Aloha!

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Wanna Get Blown Away???

Come to Kona! The winds have been vicious! Not really sure why or what is causing these extra gusts at all times of the day and not sure why they are a bit more wild than usual... something somewhere...

I "attempted" something not-too-bright this morning. With the winds roaring and blowing me all over the road I felt the need to share. (I tried to video it- if I can upload it I will let you hear the roars). No joke, people were turning around early this week on their rides just to "play it smart".

Other than the winds... LAVAMAN IS COMING! Seriously this is one of my MOST favorite races in the world! Not only does it attract some amazing athletes, the course is just fabulous! Here, let me dish it out:

You swim in crystal clear water over coral heads and fish that give an aquarium-like-effect. It is warm as bath water and as beautiful as any tropical island paradise you could imagine. The bike: The Queen K (need I say more?), you can expect some winds on the way back. The run is hot-hot-hot! Everything from coral, lava, dirt, grass, pavement, and sand will be under your feet. Finally, a beach party! The awards party reminds me a lot of the movie "Gidget" where everyone is in bikinis on towels playing at the beach with good food and great people.

Another way you can get blown away (besides the winds and enjoying one of the coolest races) is a training camp. The "Lavacamp". Yep, train on the Big Island and stay for the race! (March 30-April 2) I have gotten a bajillion questions about it and hope I have answered everyone's that emailed me. ONE question stuck out the most....

"Do I have to be fast?"

NO WAY. The Lavacamp is totally for everyone. For sure it may sound intimidating training with a 5-time Ironman winner Heather Gollnick, or taking a ride with the gorgeous Katya Meyers who can drop you like a bad habit on the bike, or swimming with Olympian Lisa Mensink (truth be told that still scares me and I have swam in camps with her BUNCHES), and I will be here too.

The camp is a fun way to escape the trainer and treadmill (if you live in a snowy place). With the pros at the camp you will have a chance to pick their brains on nutrition, pacing, mental tricks, race day stuff, and pretty much anything you want to know... It really is a great opportunity getting to swim along side Lisa, riding with Katya, and running with Heather. The plan is not to "race" the pros during the training sessions (yes we will be with you every step of the way), so no need to worry about keeping up or if you are fast enough. The goal is to help share what we have learned about sport. Imagine swimming with Lisa and wondering how in the world she can get through an Olympic distance swim in 18 minutes! Just ask her for ideas, where to start, ect. That's the plan... to train and have access to some people who care. No, Katya is not planning to drop you up the hills, she will circle back and answer gear and cadence questions.

If you have anymore questions check out full details here: Lavacamp and Lavaman Triathlon

AND finally... the Lavaman is also the BEST OF THE US Qualifier for Hawaii! Seeing the locals gunning for the title of "fastest amateur of Hawaii" is so much fun! I must confess though... I put all my $$ on an Oahuian girl this year... USUALLY I place my bets on a Kona girl and Kona Guy (sorry, totally a Kona pride thing). BUT this year I am claiming Luis Delatorre (Kona guy) and Rachel Ross (Oahuian) as the ones to beat...

Go Rach!

.



21 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

:( I'm not yet sure if I'm coming this year. It's by far my favorite race too.

February 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM

 
Blogger D said...

I'm gonna make Samantha go. I'll drive down to the States, drag her out of her house and onto the plane.
Now, make sure you have room for me on your floor for me to stay ;)

February 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

Sounds way cool. I wish that it was not the same weekend as the Lone Star Tri Festival. I have to be "Coach" that weekend for my athletes.

February 22, 2009 at 2:51 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Sounds a great race and great camp. Must check in out online.

February 22, 2009 at 3:12 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Glad you are having the camp, although I won't be able to make it. I hope Pat gives his lecture on "Swim Etiquette". I am also very sad to miss the MTB clinic in Kona now that I have an MTB, although I don't plan to bike down the temple staircases here, in case I break the bike.

February 22, 2009 at 4:55 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Good timing for your Blog Bree!! Just over a month away for Lavaman and Lavacamp so people can get it on their calender. I feel so lucky to be registered for both the race and the camp. It will be awesome training with all of you pros, and interesting watching you hold back!!!
35 more days, can't wait to ride without a toque, eh.

Hope your doing great!!!!

February 22, 2009 at 6:56 AM

 
Blogger Rory said...

I love all of the big names that are racing this year. (You included). If I wasn't leaving Tuesday, I would be there! I love running in the sand at the end. Good luck this year.

February 22, 2009 at 7:52 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

That sounds AMAZING!!! Hopefully one year!!!

February 22, 2009 at 10:23 AM

 
Blogger James and Lindsay Cotter said...

Thanks for the support Bree!
LC

February 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

It was crazy windy here yesterday too.

February 22, 2009 at 11:32 AM

 
Blogger Jenna said...

ohh...that sounds like fun...maybe someday when my munchkins are a wee bit older. I'll be watching the blog now for updates of how everyone makes out just to see if there are peeps "just like me" partaking or if it is all just fasty pants types :)

February 22, 2009 at 2:29 PM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Lavaman sounds GREAT! Can I come?

February 22, 2009 at 5:05 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Sadly I spent my last dime on airfare to New Zealand...but hopefully I'll have my ticket punched to visit the lava fields in October :)

February 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM

 
Blogger rr said...

Oy.. don't jinx me girlfriend! I'm so excited to come do your race this year! I've heard awesome things. Man do I need to get swimming..

February 22, 2009 at 6:29 PM

 
Blogger IAN said...

If only Kona wasn't fresh out of bikes!

February 23, 2009 at 11:03 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

Does anybody want to sponsor me to come to the Lavaman camp? :) :) hehehehe maybe next year!

Looks like a great race!

February 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Big wind is dangerous...just what high jinx were you up to my friend?

The race sounds like a blast!

February 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Looks fantastic!

February 25, 2009 at 4:14 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Looks fantastic!

February 25, 2009 at 4:14 AM

 
Blogger Paul said...

I did the Swami's ride a few weeks ago. My main goal was to not get dropped by Katya. I did however end up pulling her back up to the back of the pack (along with the rest of the stragglers who got popped off the main group). And she's faster on the run!

February 25, 2009 at 2:11 PM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

Hey Bree! Alright so I finally joined the "blog world." A few of my friends have mentioned your blog, so thought I'd check it out. Great job! Rode Swamii's with Katya this morning and we were talking about her upcoming trip to the BI! Have a blast...I'm super jealous! Would love to come train over there. I am hoping to make it out again for for Honu, and if you're going to be racing there hopefully I'll bump into you. I love reading about other tri chics who have a jam packed life...and succeed at it all! -- Caroline

February 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home