January 3, 2009 at 6:10 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Have fun at camp and blow some bubbles along the way to remember what they have taught you!

January 3, 2009 at 6:12 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Welcome to Canada Bree. I cant believe I slept in past when your plane landed and was just reading your blog as you are starting your run!!! Looking at the Weather Network for the warmest time of the day for me to run. I alway learn from your blogs, and I think I learned I am going to have to work harder.
You are inspiring, have a great training camp, maybe some bubbles Kainoa blew will make it across the Pacific Ocean for you!!!

January 3, 2009 at 7:28 AM

 
Blogger D said...

I'm not sure what's going on in Vic right now, but it's snowing like a motherf.... in Van. Stupid snow.

I think I'm going to try and make a day trip over there next weekend!!! :D

January 3, 2009 at 8:39 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

What impresses me about you Bree, is the way you are able to stop and Learn from moments like that. You are so right. So so right. My boys blow bubbles the same way. Why are we always worried about what's next? Or what was? I suffer from this. Thank you for opening your eyes so wide and helping us learn lessons along the way. YOur soul is very smart.
Have a blast up there in training camp!! Sounds awesome to me.

January 3, 2009 at 11:54 AM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

Have fun in Victoria! Hopefully you packed some warm clothes and boots! Although it is definitely warmer there than Alberta!

January 3, 2009 at 12:01 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Have a great time in Canada and most of all good luck in 2009. I am so excited to see how this year pans out for you but I am sure it will be amazing.

January 3, 2009 at 12:31 PM

 
Blogger Maijaleena said...

Have fun at your training camp and live in the moment!

January 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Enjoy every moment Bree!

January 3, 2009 at 2:24 PM

 
Blogger Mama Simmons said...

I too am in awe of what the little ones can teach us. My 2 month old has taught me the same lesson about being in the present... she can be totally upset about something and then 5 seconds later all is right in the world again and you'd never know anything was ever wrong. She just doesn't hold a grudge. So cool.
Enjoy your training camp!

January 3, 2009 at 2:36 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Have a safe trip Bree...have so much fun at camp enjoy what you love to do!!! No need to pack the 15 bikini's but maybe a snow suit...ha ha...welcome to my shit weather:) think of me when you are running in the cold and your lung is ready to burst...and with all the clothes layers you will be wearing...you will feel like a fat blimp...that is how I felt yesterday running ....not so fun:) I will be ready to hear Waaaaaaahhhhhhh.....ha ha...luv ya:)keep us posted!!

January 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Have fun in Canada I hear it gets cold up there ..eh? Part of me really agrees with you on the live in the moment philosophy .

January 4, 2009 at 5:57 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart said...

I'll just settle for the cold weather in southern Taiwan. Have a good training camp!

January 5, 2009 at 2:37 AM

 
Blogger Running~Jordan said...

Enjoy the snow :)

January 5, 2009 at 5:03 AM

 
Blogger Natalie said...

Isn't it just like our little tykes to teach us some of the most meaningful lessons on life! In their innocent way of seeing the world, we get to catch glimpses of what perfection looks like! I love that reminder to keep things in life simple!

Have fun in Canada and stay warm!

January 5, 2009 at 9:18 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

I love this pic of K with the bubbles! Enjoy training camp.

January 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home