Aloha!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Training Camp Day #4

Every single muscle, joint, bone, and inch of skin was sore this morning (maybe 2 swims and a run in a single day will do that to you). The alarm went off and I got up...

Time to run! Despite the fact we were running in SNOW not SAND it was pretty adventurous for this island girl... about 12 of us ventured out for 90 minutes. The entire time I wished I had my camera! Some of the views were priceless and I soon found myself in a pack of 4-5 runners that I wished I could take home to run with me all the time. Katya, Lisa, Coach Dan, and Mags were such good company and before long we had covered nearly 12 snowy miles. You forget your face is freezing off and your toes are numb when the company is so good.

About 20 minutes later we were at Commonwealth Pool...

Standing at the edge of that LONG pool made my already sore arms hurt just by looking at it. A promise I made to myself was that no matter how bad I was hurting I had to suck it up...

Today was by FAR the BEST worst swim of my life!! I have had a lot of bad swims (usually at camp when I am dead tired), but today was different. The aches and pains and suffering I was going to conquer. Literally it felt like I was trying so hard, giving every bit of effort my lifeless arms had yet I was going no where. The rule I made for myself was I could not say a single negative thing (like I am tired or my arms ache). I was just going to break it up meter by meter if I had to... when my lane mates started to pull away my meter by meter rule became inch by inch (just get through it).

Just about the time I was going to snap we got to the draft set. I LOVE drafting, it is something important to practice and it helps pull you along when you are fading. I needed this set because leaving 10 seconds apart when you are suffering takes a mental beating too. Heather took off first, then Shelly (who we all rule as having the BEST draft ever because her arms are massive and her kick creates a nice wake to ride), then the rest of our lane. I decided to claim Shelly as my draft and I was not going to let go of her feet for ANYTHING. If I did I knew there was a good chance I would drown. Well, I was really mean... Shelly went around Heather and rather then be nice and let Heather in on her feet I clung to Shelly's feet for dear life and ended up ramming Heather into the lane rope. It was all my fault, I take full blame, and I think I must have rammed her right into the other lane because I didn't see her the rest of the 400. I felt pretty bad about that one actually (I did apologize), but sinking or swimming depended on it and I figure it was good practice for open water racing...

After the pull set coach pulled me out (maybe it was punishment for that mean swimming). He told me to warm down. I was really upset with him, the workout was 5k and I had only finished 4,100 meters of it, I was determined to finish. He was saving me from myself. After having done nothing for 2wks with the sprained ankle then being sick he didn't want to kill me or make anything any worse...

People like me need a coach...

FINALLY lunch! I am convinced Canada has the best salmon in the world. It is so fresh (Coach Bruce catches it himself!) Since arriving in Canada I have eaten salmon EVERYDAY! And today was the best... salmon soup fresh made by Coach Paul's mom Marsha! Soup on a cold day... that's what I am talking about!

Then a QUICK nap.

Eat more.

And back to Commonwealth for a bitter sweet 2hr trainer session! I pedaled next to Heather and she let me pick her brain some, having her on Lifesport Team and at this camp has been such a great experience getting to know her better. And I am not kidding, even when things are sucking she just keeps smiling and cheering, you can tell this sport is her passion. And across from me was Sabrina... we got to talking about Costa Rica and that got my heart rate up! About that time Coach Lance told me to STOP TALKING.

Finally... a run off the bike. I was retained. Coach kept me in from the rain and cold to save me again, from myself, and getting more sick... so I had to spin more... nice and easy...

AND that was the LONGEST I have ever sat on a trainer in my ENTIRE life! I am highly convinced you go through more fluids indoors than outdoors!

8:27pm... dinner (fresh caught salmon in case you are curious) is going to be ready in 10 minutes... THEN BED!

Swim practice starts at 5:15 am tomorrow...
GOOD NIGHT!



20 Comments:

Blogger Maggs said...

Looks like you are having fun...though I'm not sure about the 2 hour trainer session. That salmon soup looks good...any chance you can get a recipe for me?

January 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM

 
Blogger Marty said...

Check out Jordan River just west of Victoria for some good surf. Bring a drysuit too, hee, hee

January 6, 2009 at 7:15 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Wow. Really? That's what camp is like. The fact that you even have energy to write a cohesive story about your day is just incredible. Keep it comin Bree! Good stuff!

January 6, 2009 at 8:39 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

I am still stuck on the fact that you run in snow!!!

Although I might even put up with that for the salmon soup - it looks great!

January 6, 2009 at 9:12 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Wow, that soup looks great. And you are right - I always drink (and eat unfortunately)more when I ride indoors.

January 6, 2009 at 11:48 PM

 
Blogger Missy said...

Consensus, good job but can you get us the soup recipe:)? Ha, way to go, a trainer is tough on a good day!

January 7, 2009 at 2:02 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Holy moly! I'm attending a 4-day tri camp in early February and if it's even 1/16 as unbelievable as what you are doing, I will probably come home in a body bag! LOL! I was 'assured' that it was beginner friendly. :o)

That soup looks awesome!

January 7, 2009 at 2:21 AM

 
Blogger Kona Shelley said...

Niiice pool! You are lucky girl.

January 7, 2009 at 2:42 AM

 
Blogger Kellye Mills said...

Wow! Talk about getting right to it in Jan! Good luck. Hang in there, and get lots of SLEEP! Oh... and have fun! :)

January 7, 2009 at 2:53 AM

 
Blogger j-mo said...

"You forget your face is freezing off and your toes are numb when the company is so good."
haha.. Bree, you kill me! Victoria is like the "Hawaii of Canada" Its mild there!!!
Enjoy camp, and don't drive coach too crazy!

January 7, 2009 at 3:25 AM

 
Blogger Dave said...

Definitely more fluids indoors! I always feel like I can't drink enough on the trainer.

January 7, 2009 at 4:03 AM

 
Blogger Meredith said...

Don't OD on Mercury (in the salmon!!) seriously, just monitor your intake.....

January 7, 2009 at 5:02 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

Wow...fun hard stuff. Love it. trainer rides...ahhh...I'm up close adn personal with those my dear. Long and boring...and definately WAy better when done with friends! Great work Bree.

January 7, 2009 at 5:08 AM

 
Blogger Carole Sharpless said...

Keep ramming Gollnick into swim lanes. She can take it! ;)

Hugs to all of you. Have some fun!
Sharpie

January 7, 2009 at 6:11 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Love your "no negative comments" - that is so huge mentally! Awesome job Bree - keep having fun :)

January 7, 2009 at 7:26 AM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Nice work, getting her back for me from IM Lou and pulling on my legs! HA! Hope you guys aren't missing me to much, hahaha ;-) Have a great camp!! Hi to Janet, Katya, Sammy, and others from me!

Happy New Year to you too...

E

January 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM

 
Blogger D said...

I did a 4 hour trainer ride early(ish) last year. That was good times. Pfffft. I believe you are getting a good understanding of my insane will to move.
That soup looks delicious though. Let the cooks know I'll be there Sunday to take part in it! haha

January 7, 2009 at 2:16 PM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Congrats on the swim! And then 2 hours on the trainer?!? TORTURE!!

January 7, 2009 at 5:48 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

So... a 50 meter pool look loooong, but a 2.4mi one doesn't? :-)

January 8, 2009 at 2:04 AM

 
Blogger Glen said...

keep going hard.

January 8, 2009 at 1:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home