Aloha!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

At The End of The Day...


This morning on my tea bag there was a great little quote: "Life is the stage on which we dance, guided by our hearts". I thought it was totally fitting for this stage in my life, just living in paradise all because I followed my heart here, having a job that I still find myself pinching myself because it feels like a dream, and being a mom to an incredible little boy... all because I followed my heart...

Camp day 2 was the longest ocean swim of my entire life. 5500 meters or yards, I don't even know what coach was measuring in. It was a lot of intervals (he called "extension to warm up"). I thought that was the MAIN SET and was dying to hang on to whoever was winning (it felt like a bunch of short races from kayak to buoy to kayak to buoy). Just when I thought we were done he sends us off to the Ironman turn around buoy at 70.3 pace, then back to shore at "pretend you are in an ITU race and don't want to miss the bike pack pace". That was insane. I hung and then I fell off, then I drowned. Not really, but it felt like I did and I was hoping nobody noticed the island girl was snorkling not swimming...

I was pretty bummed at myself. Tried to blame it on my lack of swim fitness, coach blamed it on my brain. It bugs me to be wrong, but he was right. The arms fell off and I let them go, float out to sea, and floated my bum back to shore with the turtles.

Then we had bike intervals. This was paybacks! The determination to hold on no matter what was at an all time high. After some warm up it was a 20 minute time trial section. In the bars, not looking back, ignoring the screaming legs, my head was focused down the road and that was that. Justin and Brent (the ITU/70.3 boys) were just up the road and my goal was to never let them get out of sight...

Round 2 was 5x4 in zone 4. Coach on the scooter agrees that if I can hang on to them I can draft. These may have been the nicest guys I ever road with because they were totally pulling for me to hold on. I thought for sure when coach made that plan they would spit me out, chew me up, and say, NO CHICK on my wheel. The first 3 rounds they did the work, I tried to take one pull (it lasted a good 8 seconds till Brent was back pulling me). Then I fell off and Coach scootered me back up to him. It may have been zone 8 for me keeping up with their zone 4. Round four I was fading and they were still just as strong. Unlike the swim I was not willing to float to shore, I did whatever I could to race that 4th round as fast as the legs and my feisty Argon 18 would move. Round 5 I can't even remember what color shorts the boys had on they just nailed it. It made me so encouraged to keep on keepin' on till the very end. When it was all said and done they were waiting with support... I totally owe them for keeping me on my pedals!

The run, that was a recovery run...still kinda clueless on how a run is recovery... but I am getting really good at running easy, camp does that to you, teaches you to run so easy any chance you get.

After all that fun the mail came! Travis Blanton, (Katya, Lisa, and I's manager) had suits made for us! For a chick that is worth celebrating! They are our Lavaman Triathlon suits. He thinks it is hilarious that we will be racing Sunday after smashing ourselves all week. I suppose his plan is that we at least look like we are having fun since we will for sure look like we are in a world of hurt! Thanks Travis!!

Then a team dinner where Kainoa mimicked & laughed at coach Paul during his speech. He must get that from me (just kidding).

So here I sit at the end of the day and I could not be more thankful. So thankful for my incredible team (and not just because I am no longer training alone), but the Lifesport gang really is my family and they even took Kainoa in too! Being able to swim, bike, and run all day long. My incredible sponsors, coaches, and manager who make it all possible. Just being able to dance through this life...

Time for bed.

Aloha Plenty...

.



18 Comments:

Blogger Ordinarylife said...

I so enjoy reading what training you are doing - although it does make me feel like a bit of a lazy git who needs to get out and do more.

Keep the posts coming.

March 25, 2009 at 12:38 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

That is some hard work Bree. But remember that it is all being safely stored for the race day ;-)

March 25, 2009 at 1:03 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Very inspiring... thank you :)

March 25, 2009 at 1:17 AM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

What a great way to finish an amazing day! New suits! Awesome!! Thanks for the great post!

Chloe

March 25, 2009 at 2:41 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Way to bounce back on the bike. Sounds like you are having fun with the team. Looking forward to your first race - right now I live vicariously as there is a dusting of snow here a-gain. Keep up the good work and go find those arms!

March 25, 2009 at 3:15 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

What a killer training day Bree! Lavaman is going to be crazy. I can't wait to read your race report.

March 25, 2009 at 3:21 AM

 
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, just reading that made me tired. :) Good luck at Lavaman! Cute suits!

March 25, 2009 at 3:43 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Loved reading about your bike - sounded so so so hard, but so satisfyingly good!! Way to go! :)

March 25, 2009 at 6:36 AM

 
Blogger Jenna said...

If ever in doubt, just remember you are ONE TOUGH MOFO (in Canada MOfo stand for a bad swearword - but I am using it to make a point). You are a fiestly little thing.

March 25, 2009 at 6:38 AM

 
Blogger rr said...

Great suits!! I love that Lisa's on Timex this year, excellent addition.. and those are all adorable!! Wish I was coming over for Lavaman.. I know how you race when you're tired - FAST. You're going to rock it.

March 25, 2009 at 7:19 AM

 
Blogger IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Nothing like reading your blog after a 6 mile run during my lunch break. Makes me want to get on the bike after work.

Good luck and keep up the inspirational writing..

March 25, 2009 at 7:20 AM

 
Blogger Natalie said...

Love those suits! I'm definitely going to get a Splish suit this year!

K must be coming upon his 3rd birthday here soon! Any fun plans?

Good luck at Lavaman! I'll be "trakking" you from here in MN!

March 25, 2009 at 9:07 AM

 
Blogger allyson said...

Wow, what a tough day. It sounds and seemed incredibly hard, glad you perserved and hung on. Also, cant wait to hear your Lavaman race report. Good Luck

March 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Great suits! You girls will not only be smokin' fast you will be looking good! Have fun and eat more recovery cookies!
tn

March 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

Nice suits. now I know who to look for this weekend so I can finally meet you. Of course by the time I finish you'll be showered and changed already.

March 25, 2009 at 4:52 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Teammates are the best!

Have fun and no more drowning...

March 25, 2009 at 6:56 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Glad your having fun and being inspired with your team Bree. That is an incredible swim distance, and then you had a heck of a ride after being out on Sunday. Way to go!! I am not sure that everyone realizes how incredibly hot it is in Kona on the rides. It is HOT HOT HOT, my hat is off to you again!!! Enjoy the rest of your week :)

March 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM

 
Blogger TriSaraTops said...

64 miles an hour?!?! I would have peed my bike shorts, for sure!

Looks like a solid day of training! Gotta love the friends for pulling ya through the hard workouts--good stuff! :) Way to get it done and kick butt.

March 26, 2009 at 2:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home