Aloha!

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Give...


To be honest I woke up grumpy. It was not my usual, "Yay, New Year is here". It was more of "darn, so much unfinished business from 08 that I wish was settled so I could start 09 FRESH. Pretty much the first couple hours of 09 I was grouchy...

My accountability partner called me and told me to find a key word for the day. One that would pull me through my funk. I chose "believe" thinking I could just believe everything would work out and everything would be okay. It wasn't working...

After Costa Rica I made a promise to "simplify" my life. Just rid clutter and mess, negativity, and material things too. So I decided to spend the afternoon SIMPLIFYING. It started with a few clothes, I was feeling really good and changed my word for the day to "give". Then it became 15 pairs of unworn shoes. Then it became 3 piles of clothes. Then 3 stacks of books, back packs and bags, and a bunch of other things that I use only "here and there".

An hour or so later I had just a few dresses hanging, only a handful of bikinis (not my usual 72, that is not a joke, I have that many), only 2 pairs of run shoes, only my favorite Roxy shorts, a couple shirts, and that's about it. It felt awesome, I finally felt better!

Now what to do... in an instant my heart said... "Costa Rica". But how? I am not rich and sending all the clothes, bags, shoes, would be like 1 months rent! I called Travis, he sponsors missionaries in Costa Rica. I asked him to sponsor me (anyone that knows me knows I have a VERY hard time asking for money, in fact coach Paul thinks I am cheap). But I asked... it was worth a try. I was scared he would say "no" or tell me to donate it to a place here in Hawaii...

After 2 seconds of thinking he replied with "Yes, I will pay to send it there for you"!! I could not be more excited... finally the first day of the New Year felt better...hmmm... now I just need to talk him in to sending me there to deliver it!! I might be able to swing that one too...

And to make it more fun... I am starting this HUGE pile and plan to send it in April, he might wish he never said "yes" when he sees how BIG I am going to make it! Thanks Travis... you are going to clothe A LOT of people and shoe them too! Kids will have bags for school and you helped get my New Year off to a GREAT start!

Happy New Year everyone! Off to Canada for swim camp!!! I got my fingers crossed for a heat wave in Victoria!!



18 Comments:

Blogger Maggs said...

I did a similar thing over the last year, get rid of stuff. It feels great. Happy New Year and stay warm in Canada.

January 1, 2009 at 5:26 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

happy new year! that is exactly what i have spent the day doing!!! i really feel the need to simplify and get rid of a lot of crap...it feels good :)
have a great time in canada!

January 1, 2009 at 6:45 PM

 
Blogger Shawn and Tracy said...

I just love your spirit...must be that teacher connection ;-)
Happy 09!
Tracy

January 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Good for you!! Glad you are feeling better!
You could also start something like a PayPal account for donations from friends so that you can raise some of the money to ship it. I would donate. I also have so much stuff sitting around not being used regularly. Thanks for the reminder to sort it out and GIVE it to someone who is in need.
Happy New Year, Bree! Keep smilin' - everything will fall into place.
Oh, meant to ask you...have you seen Mango???

January 2, 2009 at 2:03 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

wee! so smart, I love it!!!!! That will feel so wonderful :)

January 2, 2009 at 4:46 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Bree, what a simply lovely thing you're doing. Brilliant. You go girl!

January 2, 2009 at 5:09 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

That's so great that you are doing that! The other end will surely appreciate it.
Happy New Year Chickeeta!

January 2, 2009 at 5:35 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

What a great way to start the year! I am proud of you for getting it done and not just wishing you could do something!

January 2, 2009 at 6:56 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Perfect way to start the new year! Have fun in Canada and stay WARM!! :)

January 2, 2009 at 7:38 AM

 
Blogger Bob Spory said...

Lean and mean. You know, the package couldn't be THAT big ... your clothes are tiny ;)

January 2, 2009 at 8:21 AM

 
Blogger Kylie said...

That is a wonderful word for the new year, and a great way to turn your funk positive. Best of luck in the new year, and in Canada :)

January 2, 2009 at 8:50 AM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Have fun in Canada!

And there's NO SUCH THING as "too many bikinis!"

Happy New Year!!

January 2, 2009 at 10:38 AM

 
Blogger tomdog said...

Awesome job! I really admire your missionary Spirit. I just cleaned out some clothes in my closet and my kids rooms and gave them to a local church outreach center. Now this makes me feel like I need to go back and do more! Nothing wrong with being generous to others. Give and it shall be given unto you.

Enjoy the blog. Happy New Year!

January 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

I don't do that sort of stuff as often as I should but when It's done it feels great. Have fun in Canada!

January 2, 2009 at 12:02 PM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

Happy New Year. It is amazing how a physical declutter will help you declutter the rest of your life. Have a great New Year and good luck at Swim Camp--even if it is in BC.

BTW--We will be in Hawaii in May. I need good places to eat. LOL

January 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM

 
Blogger Eric said...

Yea Bree. Great job turning the funkies around.

I always say, "Go ahead and ask. The worst that can happen is they say no." Better than not asking at all.

Looking forward to a following a great year for you.

January 2, 2009 at 3:08 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart said...

You might also be able to take extra luggage free if you explain to the airline what you are up to beforehand. You could also get your friends in Florida to collect clothes for you, too, as they will not need to travel so far and the airline will probably be nice to you since they are flying direct into CR. Kids' clothes are smaller and lighter and more valued in my opinion.
Life will certainly be more simple with fewer things, and if you don't quickly restock you will also save a lot of money that can be used in better ways than just on clothes.
If you accomplish this task, you will certainly feel happy.

January 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

 
Blogger TICA MACHA said...

You are an inspiration!
Teri in Hermosa

January 5, 2009 at 5:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home