Aloha!

Saturday, March 21, 2009

2 Ice Baths Kinda Day...

Thanks for the ride guys!

Today was the kind of day that felt like the last 6 miles of the marathon of an Ironman. From the moment my legs hit the floor when I rolled out of bed, till this very moment this evening, my legs have begged for help...

This week saw me tackle my first ever successful time trial on the bike in training (where I actually hold my HR for a given time), hills, hills, and more hills. Toss in a few speedy sections, some repeats, a couple bricks, long rides, long runs, long runs after long rides, and there you have the feeling of mile 20 of the Ironman run. If that was the goal coach had in mind: Mission accomplished.

This morning was the group ride, always fun, always painful for this girl. Today was no exception. Except it was more of a "Bree time trialing behind the group" then being in the group ride. After not thinking it was funny time trialing anymore I decided to smash whatever living cells my legs have left by trying to take some pulls. That left me dropped like a bad habit.

Thanks for letting me eat all your food Brooke and taking care of me today!

For breakfast I had an ice bath and all the protein rich foods I could find in my house and my sisters house. Then I didn't move for 45 minutes (not by choice), my legs rejected moving, they rested in the up position trying to get blood and life back.

After compression socks, A recovery meal, a cool down walk through the bike shop, ice bath, elevated legs, rolling my legs, some Tiger Balm, they felt like mile 19 of the marathon in an Ironman (you heard that right, I was one mile better off than before I started).

My hot Hawaiian evening was a sunset...a sunset run! 6 miles, perfect. I am not making this up, the 6 miles felt exactly like the final 6 of an Ironman marathon. 1-4 just plain hurt. There was no picking it up. There was nothing left. Calf cramps, tight quads and hamstrings, sore toes, everything was lifeless. Mile 5 I closed my eyes and wished it was over, and mile 6 it was "just get me home". I am pretty sure that was the plan, to make today mimic that last 6 miles and find a way to do it as best as I can.

Then ice bath number 2.

And now I am CHILLAXIN'... listen to the song, it will make you wish you were on the island, even if you hurt like mile 20!!

I'm considering ice bath number 3...
Night!

.



21 Comments:

Blogger t-odd said...

That was a helluva week. Good work! Enjoy some horizontal time.

March 22, 2009 at 2:37 AM

 
Blogger D said...

I feel quite lazy now.

That video makes me laugh, how they are explaining chillaxin. All us pot heads in BC already know the word well... I think we'd fit in on the islands quite nicely :)

March 22, 2009 at 5:11 AM

 
Blogger Natalie said...

You're awesome, Bree! Reading what you go through for training makes me want to work harder! Thank you for being so open regarding your training and what you go through.

Keep it up!

March 22, 2009 at 5:26 AM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

Wow, sounds like an awesome week of training for you! You are going to kick some butt in your races this year! Now make sure you get in some good rest and recovery while you are chillaxin!

March 22, 2009 at 8:16 AM

 
Blogger Jenna said...

I do not know how you do it ?? Way to go and have fun relaxing and recovering from that beating!!

March 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Well done Bree. I do feel like a complete slob reading this.

March 22, 2009 at 12:03 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Nice workouts Bree!
Go for a hard swim, maybe some IM, and THEN you can have ice bath no. 3!!

March 22, 2009 at 12:24 PM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

WOW....this makes a 1.5 hour bike ride seem like nothing that I have yet to do today. Great job, you are stronger because of all this hard work...or maybe because of the ice baths. Torturous...but feel OH SO GOOD afterward!

Enjoy Chillaxin'(is that your cell phone ringer?) you deserve it!
tn

March 22, 2009 at 2:00 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Way to go on the workouts Bree. Not only did you pull the group, I appreciate you helping me out when I was "not up to speed!!"
Awesome swimmer, awesome biker, awesome runner!! You are in for a great year. Keep up the great work:) You are very inspiring.

March 22, 2009 at 5:15 PM

 
Blogger goSonja said...

Way to take care of your recovery, to listen to your body, and to feed it what it needs to get through your workouts.

March 22, 2009 at 5:48 PM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Oh, Bree... wow! You have been logging some serious workouts, chica! I can't wait 'till those race reports start rollin' in so we can all enjoy the payoff! :o)

Totally lovin' the 'Chillaxin' song, btw. THAT is exactly how I remember HI! I'm quite determined to carve out my own little 'chillaxed' nitch here in Punta Gorda. ;p

Oh... and I am in total AWE of that very WIDE shoulder of the road that your peloton is riding on. You know FL, there's nothing like that around here. GORGEOUS!!!

March 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Ooo, I kind of dread those rides with the fast boys and getting my rear tire handed to me. I need to go out and do more of those.

March 23, 2009 at 3:23 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

You should totally have an Ice company sponsor! :) Way to go with the workouts and pushing yourself - this is the start to a GREAT season, I just know it!!!!

The recovery photo of you on the couch made me laugh - nice dazed look! hee hee hee - we've all been there, but you get the award for working the MOST! :)

March 23, 2009 at 4:16 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

and you so deserve those Ice baths (don't know if they are a good thing or not) I don't think I would like them.....It is ALL good pain and part of your job...so keep pushing it..GO Bree ;)

March 23, 2009 at 4:41 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

ouch ouch ouch. I hope your battery packs are reeeeeeeeee-charged now. :-)

March 23, 2009 at 5:35 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

OUCH! I hope you are on a recovery day today. What an accomplishment though. That week is OVER and you did it and did it strong! Know that is something to SMILE:) about!

March 23, 2009 at 5:57 AM

 
Blogger IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Training in paradise. I know it hurts but it could be worse... you could be in Chicago...

Don't forget to enjoy and embrace the day. You are living what many only dream.

Way to go!

March 23, 2009 at 6:37 AM

 
Blogger rr said...

Go Weee!!! my job is way easier than yours, sitting here in the office all day..

I'm not coming over this weekend, just too much with kids' break and all. Have a great race, wish I could be there!

March 23, 2009 at 7:04 AM

 
Blogger allyson said...

Great job. Have yet to try the ice baths.

March 23, 2009 at 2:37 PM

 
Blogger ace said...

I think I got a calf cramp just reading that... I think I'd name my legs and have a long talk with them about how I want them to get stronger for round 2. Way to go Bree!

March 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM

 
Blogger Danielle said...

Sounds like you need some recovery compression tights and a sports massage!

March 24, 2009 at 1:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home