Aloha!

Monday, January 5, 2009

Canada Camp Day 3...


Day 1... I slept through. That is not a joke. Coach Bruce picked me up from the airport, I ooooed and ahhhhed at the snow, we picked up a dog, then I fell asleep and didn't wake for 24 hours. Somewhere between Hawaii- Florida-Costa Rica-Florida-Hawaii-Canada I forgot to sleep and my body decided to do it all in one day. I have never slept a day of my life away. Supposedly coach Paul was trying to make me eat toast and drink ginger ale (I don't remember that at all). About the time Marsha (my amazing home stay mom) was about to call the doctor I emerged from bed and asked what day it was... I missed a run and a bike... and a run...

Day 2... I made the swim and it was INCREDIBLE to be back at camp! There are 16 of us and everyone is so enthusiastic to be back to training. Despite being on the comeback from my hibernation, being in the pool with incredible athletes had me fired up. After 2700 meters coach pulled me out. I am sure it was the smart choice to let the body build back, however I was more than ready to get my bum kicked by my teammates...

Day 3... Just home from a run IN THE SNOW! Fully dressed like an Eskimo and the ipod fired up I was feeling like Rocky, ready to rumble. The first song on my ipod was "Summer Time" by Shaggy and it could not be more fitting as I slogged through the snow... it has been 13 days since I ran (because of the sprained ankle which is now nearly 100%!!!) Part of me felt frustrated at my sloth like pace (I blamed it on ALL the clothes). I had to remind myself to be patient with my body, it was just a couple weeks ago I was having some of the best runs of my life on the beaches of Playa Hermosa and those same run feelings would be back soon enough...

In an hour we have a swim. At 6:45pm we have a second swim. And this is camp!! I could not be more thankful for my career... I absolutely love it... even though it is FREEZING!
A view (beach front) from my room! Thanks to Coach Bruce and Marsha Regensburg for having me!



17 Comments:

Blogger Ange said...

gosh Bree! I hope you're ok and you were jsut really tired!!
Have a blast at camp. Think how fast you'll feel when you get to take all those clotehs off to run! I get to experience that every spring and it's a blast!

January 5, 2009 at 9:24 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Have fun! Looks like you are handling all the ups and downs of being a pro athlete very well. Enjoy yourself!
-marn

January 5, 2009 at 9:37 AM

 
Blogger Benson said...

Whoa, slept for 24 hours? Glad you're up and around now.
Camp sounds like fun...and hard too but who's counting.
You're off to a good start to 2009.
Nice view.

January 5, 2009 at 9:44 AM

 
Blogger triguyjt said...

thats amazing..that you slept for 24 hours.... I can't even go 7 straight anymore..

January 5, 2009 at 11:55 AM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

wow slept a day away...that takes talent...I think the worst I ever did was sleeping until 5PM once.

I hear you on the ankle injury ( strained achilles) so hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday I'll be able to run again. Good luck with camp.

January 5, 2009 at 11:57 AM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

I was about to ask (before I started reading the post) if that was Bruce and Marsha's backyard. Shelley told me y'all swam 5300m last night. see you sunday.

January 5, 2009 at 12:00 PM

 
Blogger D said...

Where's all the snow in the pics? I think you've got it easy over there!! :P

January 5, 2009 at 1:06 PM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Enjoy - and glad you finally slept!

January 5, 2009 at 3:55 PM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

"Summertime" while running in Canada? Priceless...

January 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM

 
Blogger runninggunner said...

Hope it warms up for you. It has been crazy cold here on the westcost. I hope it warms up for me too.

Have a good camp.

January 5, 2009 at 5:45 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Wow, 24 hours of sleep. That almost sounds decadant. Have an amazing time getting your butt kicked!

January 5, 2009 at 6:43 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

Snow? Brrr.... you don't have to go to Canada to run in the snow...you can do that on the Big Island. Have fun and stay warm.

January 5, 2009 at 6:47 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

24 hours of sleep? My record is 14 hours of very sound sleep after cycling 180 miles and very little sleep the night before that. You must have missed at least two nights' sleep somewhere. At least if I swim tomorrow morning, I'll be thankful I am not where you are. Anyway, I am sure you will have a great time.

January 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Sounds fantastic! Uhm, maybe not. Next time you will have to ensure that they organise a training camp in Sunny South Africa!

January 5, 2009 at 11:39 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

It's good you've got some rest. Now get back to work ;-)

January 6, 2009 at 12:02 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

I can't believe your running in that cold! We froze in Canada... I forgot how cold, cold can be...
Have fun training- Love You!
Aunt Cricket

January 6, 2009 at 6:08 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

So glad to hear that your ankle is almost back to normal.

Getting enough rest is an amazing thing, eh? Stay warm!

January 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home