Aloha!

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Taking A Challenge...

Hanging with Coach Paul & Travis, my "athlete"...

Challenges excite me. Sometimes we fall face first into a mess and other times we surpass our expectations. One of my favorite jokes is telling Coach Paul that after my triathlon career I want to be a coach for Lifesport. It's so much fun to see his reaction- partly he looks in a panic thinking that even after my sport career he might still have to deal with me and partly he looks concerned for anyone that might ever be my athlete...

Teaching & coaching children was my job prior to triathlon and sometimes that desire to help others and support the dreams of those I care about still runs through my blood. Key word, "sometimes". Most the time swim-bike-running is enough. Plenty.

A few months ago Travis Blanton became a good friend of Lifesport. He then became the manager for a few of the Lifesport girls. Then he asked for a coach. He is a hard working father of 2 and husband. Lacks a lot of time to train but has all these goals in sport. Coach Paul knows of my jokes, but we had an agreement... "after my tri-career". I fully agreed. Sport is still new to me and I've got a lot to learn. Truth be told, I also don't want to coach yet... racing is too much fun still and managing both would never fit in my time frame.

I'm not too sure how the rest unraveled...what happened is, Travis asked for me to coach him and Coach Paul got me started coaching. BUT the deal is NO MORE ATHLETES and coaching Travis has to always take a back seat to my training and racing. Travis agreed, "Fine, let me be her first athlete and make all her mistakes on me"., He didn't even care that his coaching was not top on my to-do list. In a way he is my guinea pig (poor guy).

A couple months ago we had our "coach/athlete" chat. His primary goal was to qualify for Boston. He has run a couple marathons and had a PR of 3:58. I thought not bad, I can work with this...

He went on to tell me that the Boston qualifying time for him was a 3:15... oh boy! Instantly I told him NO PROBLEM, NO WORRIES! That's only like 45 minutes! (secretly I was thinking this coaching job is not for me). No way was I ready to put someone's "dream" into my hands and deal with "let downs" if they don't make it...

I tried to back out, told him I was too busy. He said back, "NO WORRIES", darn guy stole my words! Luckily I had a few months to get him ready. My plan was kill him on the treadmill, find good tunes for his IPOD to use on long runs, make him cry, then tell him he is DOING GREAT! It was so funny. Most days his responses on Training Peaks had me laughing my bum off!

Today was the day. This morning was his marathon... the day he would either get that 44 minute PR and Boston time, or just plain out not get it. (If the later happened I was ready to fire myself).

HE MADE IT!

No joke!! He ran a 3:15.44 and got the Boston qualifying time by 15 seconds! Phewwwwww...

Honestly, I have no idea how coaches can do this job. It was so scary waiting to see how he did and even more nerve wracking waiting to see if a dream was going to come true.

Congrats Travis! See, like I told you ALL along, "No worries". ha ha! Now go take an ice bath and eat a steak!

.



24 Comments:

Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

WOW - Congrats to you BOTH! That's a great PR! Way to go Coach!

February 1, 2009 at 8:05 PM

 
Blogger MJ said...

Holy cr@p! He shaved off 44 minutes? That's pretty awesome! Amazing job both of you....

February 1, 2009 at 8:23 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

44 minutes..that's a pretty good audition...Coach Wee!

On the athletes that would take you as a coach put my name on the short list. I'm currently doing the self coached thing and taking advice from friends and friend who are coaches and pros...unfortunately college tuition takes president over my tri habit...so if you're willing to work for peanuts, or steak, or what ever else I can cook up we might be in business.

February 1, 2009 at 8:36 PM

 
Blogger Meredith said...

Unfortunately, Boston is already closed out for 2009, but he can run it in 2010.

Congratulations to you both.

February 2, 2009 at 3:16 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Well I'd say that's a pretty good start to your coaching career Bree!!! Sounds like a lot of fun -when you really are ready to make that leap you will be awesome! Congrats to both of you!

February 2, 2009 at 4:12 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Great job Bree and great job Travis. Breem you will be a great coach when you decide to do it one day full-time.

February 2, 2009 at 4:38 AM

 
Blogger Natalie said...

Congrats! You will make a great coach - once you're done being a great athlete! You already inspire so many through sharing your experiences with us!

February 2, 2009 at 4:48 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Harrison said...

OH wooo! Awesome job coach and Travis! Good plan, good execution = results! Now you know why I NEVER sleep from May-October with everyone racing! I am always stressed out!!! HA. :) but, at the end of the day, it is all worth it..and you caught a part of that yesterday! Very awesome indeed. :) I am glad you enjoy it!

February 2, 2009 at 5:09 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Woohoo! How many people have already asked you to coach them?

Wow great work Travis!

February 2, 2009 at 6:17 AM

 
Blogger D said...

Dude, that's awesome... BOTH OF YOU! Congrats!!! :D

February 2, 2009 at 7:35 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Of course you would be a good coach! With that smile and enthusiasm I would gladly do another 10 x 400 at 5K pace. Whatever you say Coach Wee. That is an impressive feat for both of you. Can you help me shave 20 minutes off my marathon time? Should be a piece of cake, right?

February 2, 2009 at 7:54 AM

 
Blogger FLATOUT JIM said...

Was there any doubt that he would qualify with you in his camp? And to get in just under the wire with only 15 seconds to spare. No wasted effort. Good for you guys both.

February 2, 2009 at 8:50 AM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

OMG! That's amazing!! Congrats to BOTH of you!! That's great!!

February 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Fabulous story! I love happy endings! Way to go Coach Bree! And tell Travis he's a superstar!

February 2, 2009 at 9:24 AM

 
Blogger MadisonDuo said...

Way to go Bree, you have everything it takes to be the BEST coach! If I lived in HI and not Wisconsin, I would pick you as my Ironman coach :)

Congratulations to Travis, that is awesome!!!

February 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Awesome!! Congrats to you both!!!

February 2, 2009 at 9:41 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

That is totally awesome - congrats to both you and Travis!!!

February 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

That is super awesome! My athletes always find it funny that their coach has a coach but I tell them that I need someone to hold me accountable and to look in from the outside and see the things that I do not see and help me with them.

You will be an awesome coach when you decide to take on more athletes. Being a mom is a huge benefit. It will give you patient understanding and the gift of nurturing.

February 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

That is a great story, obviously your coaching is great Bree. Thankfully you are not taking on athletes in my age group :)

February 2, 2009 at 6:47 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Yeah for TRAVIS..that is where he has been hiding...tell him I said hello and that I miss his "Checkin in's"

AND good job to you too "coach" now I might need your help to reach my goal:) will you be a taker:) I am a slacker,,,but still want to hit the goal!! Then I will have a reason to meet up with you...see how the mind works!!

February 3, 2009 at 4:04 PM

 
Blogger Damie said...

how completely awesome!!!!! yea!!! that made me feel so good inside. Great job Travis, and great job Bree!!!

February 3, 2009 at 4:49 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart said...

Dear Coach:
Was it 1,500m or 2,500m that I was meant to swim tomorrow? One banana or two afterwards?

February 4, 2009 at 3:27 AM

 
Blogger Jenna said...

Great job Coach and Whoo Hooo Travis :) Any time you want to "practice" your coaching skills on a single mom with two kids who has a few dreams left to realize, not alot of time, but alot of drive when the mood strikes me - you hit my blog and sign me up!!! I love the pool party you had on your balcony and that wee one of yours is just to cute!!! wait til the girls come calling ... its hard not to grab them and hide them fram all those bad little girls ....lol

February 4, 2009 at 7:19 AM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Wow, that's completely amazing! Congrats to both of you!

February 7, 2009 at 4:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home