Aloha!

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mai Tai & Argon... what a mix!

In the paper this week there was a story about the "Hawaiian Mai Tai". It's really from Tahiti and in Tahitian it means, "The very best-out of this world!" Personally, I'm not a mai tai kind of girl, however, "the very best-out of this world" is something I discovered this morning...

After a few days of getting my bike all set up & 3 hours of getting specially fit (that counts as a trainer ride!) my beloved Argon 18 was ready to ride. For the past month it has taken up much of my day dreaming, similar to a school girl with a crush...

Today was the day, our first date! The Saturday group ride would be the perfect spot to see how "Antonio" handles his own against the roadies. It was time to find out if he is aggressive, responsive, smooth, you know all those lovely traits a tri-girl admires...

It was LOVE at FIRST ride! Usually my focus is on the ocean, the lava, the palm trees, or talking up a storm... not today... my entire attention was consumed by "riding" my bike. Every pedal stroke felt like it went into the bike, moving it forward, not just losing energy out the back or up a creek or something like that...

Like any group ride there are break aways, some sprints, a few aggro men, and whatever else someone is dealing with on a Saturday morning. Today however was just plain fun. To top it off the group broke into a few packs and our lead pack became 6 climbing a hill. One gets dropped, another pops a spoke, and a few miles later we would lose 2 guys to flats, and another to help with the flats... all that was left was me and Antonio. He survived the break aways, pace line punches, the flats, and didn't pop any spokes...

He's a keeper.

The mystery was solved... the "18" in Argon 18 holds true! Argon is one of six naturally occurring noble (or rare) gases and this bike is totally rare as I have never been on anything like it! Certainly mai tai or out of this world.

To top off the incredible ride was a burrito! Kona has a new burrito kitchen (opened 4wks ago). It's totally got that "hole in the wall" atmosphere, which usually translates to "really good food". AND it was! I'm claiming it as one of my new favorite post-ride/pre-run fuel...

Thanks a heap Jimmy for showing me the new burrito hang out! Tell your wife I owe her $2 (talk about a cheap burrito!)

Happy Riding!

.



24 Comments:

Blogger tinaparker87 said...

Need to win the LOTTO to make more trips to Kona!

Your new bike is way cool!

Your arms look great in the pic!

January 31, 2009 at 10:02 PM

 
Blogger MJ said...

The bike looks sick!

...so does the burrito.

Cheers,

January 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM

 
Blogger MJ said...

That's the good "sick"....

January 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

It is absolutely fantastic when all the guys get "chicked" on a ride. Congratulations on your new ride!

February 1, 2009 at 3:41 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

I LOVE the bike....and sounds like it is ready to face the hills(Beast) in St. Croix:) I have to agree...WOW your arms are looking ripped!!

February 1, 2009 at 4:17 AM

 
Blogger Curly Su said...

your arm muscles are amazing. i'd say i was jealous, but i know you work for them. :)

enjoy antonio!

February 1, 2009 at 4:27 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

I was thinking the same thing...LOOk at those arms!! Holy @#$*, Bree! You look great! Oh, it may just be quite the season, my friend...I can't wait.

Sweet bike! Glad you had a great day!

February 1, 2009 at 4:35 AM

 
Blogger Melissa said...

Wow. Awesome ride on your awesome new bike. Simple as that!

That burrito looks really really good. Yuuummmmmyyyy.

February 1, 2009 at 4:37 AM

 
Blogger Natalie said...

I agree on the comment about your arms! That was the only thing I saw in that pic! You're looking in tip-top shape for the coming season.

I think we have the same affinity for burritos. It's morning here and I'm wanting a burrito for breakfast now! :-)

Thank you for your encouragement the other day! It helped tremendously and I got my planned workout in. It's really amazing how far a little encouragement can take you. Many Mahalos to you!

February 1, 2009 at 4:54 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Hey, where is this new burrito place? I must try it when I'm back there in April.

Maybe I'll see you out on the roads on a Saturday group ride. Learned to ride in a pace with Grant of Bike Works last visit -- FUN!!!

February 1, 2009 at 5:02 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Awesome! Glad Antonio's exceeding your wildest dreams!

February 1, 2009 at 5:33 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

I agree with one of the previous comments - your arms look totally cool in that photo. Nice bike ;-)

February 1, 2009 at 5:52 AM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

Thanks for the message Bree! We had a nice small ceremony in Winnipeg, Manitoba Friday for her and lots of reminiscing on the wonderful/funny/classic grandma fey quotes. She was a wonderful lady...and that pic...we threw all those dress-up items on her to take that. lol. I was supposed to go to Mexico for a wedding yesterday, but we were traveling back from the funeral so that trip got delayed till tonight. Voy a hablar mucho espanol y comer la comida mexicana auténtico...y voy a ir a la playa naturalmente. 8 planes and 3 countries in 4 days (oy vey as my gma would've said).

ps. I just signed up for Boise 70.3!
pps...it was -8F in Winnipeg when we got there. My nose hairs froze when we walked out of the airport (feels like sticky boogers up in your nose).
ppps...congrats on your first date with Antonio! The Diva isn't coming to Mexico but I'll find a spin bike at the hotel gym.

February 1, 2009 at 7:27 AM

 
Blogger rr said...

Hurray for a new bike!! Nothing is more fun. He's a beautiful one, so glad you had fun and spanked all the boys up the mountain!!

That burrito looks awesome. I had a post ride soy latte.. it's just not the same. Next Kona trip (March 28th, I think!) you must show me :)

February 1, 2009 at 11:50 AM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

Glad you love the new bike. Nothing like a new toy to play with. Especially, when it is as cool as it appears.

Make sure I get the name of the new burrito hangout. :)

February 1, 2009 at 12:28 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Antonio looks like a sweet ride.

February 1, 2009 at 2:46 PM

 
Blogger Shan said...

OMG LOOOOVE the bike!!! Sounds like you had an amazing ride :) YAY!!

February 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Hooray for an excellent ride, great food, and teaching us about what the 18 means! :) You two are going to smoke every bike course this year!!! :)

February 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM

 
Blogger D said...

Did I just see something about a March Kona trip? I'm gonna crash it! hehe

Lookin hot lady! And I meant you, but Antonio is pretty sexy too.

February 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM

 
Blogger beth said...

yes! you might be the only person besides me who could eat that before a run and be fine!

the bike is BEEEEEEEUUUUTIFUL! you two will have so much fun together...oohh la la antonio!!!

February 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Well done!! Your new bike looks HOT!

February 1, 2009 at 10:24 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Glad to hear you and Antonio are getting along so well. That ride sounded killer and your new "boyfriend" stayed with you all the way - Good job, Antonio. Oh, is that the heaviest burrito ever or do you just have some massive guns now? Stay fast.

February 2, 2009 at 7:58 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 2, 2009 at 7:58 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

Man this made me really excited to get my tri bike (it should be here any day!). And that burrito looks insane.. only $2??? that is dangerous!!

February 2, 2009 at 9:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home