Aloha!

Monday, February 23, 2009

18 Miles in my mind...


There is something so special about running. Maybe it is the way you can take a break from the rest of the world and let the mind totally clear. Perhaps it is how you can feel absolutely beautiful even when you smell of sweat & melted gels and look like you jumped out of a swimming pool then were hit by a hurricane... Running is amazing. Simply amazing.

Yesterday was 18 miles of mind clearing bliss. 18 miles of random thoughts. 18 miles that deserved a burrito at the beach with my son when I was finished...

18 miles in my head went something like this...

It is darker than black. I will have run more miles this morning by the time 6am rolls around than most people will run all week. Please God don't let me trip and fall in the dark, coach will kill me if I sprain my ankle again. Maybe Kona would be cool if it had street lights, nah. Hmmm... What beach should I take Kainoa to? Please see me, please see me, please see me- so glad that car saw me, I was not in the mood to be hit by a car. Cool, mile 2. I want a gel already, mile 2 and my head already feels pooped, this is too early for me. I like my outfit, who knew a purple sports bra could look so good with pink and white shorts! Mile 3. Oh, The Harbor House, I could use a cheese burger right now! Man I feel like going on a boat today, maybe one of the fishermen will ask me to go along. I love running to the harbor. I feel fast, what's my HR? Nevermind, can't even see in the dark! Mile 5, sun is coming up! GOOD MORNING AMERICA, I should have been a talk show host. Oh what's this trail: No Tresspassing, cool, I am going to check it out. 2 miles later, oop's BUSTED. Sorry, just running along. Later brah. Energy Lab or Ali'i Drive??? I will run back towards Ali'i, check the surf. Another gel, sure, mmmmm love that tangerine one! Gross, it just went all over my IPOD. I like these shoes. Oh, he's cute. I wish I was running in Playa Hermosa. Kainoaaaaaaaaaaaah.... OH this song is the best! Ooops, mile 10 was 6:40 pace, I blame the song! I wonder if I run to slow songs at the start of a race it would help me start pacing slower... good idea, too bad we can't race with an IPOD. Oh man, 7am and it is HOT! This top needs to come off. Helllllllllooooo Ali'i drive... 7 miles to go. "Hi Harry". "Hi Ron". Gel me up baby! More water please. Surfer boys... it's flat go home. I am glad they can't here me thinking that. My legs feel strong. 6 miles, maybe I should time a mile or 2. 7:15 pace. 7:16 pace. Nice, I like this pace. Honk HONK honk, darn Doug and that big white truck, run with me and quit honking! Turn time baby... 4 miles to go. Oh cool, a birthday party and the woman is making a chicken at 7:30 am... funny. "Hi ladies, looking HOT, keep it up"... I like the reaction the 50 year old ladies give me when I tell them they look hot running down the road. YO YO YO Raul, hi-five me buddy! HI DOUG! 16 down, 2 to go! YAHOOOOOOO. Pick it up chica, what's left? I wonder if this is how Chrissie Wellington feels at the end of a marathon, I wish I felt this good at the end of Ironman! UP UP UP Palani, I must be in a nightmare thinking I should end my last 2 miles up Palani Hill- actaully, this IS good, it will make me TUFF. Cool, I am RUNNING not jogging up the hill. HR- not going to check it. Onto Queen K, love the new side walk. AWESOME sprinklers are on and only a mile to go, consider me IN THEM! Oooop's IPOD wet! Oh good, J Boog is still singing to me, IPOD must be okay. I can not believe 18 miles went by THAT FAST. UNREAL. Nice, a down hill...."PLEASE KNEES HOLD UP". I suck at running down hill. Almost smell the burrito now. What bikini should I wear? Last half mile, RUN FORRST RUN! Homeward bound, see my home. YES! Take that! Okay, now if only the way that run felt could feel like that racing... Time to get my boy from his daddy, get the burrito (food is ON my mind), forget a shower the beach is calling me. I love running...

.



26 Comments:

Blogger t-odd said...

Are we twins separated at birth, because that is exactly what goes through my mind when I run. Well, except for all the Hawaiian words with too many vowels. And the people I don't know. And the fact that it is NOT hot here now. You know, except for thinking about MY purple sports bra and super cute pink and white shorts, it is really nothing like what I think about. Do you ever get sand in your burrito? (I did not mean that in the way it sounded.) Keep on truckin'

February 23, 2009 at 2:04 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Smooth! Wish they could all be that smooth.
Hope you enjoyed your burrito, Kainoa and the beach. You deserve it!!

February 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM

 
Blogger D said...

So if I come there will my runs be as pleasant as this? Man o man. Maybe they can be that fast too.

February 23, 2009 at 2:40 PM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

Thanks for the post! Now I know I'm not the only crazy one with random thoughts out there! The hard part is when I have random thoughs while I'm swimming. Ugh - was that 400? 425? Crap!

Happy running!

Chloe

February 23, 2009 at 2:42 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

Sometimes I wish I knew what I thought about when I ran. It's all over and I wonder what I just did with 90 minutes. Then I realize it was time well spent anyway.

February 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM

 
Blogger Jenna said...

Being inside your head is as random as it is in my thoughts but you sure do love your burritos :) Infact, I think that someone somewhere should come up with a burrito flavoured gel for you and your ipod :)

February 23, 2009 at 3:23 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

awesome post. Running is so good for the soul....

February 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM

 
Blogger TB said...

Nice run!!! Totally owning it for sure.

You are one B.A.D. chica! Get it? HA!


PS: Be careful with the ipod, those things are pricey!

February 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM

 
Blogger Natalie said...

Good...now I feel normal, like I'm not the only crazy person who talks random thoughts to myself!

Way to get in a great run!

February 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Glad you had a great run! Look forward to being back there soon. I have major Kona withdrawals right now with temps dipping down into the 40's every other week it seems (ARGH!).

February 23, 2009 at 4:44 PM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Awesome stream of consciousness. Love it. :-)

February 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM

 
Blogger MJ said...

It's a super interesting post and having just been there I can really picture a lot of it.... especially the woman cooking the chicken and the birthday party.... I feel like that was on the next street over from where we were. Sofas in the driveway 24-7, parties all the time.... tents over picnic tables and tons of kids and friends.... we saw a lot of that.

That made me want to run - and it ain't easy with the rain here - thanks!

Cheers,

February 23, 2009 at 8:23 PM

 
Blogger Kona Shelley said...

I love your posts! Son inspirational.

February 24, 2009 at 2:33 AM

 
Blogger sallyaston said...

I just love your blog but it is also torture to read about your training in beautiful Hawaii, Ha! :-)

February 24, 2009 at 2:50 AM

 
Blogger Glen said...

I wish I had my beach to finish up at, lucky.

February 24, 2009 at 3:49 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Love it! I think anyone who has ever run long can totally relate to the myriad of random thoughts that run through the mind. Running is so cleansing...

February 24, 2009 at 4:50 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Awesome post Bree! Thanks for taking us along on your run...I had a blast.

February 24, 2009 at 7:21 AM

 
Blogger Swimming for ME said...

I love the burritos too but good ones are a little harder to come by in Maine...

February 24, 2009 at 2:12 PM

 
Blogger Carolyn said...

I love this post - the running mind is beautiful...and in your case, quite hilarious !! xo

February 24, 2009 at 2:52 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

LOVE IT!

February 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM

 
Blogger beth said...

seriously awesome post miss bree....SOOOO what goes through my mind too (Especially the outfit stuff- sometimes i dwell on if i HATE my outfit and people are looking at me becuase my outfit is ugly. i'm not kidding i am that crazy). and the burrito talk- love it! i always make lists of like my next 3 meals in the head while i run....

have fun at lavacamp...i am so jealous- i need some fast chicas like you guys to help make me fast! i need to get me a coach one of these days..i'm not sure my winging it is going to cut it this year!

anyhow, hope you enjoyed the burrito with your little man...sounds like your week is off to a great start.
xo, b

February 24, 2009 at 7:24 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

random thoughts are why I love longer runs. Although I can't remember what exactly I thought off when I get back. Usually all I remember is breath in 1 2, breat out 1 2!

February 25, 2009 at 4:22 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I think the great thing about a run like this is just proving to yourself that it is not as hard as it seems. I often feel that way when swimming, on a good day, when the flip turns go well and I post some reasonably good times. I was wondering whether you would need to be more careful running in the dark dressed like that, but there again, I doubt if any pursuer would get close to catching you.

February 25, 2009 at 5:12 AM

 
Blogger TriT said...

Love this one hehe, it's so true! The gazzilion thoughts long run. They always do me a world of good, and I wouldn't trade that time with myself for anything ;)

Great post Bree!

February 25, 2009 at 6:44 AM

 
Blogger L. said...

That was so well-written! I loved it! Though I woulda dropped off after mile 6, I was so there.

February 25, 2009 at 7:37 AM

 
Blogger L. said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog. Very cool. You may be right about not dropping off after mile 6 with that kind of scenery to be inspired by.

I e-mailed my husband a job posting in Hawaii and said he should look into it. I really kinda wasn't joking about that. Ha ha.

Have an awesome Wednesday!

- Lora

February 25, 2009 at 1:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home