Aloha!

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Just another ride...


NO joke the winds were the most windy I have ever ridden in my life! By the time I almost "ATE ASPHALT" for the 3rd time I was appreciating the hills. (The hills were off Queen K and not INTO the wind or AGAINST cross winds of 30mph). I went down the hill to the beach, back up the hill, back to the beach, back up, to the beach a few times...



My last time up it was a RACE to get my HR up-up-up, so I pretended I was climbing the "Beast" of St. Croix and was surrounded by the beautiful Caribbean... everything was going smooth till I lost my 3rd water bottle (the full one) thanks to a speed bump! Things took a turn for the better when a car behind me saw the flying water bottle as I was racing up the hill, got it for me, then stopped slightly ahead and waited for me (so I could get it). JUST as I was about to grab it they drive off, only a little in front, arms reached out teasing me with it. I race up the hill faster... the "funny" was over as they kept go-stop-go-faster-go-wait-teased me! Once to the top they actaully got out of the car, held it out, and gave it to me... it was kinda strange, my mind was curious if they were spiking my NUUN punch! I drank it anyway...

Then it was time for PAY BACKS. A tready session where the mission was to run the pace that I was hoping to tackle at GAR. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.... I was ready. Get to the gym (fully fueled on my spiked punch thanks to the folks who teased me up the hill). AND GOSH DARN it only one tready left... the one in front of the mirror... NO WAY. Just can not run on the one staring at my face for an hour... not gonna happen.

Thankfully a woman on a treadmill notices my "Oh man, not this one" and lets me have hers. She gets on, gets off, then says, "Don't like running facing a mirror". Toooooo bad, can't have your tready back...

Jamming along just fine, warming up, and a man gets on the mirror tready. His Ipod BLARING and I am wanting to laugh BUT focus... then he starts drumming on the treadmill! There is a full blown concert in the gym. Now I am laughing, he notices me laughing, I try to turn away. I start laughing so hard I almost wet my pants, I run to the restroom, take a break, (had to make sure if I laugh too hard I won't make an accident). Back on the run, almost time for my first interval... he now is singing FULL blast and waving his hands in the air all while staring in the mirror!!

My mission is to redeem that run. FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS, if I laugh and try to run that fast I will surely fly off the back of the tready. I turn my tunes on SO loud my ears hurt but they block out his singing... the woman next to me gets frustrated with my LOUD tunes and gets off... sorry honey...

I manage to make it through the intervals without wetting my pants or flying off...

After the bike and run with added humor from strangers it's time to get Kainoa from school. AND guess who we see at the juice store....? The treadmill man still SINGING!

Today was unforgettable... nearly being blown off my bike, riding down hill at 4mph thanks to severe head wind, chasing my water bottle up a hill, and getting my own personal serenade on the treadmill... I really need to find training partners...



.



14 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I did a ride on the trainer while watching The View. Then I went to work. I left work so I could go to work. Yep, job #2. I got home at 10pm. Please give me your life.

February 19, 2009 at 11:05 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

That singing waving person is actually most likely me sometimes. I have to work so hard and control myself and not get the hands in the air when a good tune is playing.

February 20, 2009 at 12:03 AM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

Ah! I HATE mirror treadmills! I feel so vaine just staring at myself!

Creepy about the people with the water bottle - but I guess they where just having fun. If that happened around here - the snow birds would probably just pick it up and throw it at us :) Crazy snow birds!

Debating on the new splish suit - check out my new post and let me know what you think!

Happy training! Yeah friday!!

February 20, 2009 at 1:18 AM

 
Blogger FLATOUT JIM said...

I want to know what are you doing running indoors on a treadmill in Hawaii?

February 20, 2009 at 1:52 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Hawaii has some strange people living there.

Was the guy who was a Rock God in his own mind frustrating the woman who thought your tunes were too loud?

February 20, 2009 at 2:25 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

I would like to second Jim's question. But that past was really funny and a great way to wake up. I am still laughing about the crazy treadmill troupe. I will add "potential crazy singing guy" to my ever increasing list of "reasons to not get on a treadmill."

February 20, 2009 at 3:06 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

I have one of those wacky people out in the area where I run. (Outside- old celery fields) She is crazy singing so loud- terribe singer too- she gets behind me and runs the same speed and sings. I now avoid her at all costs... I've said "hi" before and she is like zoned and not all there. It is hilarious nad very strange at the same time. Especially cuz she's always singing - George Michael's I WANT YOU SEX!
Love you & Miss You!

February 20, 2009 at 4:48 AM

 
Blogger Adam Brown said...

You lucky to ride outside...it's going to snow 4-8 inches here. I haven't been outside since IM Florida. It's sad. The trainer is starting to suck!!!

February 20, 2009 at 7:18 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Hold up your thumb next time like a microphone and join in on the concert!!!!

February 20, 2009 at 8:06 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

Tough day at the office, Bree! Dang, I hate riding in cross-winds - I get so agitated and worry that I am going to fall off my bike...knuckles white, teeth grinding - no fun!

Great tready sesh though! Love the singing guy - the world takes all kinds :).

Have a great weekend!

February 20, 2009 at 8:34 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Now I'm laughing - thank you! :) LOVE, LOVE, LOVE you were laughing so hard you had to take a pee break while on the treadmill! Have a great weekend!!

February 20, 2009 at 11:08 AM

 
Blogger beth said...

i love the tready story. such a good good good one....at least you got some entertainment to make the time fly! what's the recipe in your nuun punch (i'm pretty sure it includes nuun and water...but what are the other secret ingredients? YUM!)
oh, and good for you for not giving up on that crazy bike ride...

February 20, 2009 at 2:27 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

I laugh at the dude rocking out on the treadmill only because I've done it before...

Having to battle the Kona crosswinds in training is definitely going to give you an advantage in October.

February 21, 2009 at 8:29 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

I was singing and waving my arms around like that on my trainer this a.m. Two 1/2 hrs in teh basement does that to a girl...but...I was alone! Too funny.
GREAT training day Bree!

February 21, 2009 at 8:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home