Aloha!

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sleeping in Seattle...

Kainoa looking for a shell for me...

If life went the way I wanted it too I would be in Hawaii, on a beach towel, with Kainoa, getting some sunshine... but life (mine anyways) is more of a comedy and I think I had the lead role yesterday & today...

4am Wake up!

6am Flight is canceled BUT I am re-booked for one at 11am. No worries, that is only 5hrs, I will eat, play on the computer, get some work done on the computer that coach wanted me to do, email my entire family, and people watch. Thought about calling coach to come get me but feared that would lead to more swimming...

10:30am they cancel my flight. I wait in a LONG line. Katya is now at the airport wondering who the girl in the crazy American flag shoes is, it is ME! Still here Katya...

2 hours later, in another line Lisa enters the airport... yep, Lisa I skipped swimming to wait in line. She told me I missed 3k all out (now I am wondering what is worse... I would rather have swam at this point)

3rd flight fogged out. Okay... lunch time, read blogs, talk on the phone...

Now I am on the 3:30 flight.

Now I am on the 5:30 flight.

Now the 5:30 flight is late. By this time I am so hungry (airport food was not working for me), I am about to fall asleep, and my clothes stink. Thank God for the computer to play on ALL DAY! The airport has been my shelter for over 12 hours by this point, half a day of my life spent in the airport.... it wasn't that fun but life could be worse...

5:45pm I am on the plane! YES! After nearly 13 hours I was on a plane! Still not too mad, I was at least happy my plane was not one that landed in the Hudson River.

Touch down Vancouver! By this time my eyes are rolled back in my head and I am getting grumpy. I roll my luggage and bike box to the customs to check it in AGAIN. A woman asks me what is in the box? I tell her a bike pump, helmet, shoes, and a coat. No bike, I am leaving it in Canada. She makes me open it. She asks where is my bike? I told her (again) no bike, I am leaving it in Canada. Then she asked me what is in there.... I show her BIKE PUMP, HELMET, SHOES, she asks where my bike is.... I am about to cry. NOT IN THE BOX. Again, "why no bike, what's that bike pump for?" Okay... it must be a dream, did she really ask again what is in there and where the bike is? She finally asks if I have any co's, NO. I pack it back up and head away from customs in a hurry.

Now at passport check... the woman looks at me up and down and up again. (I must look a mess). I tell her I am really tired, been traveling (or sitting) all day. She tells me my name is interesting. Looks at me more, looks at the passport, tells me my name is "really" interesting. By this point every woman is driving me crazy! I tell her that her face is interesting. She didn't hear me, at least I hope not. I felt so bad for thinking out loud....

Now to Seattle, home of coffee and all I want is a burrito. Walking through the airport I weigh my options... get a hotel and sleep in a bed (my next flight was 11 hours later) or hang out for another 11 (or 13 hours) in the airport. I hear coach in my head "DON'T be cheap!". I get the hotel and I even pay 12 bucks to leave my luggage at the airport in security so I don't have to lug them on the shuttle to the hotel. I find a burrito too. No coffee. Just the burrito.

I get on the first shuttle with my burrito in hand (burrito's are my FAVORITE food and make everything better). My fingers are crossed that the shuttle goes to a good hotel (I have no reservation) and that the hotel has a room... PLEASE...

The hotel is clean, open, and has a room! Life is good.

The hotel forgot to call with my wake up call, the alarm never went off, thankfully I got a wake up call from a friend and a text from my sister...

Made the shuttle to the airport by 2 seconds! Today was already looking better...

Back to the airport. The woman at the counter looks at me (my jeans have holes in them, but I like them that way, it's the style), I am sure she is thinking I look like a train wreck. Seriously... what is up with airport women? (no offense). Then she smiles and decides my luggage will be free today! Thank you savings of $200!! Then she decides to put me in FIRST CLASS! (not kidding). Maybe she liked my jeans after all...

So here I sit, the plane is on it's way. Just ate another burrito! Did I mention I love them? They are my favorite food ever...

By the time I get to Kona it will have been well over 35 hours of airport experience for me. I must send a HUGE thank you to everyone that blogs. Most of my layovers, waiting, delays, plane changes were spent reading every single blog I could find. My life lacks the time to do that so it was actually pretty fun...

If life goes the way I hope it does, I will get to Hawaii in about 7 hours from now. At 1:10pm (Hawaii time) I will be hugging Kainoa. Then Jamba Juice at the beach, maybe a sunset, then I plan to sleep another 24 hours!

Maybe I should swim too...
Oh, they are calling for my plane... I am getting on! Bye-bye Seattle Airport!

.



31 Comments:

Blogger Bob Almighty said...

First class! Damn girl you know how to travel....

maybe that'll be me one day...

On the airport thing I never really had many complaints except for having to strip to go through security and the one time they lost my bags at JFK, I guess the excitement of the destination makes me less bitchy about the journey...good luck and enjoy that Hawiian sun for me..

January 17, 2009 at 6:22 AM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

Wow - just thinking about the lines in airports stress me out. But that is by far the #1 place to people watch. You never know who (what what) you are going to see! And by the way..where is the bike? :)

Safe travles!

Chloe

January 17, 2009 at 7:08 AM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Welcome to my world the last 2 years...I felt bad that all I said to you at the airport was, "well, it happens, you'll get there eventually" and walked over to board my flight! I too have had to overnight in a random Seattle hotel! Horizon/Alaskan is the worst for cancelling flights! At least you got the upgrade...I have yet to be so lucky! Maybe I need holes in my jeans...
Can't wait to join you on the beach in a few short weeks!!
Lisa

January 17, 2009 at 7:17 AM

 
Blogger Running~Jordan said...

haha your face is interesting :) That's a great one!

January 17, 2009 at 7:50 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Tis the season for flight delays and cancellations. I too am thankful for blogs to make time go by fast in airports. SWEET that you got into First Class!!

January 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

oh man. what an ordeal!! So worth it once you hug Kainoa!! I'm' still laughing about the lady's interesting face.:)

January 17, 2009 at 9:23 AM

 
Blogger Eric said...

Damn girl. Way to stick it out. Good Karma also with the first class and free luggage.........but where is your bike?

Don't forget Facebook. Facebook takes up internet surfing time also....like a black hole.

January 17, 2009 at 9:32 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

Holy crap that sounded BRUTAL! But you're making it! Almost therrrreee! :) That's one way to get updated on all the blogs teeheeee

I hate airport food too - blech!!

January 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM

 
Blogger Colleen S said...

Bree sorry I didn't know you were bound for Seattle. I could have put you up and taken you you our favorite burrito spot! Glad your almost home in the warm sunshine!

January 17, 2009 at 10:29 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Hopefully you are reading this at home. Woo hoo. Glad that at least you got first class.

January 17, 2009 at 11:13 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

I hope if you are reading this you are with Kainoa now. At least you got 1st class out of the thing and some free luggage, but my goodness...:)

January 17, 2009 at 11:29 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Oh man is that a rough go of it Bree!! Hope you are on the beach right now though...enjoying time with Kainoa and the SUN that you've been missing for the past 2 weeks... :)

By the way, I LOVE burritos too. You are right, they do make everything all better...

January 17, 2009 at 11:32 AM

 
Blogger MarkyV said...

i'm picking you up at the airport... then guess where we're going... yep... that's right... THE POOL!!!!!!

:)

i think a 3k all out will shake the flight outta yer system quick. hehehehe

January 17, 2009 at 12:25 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

OHmYgosh! That's brutal! Hang in there - you can sleep on the flight with the extra comfy seats, and then you'll be home! Yea! Safe travels (from Seattle to Kona!)

January 17, 2009 at 1:21 PM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

oh bree...if only I had gone home yesterday instead of today I could've picked you up at the SeaTac airport and you could've stayed in my new teeny tiny apartment for free for a night. maybe next time...but hopefully there won't be a next time that you get stuck for 24 hours. I had fun this week! see you again soon hopefully!...and I'm about to post a picture of my balls for Coach J. hahahahaha

January 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

Freakin' great post Bree, glad you spent the time and energy describing the whole story as I'm sitting in a hotel room killing time until the marathon tomorrow. Been waiting for a post of that sort, doesn't it feel good to come home after you travel? Especially if home is in Hawaii, you lucky dog!

January 17, 2009 at 2:14 PM

 
Blogger Mama Simmons said...

Welcome home, Bree! After all that, I'm sure you're really looking forward to squeezing Kainoa!! :)

January 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Poor Bree. And all you want to do is be home. Loved the part about the lady with the bike box and "why no bike?, why the pump?". Too funny...your face is interesting.

January 17, 2009 at 4:11 PM

 
Blogger rr said...

What a nightmare! I cannot believe all that travel.. it must have been good for your endurance though!

And first class.. man, it should always be that way, shouldn't it?

LOVE the new bike. And did you know Antonia Sabato Jr is filming a dating show in Kona right now? Maybe it's time to start? just kidding! But seriously.. he's latin american, cute, and matches your new bike's name..

welcome home!!

January 17, 2009 at 4:21 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That is some serious airport time girl. You're endurance on all fronts!

LOVE the new bike...it's fast just sitting there. Can imagine how zippy it is with you in the saddle.

Hope you and Kainoa are hitting the beach and catching up on lots of hugs.

January 17, 2009 at 4:38 PM

 
Blogger Jessi said...

Bree, consider this yet another offer for a place to stay in Seattle. We have a spare bedroom and bathroom and would've happily provided transportation. You really should tap the blogland network next time you are stranded somewhere!

January 17, 2009 at 4:58 PM

 
Blogger PJ said...

Wow, what a nightmare!

Here's hoping you made it home safe and sound and are enjoying some down time!

January 17, 2009 at 6:59 PM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

I am so sorry you got stuck in our wonderful seattle weather. Glad you made it back home with Kainoa. Congrats on the new bike sponsor, you deserve it!

January 17, 2009 at 8:37 PM

 
Blogger TriSaraTops said...

Oh NO! What a pain.

And I agree 110%. Burritos ALWAYS make everything better.

January 18, 2009 at 8:30 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Oh my, you did REALLY well with all of that! Welcome home and relax a little now :)

January 18, 2009 at 10:53 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Bree,

First class is awesome. I wonder if the lady who gave you the upgrade and the free bike box charge does triathlons and really knew that you were "The Amazing Tri Momma--Bree Wee". We will never know. Catch up on some sleep and have a blast on the beach with Kainoa.

January 18, 2009 at 11:46 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

The realities of traveling (at least in cold climates)! I wonder how many push-ups you got done in between sending emails. Still, I hope you did not feel you had "lost" all the fitness you had gained in two weeks after going through all that.

January 18, 2009 at 1:58 PM

 
Blogger Tri-ing Fat Man said...

ugh!

I love people watching, but that . . . yuck.

When traveling from New Orleans to Hawaii in 2006 - we were re-routed through Chicago in stead of directly to LAX. That too was a long day.

Be Brilliant!

January 18, 2009 at 2:44 PM

 
OpenID sbrtv said...

Your welcome Bree. :-)

Glad you made it back to Hawaii without crashing into any rivers on the way.

January 20, 2009 at 9:25 AM

 
Blogger Shawn and Tracy said...

What a crazy time in the airport. Happy you made it home to the sun and your sun ;-)
Tracy

January 21, 2009 at 4:58 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

That's the funniest airport story I've read in a while. Or wait! Was it not supposed to be funny?

January 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home