Aloha!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Canada Camp, not sure what day...

It's official, I lost count of what day we are on... somewhere between freezing and sweating all the days bundled into one. Today I took 2 showers trying to dethaw. I made the water as hot as I could handle, so hot steam was coming off me when I got out, so hot I was pretty sure my skin would melt off. It helped...

Then I put a pineapple on the window sill over looking my ocean view in hopes it would trigger warm tropical thoughts to my brain. I also played Chaka Demus (one of my favorite bands) over and over to get some warm blood flowing with my dance moves...that helped too...

It really is beautiful this time of year and getting to experience the seasons (no leaves on the trees season) is certainly an experience I won't forget.

Yesterday was the "Speech of Champions". It was highly motivating and humorous all rolled into one 90 minute session with coach and my team. After the "chat" it was time to swim (again...). Looking at the white board and seeing the main set as 3x(10x100) I wanted to laugh. Those sets scare me... when the main set is equal to the ENTIRE workout back home it's a little funny. My lane mates and I welcomed it with arms wide open. Less than 45 minutes later we were done with that set and cooling down. Perhaps this swim thing is getting easier or maybe I am starting to enjoy swimming again...

Sabrina making sure the bike sessions have some laughter...
Coach Dan leading a trainer session...

This morning we ran a mellow 10 miles (including drills and stuff). Nearly everyone and their dog was out today! (I mean that too...). After the run it was time for the beloved trainers. AND I LOVE the trainer! When it is cold out there is no place I would rather ride my bike than on a trainer!

Finally time for some relaxing. I am listening to the ocean and every part of me is wanting to walk the beach barefoot (but there is NO WAY I would ever do that in Canada this time of year!) Tomorrow is more running and swimming and cold or hot, this is still living my dream job!

Happy training!



13 Comments:

Blogger Go Gammie said...

Aww Bree, all you need are a pair of gum boots and a Helly Hansen rain jacket for the walk on the beaches. Not the same as CR or Hawaii for sure, but there may be some shells out there for you. Amazing how fast your 3000m swim workouts are done, guess that is why you are pros, awesome job. Have a great run tomorrow, I hope your ankle is 100% now :)

January 10, 2009 at 5:59 PM

 
Blogger Wes said...

Where there's a will, there's a way :-) You rock, Bree, freezing or no :-)

January 10, 2009 at 6:28 PM

 
Blogger Jewell said...

I'd take listening to the Ocean! Hey I meant to post weeks ago, I love your dreams. Everyone should dream big! My wife had a dream like yours a few years ago. We established a foundation through San Diego City schools called First in My Family, giving kids the chance to be the first to go to college. So far, so good, we have 5 kids in school right now with more on the way. It starts with Mary and her teaching (each kid has had Mary as a teacher) and then they get some financial help through the foundation. It's not much but it's enough to help them reach. Anyway, good on your dream!
Dave

January 10, 2009 at 8:09 PM

 
Blogger MJ said...

It still strikes me as odd that you would come from Kona to Victoria for a training camp in January....

Nevertheless, it seems like you are having a blast with the teammates and coaches. Glad you are enjoying our fair province as much as I enjoyed your island over Christmas and New Year's. Damn! Wish I was back there now!

January 10, 2009 at 9:16 PM

 
Blogger Karen said...

Bree, I can't even imagine what 'cold' feels like after living in Hawaii for three years. It's funny how fast one forgets what things like that feel like. It sure doesn't sound fun. I hope you have a great time there, get in some good training, learn a lot, and then hurry home to our nice warm weather.

January 10, 2009 at 9:28 PM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Awesome day at the office. Glad that you are still loving it with the cold temperatures and leafless trees. :-)

January 11, 2009 at 4:17 AM

 
Blogger Julie said...

I just had a great idea -- I totally think you should attempt a mini polar bear swim on your very last day -- even if you just run into the water and come flying back out! LOL!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

January 11, 2009 at 5:18 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Harrison said...

Bree!
SO glad you are having so much fun and trying to stay warm - at least there is not HUGE snow!!! Keep having fun and updating us - we can live thru you! :)

January 11, 2009 at 10:48 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

It is great hen your dream job allows you to wear lycra spandex and keeps you in shape. Great co-workers is a huge plus as well.

January 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Hang in there, chica!!!

January 11, 2009 at 1:09 PM

 
Blogger D said...

I'm always happy when someone learns why I love my trainer so much. ;)

January 11, 2009 at 6:29 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Good to hear you are enjoying it! Loving your updates.

January 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM

 
Blogger Melissa said...

I love the pineapple photo! Looks like you are having fun and working hard at camp. Nice job on the swimming :-) Those sets would scare me too!

January 12, 2009 at 5:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home