Aloha!

Thursday, January 8, 2009

I need a seashell and sand...

WARM Playa Hermosa...Just for today I wish this picture was real life...

Camp is kicking my ---!!!! Rest, train, eat, sleep, repeat... I love it as much as I always have. But it hurts worse than I remember it ever hurting. Maybe because it is so early in the year (usually camps happen when we are some what "warmed up"), or maybe I expect so much more of myself than my body is ready to give, or maybe it is so darn cold my body just wants to get back to the beach, or maybe I am JUST REALLY OUT OF SHAPE!

I vote for being really out of shape.

This mornings 5k swim was better than the previous swims (thankfully!). The run was by far the most frustrating run ever. Usually I have no problem sucking it up and just getting the job done. Today there was nothing I could do. The body was not where I wanted it to be and I had to accept that. When I wanted more speed or to make it count or to suffer a little longer there was just nothing, not even running in a pack could save me. Half way through the 1k repeats coach told me to call it base run. So off to run "base" rather than "speed". Maybe I need more base miles before I start adding any intensity yet. Whatever it is or was I was frustrated and bummed. For sure I was not expecting to just pick up where I left off last season, but the very bottom was where I was and it was time to accept that. Maybe that is what happens when you take a "real off season break". You get real out of shape...

During my base run, alone, it was some time for thinking. I was craving a run on a HOT sandy beach, just to feel sand in my toes again. I wanted to pick up seashells and race the little dogs of Playa Hermosa. Maybe I am homesick today. After my pity party (which I really was not having one, I am MORE than thankful to be here!!), I started to look at the champions I was surrounded by...

Almost everyday after swimming (those nearly 2hr swims) Brent Mcmahon is on the pool deck alone doing sit ups, stretching, and reflecting on his swims. Today we had the video camera on us and he was swimming, watching, swimming, watching, just doing every little thing possible to better himself. Then, after the run (long and painful let me mind you), we were all into warm cars pulling out and in the distance I noticed him up the road running more... alone...

These camps are unreal. The caliber of athletes here has me so motivated and inspired. It is the little things that everyone does after the work has been done. Sure some of these athletes with us have been to the Olympics or won Ironmans, but the things they do really aren't that "strange", the difference is they do them and others don't...

Maybe holding onto seashells keeps me going. I think I better go look for one in the snow because I really need to get my butt in gear! Tomorrow is a meeting and a swim (yes, only 1 swim, only one workout tomorrow!!).

My lesson learned today is to deal with where I am and just move forward from there...and darn, starting from the bottom is not easy!

.Kainoa...I miss you.



21 Comments:

Blogger kerrie said...

good to hear you are working hard!!! i have always heard(and i'm trying to believe it now)that you need to get a little out of shape at the end of season to get in even better shape for next season. so fitness lost will result in fitness gained!
enjoy vancouver island! i love it there!!

January 8, 2009 at 7:28 PM

 
Blogger Marty said...

Training with other great athletes will only make you a better athlete.

January 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM

 
Blogger themagicisback said...

YO BREE!!! I haven't read your blog in awhile. Just now catching up! Starting from the bottom is no joke this year. I'm hoping within the next couple weeks I'll be able to walk again. Keep up the hard work and don't take anything for granted!

January 8, 2009 at 8:29 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

The athletes you are with might inspire you, but you inspire me and I am sure a lot of others.

Well done!

January 8, 2009 at 11:23 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Just take it as an "off day" and move on. I am pretty sure that you are hard on yourself sometimes. We all know what a great athlete you are. Have fun!

January 8, 2009 at 11:55 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Bree, I am so happy you are enjoying the COLD weather:)ha..I think being "out of shape" is a good thing...because you work so hard to get back your fitness and by working so hard you learn new strategies and get stronger and tougher,,,it CHALLENGES you to get "IT BACK" make sense:)
I hope you find that seashell!!!

January 9, 2009 at 3:43 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

hang in there girl, stay tough like you are. All this work will reap big rewards. All that swimming sounds fabulous to me...beautiful pool!! Your camp life inspires me. I'm getting ready to head OUt for a run (first time off treadmill all week) but it's only 11 degrees...ug.
Have a good 1 workout day!!!

January 9, 2009 at 4:11 AM

 
Blogger Nitsirk said...

You really are inspiring to many of us. Just yesterday I was at masters swim grumbling about the set and I thought to myself "how would Bree handle this?" I decided to quite whining and enjoy the challenge. Thanks for helping me keep things in perspective :) Stay warm.

January 9, 2009 at 4:19 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Hang in there Bree!! It will get better as the fitness comes around...and the fact that you really took some down time in the winter will pay big dividends come Oct!! You have plenty of time... Of course this is all much easier said than accepted as I have been feeling the same way myself! I hope you enjoy the rest of your camp!

January 9, 2009 at 5:11 AM

 
Blogger Laura said...

Maybe being out of shape makes you appreciate your in shape self and what you know you can do even more? Still love reading your blog no matter what shape you are in! :)

January 9, 2009 at 5:19 AM

 
Blogger Silvi said...

Hi!
Don´t worry at all! Well I am not at all as fast as you are, but I thought it might be a good idea to train and race 4,5 year with just 2-3 weeks off training after the ironman races... and well it endet with that annoying stress fracture banning me from running since 10 weeks now and I just got another 4 from my doctor... you will be fast much faster with a little bit -off season out of shape-!
A shame that you have to run instead of skiing in the snow ;-)
I am just sitting in beautiful snowy austria waiting for the OK for skiing at least!
ciao silv

January 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Be as kind and generous to yourself as you are to everyone else :-)

January 9, 2009 at 8:50 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Starting at the bottom, there's only 1 place to go and that is UP!!! This is making you a stronger better athlete! Enjoy your rest today and I hope that you find a sea shell. And be kind to yourself remember you have gone through a lot and that takes a toll on your body as well!
Hugs :)

January 9, 2009 at 8:55 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Bree,
You are a gem! It is okay to have an "off" day - they make us stronger.
I hope you are having a better day and be good to yourself.
oh, and thanks for the message and support.

January 9, 2009 at 9:56 AM

 
Blogger L1z4 said...

Bree, I bet you'd love snowboarding. Too bad your camp doesn't have fun stuff in it like snowboarding/skiing and surfing (in the same day). Yes it's possible on Vancouver Island! It may not be Costa Rica, but I would say we have a unique climate that allows for skiing/surfing/golfing/sailing at the same time. Just be open to what the island has to offer, it's a magical place, in its own way.

January 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

great post, Bree. Although we are all at different overall levels, we can all identify to starting at our bottom. Keep it up!

January 9, 2009 at 2:08 PM

 
Blogger Costa Rica Baby! said...

It's your Costa Rica amiga...I thought I'd check out your blog. Looks GREAT! I'm very impressed.

Shawna

January 9, 2009 at 3:38 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Bree, I hope your one workout day was a great one for you. You had a lot of work this last week and started after a few days of flying 1000s of miles. I know you will start to feel the hard work paying off and the speed will start increasing again. Your coach and friends are behind you 100% believing in what you can accomplish this year!!! And it is all going to be great!!!

January 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Bree, you will no doubt have the news of the biggish earthquake in Costa Rica. Just remember that you can make a difference to these people. I hope you can get there soon and bring clothing and comfort to them. Enjoy the final days of the camp.

January 9, 2009 at 9:35 PM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

Sorry Bree.....I wasn't thinking of you while Adam Sandler's sweat was dripping off his hairy body during our basketball game weeks back!! I didn't want to guard him it was so nasty!! So I was on his team!!

BTW- he says hello and hopes you find a penguin for a pet someday!!

January 10, 2009 at 1:14 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Don't be too hard on yourself, Bree. We are all behind you and we know that you will get the job done.

January 11, 2009 at 11:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home