Aloha!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lovin' The Locker Room...

NOT REALLY! I do not love locker rooms, but it sure feels like I am living in one!

With so many workouts in a day and all this pool time I have taken WAY more showers in the locker room than in a house! It's really bad.

Tuesday morning we had an entire 8 minutes in the locker room!

After 2hrs of hilly hellacious running we had 8 minutes till the 5k swim. Coach was acting like a little kid at Christmas hurrying us up to get in the pool. Famished and cold from the run we weren't exactly eager to rip off the long sleeve run clothes and jump in the ice bath (I mean pool). But 8 minutes later we were out of jackets and shoes, into little swim suits, on the pool deck half downing whatever food we can find (welcome back to the bars!), and then into the pool.

The swim was totally survival for me... Mentally no worries, after that darn 6k followed up with 7,500m the next day I knew I would live. BUT it was so ugly. I was swimming backwards and I know coach wanted to laugh at how ugly it was. I begged to use the buoy. We had this set with the tempo trainers, breathing some pattern that meant I had to breathe to the left (I am a right side breather), and paddles, it was just too much for my brain... trying to get a rhythm kicking, while listening to beep beep beep beep beep, and breathe! So I begged for the buoy, just to hold my tired bum up! I could not believe he said yes! He is not usually that nice about changing up the workout...

After the kick set I dragged my lifeless body out of the pool and back into the locker room...

A ride. Then a second run off the bikes. Then more of the locker room... LOVE IT!

This morning I got to hang out in the locker room at 5:15 am (pre-swim)! Then again at 7:05 am after the swim! That was fun...

Today was my best swim of the camp. Everything in me hurt. My body has been beaten to a pulp this camp. Janet was hot on my heels and coach made me lead the lane so I had no choice but to drag, push, pull, my bum up and down the pool so she wouldn't run me over. I have to thank her for keeping me going and helping me set some personal long meter swim best times. (thanks Coach J).

Now a run. Then back to the locker room, YAY!! A second swim, another shower in the locker room, then a bike ride. The bike will be FUN. We have a sweat test. The plan is to ride and while sweating we get swabbed and stuff to find out what we are losing in our sweat, how much we sweat, and then find a plan to replace what we lose... I can hardly wait for this test!

Almost Friday... I can smell the sand and sun. If you need to find me over the weekend I will be at the beach dethawing from this training camp!

Oh, thought I would share one of the early season rides with you, in case you want a mini set for the bike. There are a couple goals for the ride... one is to build strength (imagine a hill) and the second is to work on cadence (in case you hid yours over the holidays like I did).

  • 15 minutes spin warm up
  • Single leg drills (as warm up, keeping each leg at 90 rpms)
  • 15/5 as 15 min. over gear (low cadence, about 55) to build leg strength, then 5 minutes easy spin (90rpms), then 10/5, and 5/5
  • The mini main set to fire up the cadence was 5x6 minutes as (2min. at 100rpm, 2min at 105, then 2 min. at 110) repeat 5x with 2 minutes easy spin at 90rpms between each set. the goal is to also choose a gear that you will KEEP for the entire 5x6 while increasing your cadence.

There ya go, now you can join in the Lifesport Canada Camp from your own trainer... oh, make sure you jump off your bike and run in the COLD at 7:15pm too! Then hit the locker room...

.



16 Comments:

Blogger ADC said...

Wow, that sounds tough. But you are doing great Bree. I bet you can't wait for some nice warm weather!

January 14, 2009 at 7:22 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Don't forget the swims! The swimming! We have to add another 5k X 2 of swimming, right?!?! You're doing GREAT Bree - hang in there! It sounds incredibly hard, challenging, and tiring. Exactly what will make this next season your best! Cheers!

January 14, 2009 at 7:29 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

Love that locker room smell and living out of a duffle bag, the best. My friends actually call me THE duffle bag. What can you do!? Sounds fun in that twisted good kind of way!

January 14, 2009 at 7:48 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

This schedule sounds just brutal. So tell me...are your normal training days at home like that too? Was this camp a swim focused trip? You are going to be in amazing shape!
and thanks for the nice comment on my blog :)

January 14, 2009 at 8:01 AM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

but Bree...only you did the single leg drills. haha.lol. Shelley and I started laughing when we walked out the door and it was still dark out this morning AFTER we were done swimming. Janet motivated you to swim fast and all of you guys motivated me to keep up too...and yesterday morning too. see you soon.

January 14, 2009 at 8:13 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Bree, you are kicking BUTT (and getting your butt KICKED!). Sounds like you are really getting some solid training time in, I am so happy for you! Somehow, I don't envy the runs in the cold...I HATE running in the cold. Thanks for sharing the trainer workout, I'm always loving good trainer workouts to adapt for spin class!

Keep it up, girl, you're doing awesome!

January 14, 2009 at 8:38 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Wow what a schedule you are following. Sounds like doing an IM everyday that you are there. Way to hang in there and step it up to accomplish a PR in the pool!!!
A few more days and you will get to thaw out, I am sure you are looking forward to it, but thanks for sharing all of your training and experiences with us while in Victoria!!
You are an inspiration for all of us :)

January 14, 2009 at 8:59 AM

 
Blogger D said...

You know, it's really been pretty warm this week so I don't know what your problem is :P

January 14, 2009 at 9:55 AM

 
Blogger greyhound said...

Ha! My volume is probably only half what yours is, and I still find myself going all week without showering at home.

January 14, 2009 at 11:50 AM

 
Blogger TriSaraTops said...

Those are some great workouts! I am tired just reading about it!

Gotta love the locker room showers. I usually am getting out of the pool at the same time as a high school girls' swim team so I really have to fight for warm water!

January 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

How on earth do you have the energy to blog after doing ALL that to your body? I'd be mush. Scratch that. I couldn't do a tenth of any of those workouts.

January 14, 2009 at 2:17 PM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Wish I could come to camp - it sounds awesome. Hard, and exhausting yes, but you will go home so much stronger!

January 14, 2009 at 2:17 PM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

hahaha. that was such an appropriate comment for a post about the locker room. I wonder who lost the undies...we'll never know.

January 14, 2009 at 5:33 PM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

I do think it's harder to do things in the cold than it is in warmer temps (I just got back from Minnesota and saw single digit temps for the first time in my life!).

Hang in there for a couple more days and you'll be home. Sorry I missed seeing you over the holidays!

January 14, 2009 at 5:54 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

I remember those swim team days of 2 a day workouts and my mom joking that the upstairs shower had not been on in months.

You are kicking butt lady. I am far from those types of workouts, but then again, I am slow and just an age grouper. That bike sweat test sounds super interesting. Let us know how it goes. I just might inflict one of those trainer sets on my indoor cycle group in the morning. I am sure that they will love me for it.

January 14, 2009 at 6:20 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

I need a rest just reading what you did! Wow, I can not even imagine how my body would feel after that.

January 14, 2009 at 10:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home